Posts limit.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2011, 11:01 AM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2011 11:05 AM by Hughsie.)
Posts limit.
Apparently we have a posts limit on here. What's the deal with this? What is the limit and who does apply to, everyone or just new users?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-10-2011, 11:16 AM
RE: Posts limit.
Looking into it. I think that since we have a first post approval caveat in place, there really isn't any reason to limit posts for new users. Honestly, I didn't realize this was in place. (Could just be a default thingy).

So many cats, so few good recipes.
28-10-2011, 02:59 PM
How did this go unnoticed for so long? Better yet. What is the limit set at?

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
28-10-2011, 03:14 PM
It went unnoticed because noone has ever brought to my attention that they have gone over the limit. Not sure if you've ever run a forum before, but this kind of thing doesn't pop up very often, and I've never had reason to seek it out.

29-10-2011, 03:39 AM (This post was last modified: 29-10-2011 03:46 AM by DeepThought.)
The posting limit is a global setting and isn't very restrictive. It is set to 50/day. Unless you are spending all day on here typing up posts why should that be a problem?

Setting limits is only done for the sake of admin sanity to limit damage that can be done by disgruntled/abusive people or trolls.

There is also a post flood setting which is set to 60 seconds. Forums are not designed to be an instant messaging chat service so that will not be a problem unless you are submitting many one word posts.

How on earth were you hitting those limits? Other people haven't noticed these limits for a reason. I don't think they are restrictive and they are there to prevent abuse for the most part.

So settle down will ya! Noone is being oppressed by the evil censoring forum admin! Tongue

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
29-10-2011, 06:02 AM
50 posts?? Holy cow, thats a ton.

Thanks for finding it DeepThought.

29-10-2011, 09:56 AM

(29-10-2011 06:02 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  50 posts?? Holy cow, thats a ton.

Well, it says that I post 30 a day, but yesterday I got an error saying that my 50 were up.
I'm just confused & I was highly frustrated.
Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2011, 11:59 AM (This post was last modified: 29-10-2011 12:06 PM by Hughsie.)
If someone's either angry or trolling then I think they will get their point across in 50 posts anyway.

Besides, calmyourtitsbro has proven that legitimate forum members can get penalised by this. Can't we get rid of it?

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
29-10-2011, 05:36 PM
(29-10-2011 09:56 AM)calmyourtitsbro Wrote:  
(29-10-2011 06:02 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  50 posts?? Holy cow, thats a ton.

Well, it says that I post 30 a day, but yesterday I got an error saying that my 50 were up.
I'm just confused & I was highly frustrated.

Maybe you were incrementing the counter by editing and reposting. Still 30 in a day is allot!
I can set the limit higher but I will not remove the limit. It's there to protect the forum from abuse. I'm talking about bots as well. It doesn't have to be people.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
29-10-2011, 05:48 PM
(29-10-2011 05:36 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  Maybe you were incrementing the counter by editing and reposting. Still 30 in a day is allot!
I can set the limit higher but I will not remove the limit. It's there to protect the forum from abuse. I'm talking about bots as well. It doesn't have to be people.

I know it's your decision but I think at least an increase is needed. I've not seen a single bot since you introduced the 'first post approved' rule (stroke of genius by the way) but in the forum statistics it did list calmyourtitsbro as top poster with 50 posts. Surely that's proof enough that the rule is impeding valid forum members. I think it should be trialled at 100, we can always change it again if that doesn't work.

Best
Worst