Potential Conversation With a Pastor - ADVICE NEEDED

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3.5 Average
22-04-2010, 08:23 AM

RE: Potential Conversation With a Pastor - ADVICE NEEDED
I've been forced to think a lot about that lately.. If I were to become involved with a theist, married and have children I would not stand for letting them be indoctrinated and have their heads filled with nonsense before they are capable of really making up their minds.

And it is extremely difficult to find free thiking women were I live so I'm against the ropes. I can imagine what you are going through.
Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2010, 08:31 AM

(22-04-2010 08:23 AM)DrNekoDR Wrote:  I've been forced to think a lot about that lately.. If I were to become involved with a theist, married and have children I would not stand for letting them be indoctrinated and have their heads filled with nonsense before they are capable of really making up their minds.

And it is extremely difficult to find free thiking women were I live so I'm against the ropes. I can imagine what you are going through.

If the women are Bible believing Christians then they won't go out with you, or shouldn't go out with you.
22-04-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:If the women are Bible believing Christians then they won't go out with you, or shouldn't go out with you.

Discriminatory much?... the wonderful world of theistic discrimination...

But they do.
22-04-2010, 08:48 AM
To clarify - when we got married we were both vague theists, basically non-practicing Christians. Both raised with a Christian background, though neither of us went to church or were that interested.

For some reason (she believes it to be God's calling, or something), a couple of years ago, she had some sort of faith backlash and decides that she and the kids need to be going to church. Fast forward, she finds this conservative, anti-science, "America was founded strictly on Christian principles," we all need to turn back to God-type of Southern Baptist church, gets baptized, and is now involved at almost any available opportunity. As I feel the own pull of my upbringing in all this, I decide to actually investigate my faith, or her faith, or whatever. Coming to where I am today. She has gotten to the point where she firmly believes she is doing God's will, and thus, the right thing in raising our kids in the church - to the point where she really does not care in the least if it makes me uncomfortable. And I am left with the choice of possibly confusing my children, who are still quite young, or keeping silent in regards to things that I do not think are right.

Quote:If the women are Bible believing Christians then they won't go out with you, or shouldn't go out with you.

martin, your reply here is exactly the kind of thing that bothers me. She and I have had our problems in the past, but nothing this fundamentally opposed to each other. It has caused much strife, to say the least. She now believes (I think), that we are unequally yolked - and when we get into fights and arguments (which quickly ratchet up far past debate due to the emotional factor between us), I think she believes (at times) that maybe God is telling her to move on. Of course, God fails to make himself clear and so she is left to make her own decisions.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2010, 09:04 AM

Ugh... what a nightmare... I'm afraid I need to bow out of this... I have nothing constructive to add in the subject and it is waaaay too complicated.

Good luck man, I will work even harder to avoid this in my relationship.

Peace.
22-04-2010, 09:41 AM

(22-04-2010 08:35 AM)DrNekoDR Wrote:  

Discriminatory much?... the wonderful world of theistic discrimination...

But they do.

Bible says not to be married to an unbeliever, and why would you? You have two different beliefs. Not discrimination it's smart.

If you are already married as unbelievers or believers and one becomes a believer or an unbeliever it says stay married.
22-04-2010, 09:48 AM

See?... religion breeds discrimination.
22-04-2010, 09:53 AM

(22-04-2010 08:48 AM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  To clarify - when we got married we were both vague theists, basically non-practicing Christians. Both raised with a Christian background, though neither of us went to church or were that interested.

For some reason (she believes it to be God's calling, or something), a couple of years ago, she had some sort of faith backlash and decides that she and the kids need to be going to church. Fast forward, she finds this conservative, anti-science, "America was founded strictly on Christian principles," we all need to turn back to God-type of Southern Baptist church, gets baptized, and is now involved at almost any available opportunity. As I feel the own pull of my upbringing in all this, I decide to actually investigate my faith, or her faith, or whatever. Coming to where I am today. She has gotten to the point where she firmly believes she is doing God's will, and thus, the right thing in raising our kids in the church - to the point where she really does not care in the least if it makes me uncomfortable. And I am left with the choice of possibly confusing my children, who are still quite young, or keeping silent in regards to things that I do not think are right.

martin, your reply here is exactly the kind of thing that bothers me. She and I have had our problems in the past, but nothing this fundamentally opposed to each other. It has caused much strife, to say the least. She now believes (I think), that we are unequally yolked - and when we get into fights and arguments (which quickly ratchet up far past debate due to the emotional factor between us), I think she believes (at times) that maybe God is telling her to move on. Of course, God fails to make himself clear and so she is left to make her own decisions.

Sorry for the problems, I am divorced after 20 years of marriage with three kids, trust me it sucks, I didn't want it. God is clear, Bible says "God hates divorce" According to the Bible, if she is following it and getting right counseling, then SHE SHOULD NOT DIVORCE YOU! Will she? don't know. From the Biblical perspective and hopefully what the Pastor is telling her, she needs to be the best wife she can be to you. She should not be arguing or getting angry, she should have peace. Thereby being a good witness to you and you will see the errors of your ways and come back to God. That is the Biblical perspective. But of course not everyone follows it including my ex-wife.
(22-04-2010 09:48 AM)DrNekoDR Wrote:  See?... religion breeds discrimination.

You are smarter than that. That is an atheist response not a thinking response. It's called compatibility, nothing to do with discrimination.
22-04-2010, 11:41 AM
(22-04-2010 09:41 AM)martinb59 Wrote:  Bible says not to be married to an unbeliever, and why would you?

HEY!

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:You are smarter than that. That is an atheist response not a thinking response. It's called compatibility, nothing to do with discrimination.

No what you are talking about is discrimination, its dismissing someone based on a belief of lack of it.. something I do not do.

It is the same as discrimination against gays, ethnicity, political view, family, nationality, take your pick.

Two people can have different beliefs and still be completely compatible
(22-04-2010 11:41 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(22-04-2010 09:41 AM)martinb59 Wrote:  Bible says not to be married to an unbeliever, and why would you?

HEY!

LOL!!