Posting on the internet - A ramble by Leela

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2016, 05:39 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2016 03:22 PM by Leerob.)
Posting on the internet - A ramble by Leela
Ramble start:

Here is a thing that I notice on myself a lot, especially recently.
So I go about reading a thing on the internet. Let's say on a forum or on a blog or on Facebook, etc. Just in a place where you can potentially post a reply.

So I read this thing that gets me thinking or that has me react in some way. My brain starts to have my fingers type a reply. Whatever it is. Then, because my brain is reasonably well trained, it has my eyes read back to it. And I start deleting stuff. A sentence and I read it again. Ok so let's just delete this whole paragraph. Ok much better. Let's read it again. Ok this word sounds rough, let me just rephrase that so I don't start a flamewar. Ah yes, sounds good now. Let's re-read it one more time. Ctrl+a > delete > move on.

It's like, you want to say a thing but you know that you will get this huge backlash about some very valid points you make but you realize that no matter how you put it, however you phrase it, what ever tone you use, there will be a flame war going on.

There was one thing, where I could not resist because it was too much of that bullshit, that this particular person had posted, and then they even said something along the lines of "I just had to delete my friend xyz because he said <insert valid point> and <insert disgust at valid point> and I didn't like it."
So I kinda started my answer with something along the lines of "Well if you want to delete me as well after this post, then so be it but at least read this" And I followed up with the same valid point. Long story short, I was not deleted or blocked.

But in another instance, in a pm in another forum, I got the vibe that this person, I was having a conversation with, will react very touchy to what I have to say, so it took me an hour (yes!) to write a message of like 4 lines. I kept rewriting and deleting things and in the end decided that a short clear message is the best. What I received back was a good mix of direct and indirect insults. Well since that person was one of the representatives of that place, I left because fuck that shit amiright.

So usually, by now, whenever I would really want to say something, no matter how valid my point is, I will move on and not say it all or I will write it down and in the end delete it anyway and move on.
Even here. I stay away from the forum section where I know I will get pissed. And if I end up reading a thread that starts to piss me off, I leave it because, usually the stuff that is posted around here, in those particular sections, is stuff I have said and heard and read a million times before. And I just don't feel like debating and fighting any more. I wanna have fun.

Like really just deleting stuff and moving on has become my best mechanism. I think I am getting too old for long emotional bs discussions with no outcome. Ain't nobody got time for that Big Grin

Ramble end

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Leerob's post
05-06-2016, 05:57 PM
RE: Posting on the internet - A ramble by Leela
I know what you mean, I do this sometimes as well. Though I must say that the best thing is to have a thick hide. If someone lashes out at you, it is a sign that they aren't in control of themselves and are allowing physical distance and the electronic nature of forum communication to save them. One can get in real pissing matches that way, but I'm of a mind to let the perp simmer in its own juice. "e-tough" is the phrase I've seen bandied about.
05-06-2016, 06:06 PM
I try to post on subjects I know. I see others do the opposite. Mainly xians who do not understand the system nor the time from which is derived. Especially the political process from which it gained prominence.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
05-06-2016, 07:03 PM
(05-06-2016 05:39 PM)Leela Wrote:  Ramble start:

Here is a thing that I notice on myself a lot, especially recently.
So I go about reading a thing on the internet. Let's say on a forum or on a blog or on Facebook, etc. Just in a place where you can potentially post a reply.

So I read this thing that gets me thinking or that has me react in some way. My brain starts to have my fingers type a reply. Whatever it is. Then, because my brain is reasonably well trained, it has my eyes read back to it. And I start deleting stuff. A sentence and I read it again. Ok so let's just delete this whole paragraph. Ok much better. Let's read it again. Ok this word sounds rough, let me just rephrase that so I don't start a flamewar. Ah yes, sounds good now. Let's re-read it one more time. Ctrl+a > delete > move on.

It's like, you want to say a thing but you know that you will get this huge backlash about some very valid points you make but you realize that no matter how you put it, however you phrase it, what ever tone you use, there will be a flame war going on.

There was one thing, where I could not resist because it was too much of that bullshit, that this particular person had posted, and then they even said something along the lines of "I just had to delete my friend xyz because he said <insert valid point> and <insert disgust at valid point> and I didn't like it."
So I kinda started my answer with something along the lines of "Well if you want to delete me as well after this post, then so be it but at least read this" And I followed up with the same valid point. Long story short, I was not deleted or blocked.

But in another instance, in a pm in another forum, I got the vibe that this person, I was having a conversation with, will react very touchy to what I have to say, so it took me an hour (yes!) to write a message of like 4 lines. I kept rewriting and deleting things and in the end decided that a short clear message is the best. What I received back was a good mix of direct and indirect results. Well since that person was one of the representatives of that place, I left because fuck that shit amiright.

So usually, by now, whenever I would really want to say something, no matter how valid my point is, I will move on and not say it all or I will write it down and in the end delete it anyway and move on.
Even here. I stay away from the forum section where I know I will get pissed. And if I end up reading a thread that starts to piss me off, I leave it because, usually the stuff that is posted around here, in those particular sections, is stuff I have said and heard and read a million times before. And I just don't feel like debating and fighting any more. I wanna have fun.

Like really just deleting stuff and moving on has become my best mechanism. I think I am getting too old for long emotional bs discussions with no outcome. Ain't nobody got time for that Big Grin

Ramble end

I do this all the time...

I'll type out huge long replies, edit them, fact check, spell check, and spend a considerable amount of time on it, only to go "nah, fuck it" and delete the whole thing. Sometimes it's to avoid a lengthy discussion that I can't be arsed with, or just to avoid conflict. Sometimes I'll start typing something, only to suddenly wonder why I feel the need to share it with anyone.

It seems like a waste of time, but sometimes I feel that by writing a thought down, whether I post it or not, I understand it better. Just the process of putting it into words helps it to become coherent.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
06-06-2016, 03:32 PM
(05-06-2016 07:03 PM)Sam Wrote:  I do this all the time...

I'll type out huge long replies, edit them, fact check, spell check, and spend a considerable amount of time on it, only to go "nah, fuck it" and delete the whole thing. Sometimes it's to avoid a lengthy discussion that I can't be arsed with, or just to avoid conflict. Sometimes I'll start typing something, only to suddenly wonder why I feel the need to share it with anyone.

It seems like a waste of time, but sometimes I feel that by writing a thought down, whether I post it or not, I understand it better. Just the process of putting it into words helps it to become coherent.

Perfectly put. It is exactly that.
For me it is not like the example from Fireball's post. I don't need a thicker skin really. My skin is thick. It is more like this scenario:
> Read post
> Answer to post
> Troll / asshole replies with something that could seem reasonable to some but in reality it is utter bullshit
> My brain: Nonono I need to set that straight because some people will be mislead by that asshole there.
> Huge stupid discussion follows.

So since I generally don't care any more who believes what bs and who has what opinion, as long as they leave me alone with their mental diarrhoea, I will simply move on.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
06-06-2016, 03:53 PM
[Image: duty_calls.png]

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post