Potential Human Head Transplants...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2016, 09:51 AM
Exclamation Potential Human Head Transplants...
I found this article today in The Atlantic news magazine:

The Audacious Plan to Save This Man’s Life by Transplanting His Head.

Two questions... would you go ahead with it if your prognosis was imminent death caused by your body's dysfunctional condition? What terms of reference would you use to make your decision one way or the other?

I guess I'd personally be balancing the chance of a "normal" life for another 25 or so years against the risk of living in some sort of unimaginable physical and/or mental agony for (say) 12 months—before I screamed for euthanasia to end that relentless anguish. I'm not a gambler by any means, so I think I'd be favouring an approaching death, but it's such an extreme hypothetical it's almost impossible for me to reach a conclusion.

..... Huh

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2016, 09:05 AM
RE: Potential Human Head Transplants...
I read the entire article. Wild. I don't know that I would do it. But then I'm not in a position where I have to consider it for real.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
16-08-2016, 09:43 AM
The results aren't always ascetically pleasing.......

[Image: CheAlAsWUAUjhXG.jpg]

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
16-08-2016, 09:59 AM
I donno. This whole thing sounds like pretty heady business.

snort

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
16-08-2016, 10:25 AM

[Image: mzl.imxavlol.320x480-75.jpg]

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
16-08-2016, 10:36 AM
This bring up a new moral question. Lets say it's a success (which from what I understand it could very much be) Let's say the person now with functioning body wishes to have children. Would the head be the one fathering (or mothering) the child. Or would it be the body of the deseasd that was used to did so. Dose the body have right's over the mind?

If the head is transplanted to a younger body would that prolong ones life? From what i've heard when this ones done of baboons they killed the baboons not long after the experiment was complete. (ethical reasons) Earlier experiments that I head done with this in Russia the test subjects (dogs and monkeys) went mad. And killed themselves.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
16-08-2016, 11:03 AM
(16-08-2016 10:36 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  This bring up a new moral question. Lets say it's a success (which from what I understand it could very much be) Let's say the person now with functioning body wishes to have children. Would the head be the one fathering (or mothering) the child. Or would it be the body of the deseasd that was used to did so. Dose the body have right's over the mind?

I think it depends on where the genes come from. Arent they kept in the balls for men? Sorry, but I am terrible in biology.

(16-08-2016 10:36 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  If the head is transplanted to a younger body would that prolong ones life? From what i've heard when this ones done of baboons they killed the baboons not long after the experiment was complete. (ethical reasons) Earlier experiments that I head done with this in Russia the test subjects (dogs and monkeys) went mad. And killed themselves.

It might depend on if aging is something programmed in the brain. Something for the bio gurus to pore over.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
16-08-2016, 11:59 AM
I've read the documented evidence of "phantom limbs" that amputees report, plus the ongoing, intense pain they sometimes experience. What if the head felt that the newly attached body was only a phantom body?

Or if the body had suffered from some neurological condition such as restless leg syndrome, would its "new" brain fix the disorder?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
16-08-2016, 01:31 PM
(16-08-2016 11:59 AM)SYZ Wrote:  I've read the documented evidence of "phantom limbs" that amputees report, plus the ongoing, intense pain they sometimes experience. What if the head felt that the newly attached body was only a phantom body?

Or if the body had suffered from some neurological condition such as restless leg syndrome, would its "new" brain fix the disorder?

Ewwww. That reminds me of this...

[Image: c4450b225eb8ec6a0eb1cc1daf4391c0.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
16-08-2016, 01:40 PM
(16-08-2016 09:43 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The results aren't always ascetically pleasing.......

[Image: CheAlAsWUAUjhXG.jpg]

This guy found a Genie in a bottle. When she granted him three wishes, his first wish was...
Wink
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post