Practical atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2014, 03:07 PM
Wink Practical atheist
Hello everyone!

I hope I came to the right forum. Undecided

I identify myself as an apatheist (The existence of gods is not rejected, but may be designated unnecessary or useless; gods neither provide purpose to life, nor influence everyday life) and it's not because I outwardly reject god or don't care about the question, it's because I don't care about the answer.

If god is real, he either cares whether I worship him or not. If he doesn't care, I feel I'll get into whatever heaven there is just out of my good deeds, belief doesn't make a good person.

If he does care about my worship and he will damn me simply for not believing in him regardless of my good deeds, I wouldn't want to spend eternity with him anyway.

If he isn't even real, I guess I win either way.

Peace
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Omnipotent's post
05-09-2014, 03:11 PM
RE: Practical atheist
Hello Omni, welcome to the forum.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
05-09-2014, 04:06 PM
Hi! Welcome! I self identify as an agnostic atheist.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
05-09-2014, 04:35 PM
Welcome to TTA.

Newbies bring the donuts - I hope you brought the ones with chocolate icing and sprinkles.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 4 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
05-09-2014, 04:48 PM
welcome!

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
06-09-2014, 09:45 AM
Thank you all for the warm welcome! Big Grin
06-09-2014, 10:57 AM
(05-09-2014 03:07 PM)Omnipotent Wrote:  Hello everyone!

I hope I came to the right forum. Undecided

I identify myself as an apatheist (The existence of gods is not rejected, but may be designated unnecessary or useless; gods neither provide purpose to life, nor influence everyday life) and it's not because I outwardly reject god or don't care about the question, it's because I don't care about the answer.

If god is real, he either cares whether I worship him or not. If he doesn't care, I feel I'll get into whatever heaven there is just out of my good deeds, belief doesn't make a good person.

If he does care about my worship and he will damn me simply for not believing in him regardless of my good deeds, I wouldn't want to spend eternity with him anyway.

If he isn't even real, I guess I win either way.

Peace

Meh, we do not need to keep making up new words to describe the same things.

There is a time frame issue when it comes to claims. Past, current, and future.

You can be "agnostic" about the future but certain about current and past cllaims.

I am absolutely certain about all past and current god claims. So unless the future brings evidence to the contrary I maintain my position on past and current claims.

I am an agnostic atheist. But even with the future, that is really strictly semantic only considering like you said, god is not required. On top of it not being required we have tons of evidence that humans make them up. So I think it is perfectly reasonable to throw bad claims and highly unlikely claims in the trash can and move on.

Asserting a god, any god to me, is like clinging to the extremely remote possibility that invisible pink unicorns exist because we have not lived the future yet.

Anywho welcome. Be sure to barbecue kittens, record the NFL without their permission and rip the tags off of your mattress.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-09-2014, 11:15 AM
Welcome to our kickass community!

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
07-09-2014, 09:54 AM
Welcome to TTA.

Here have a cookie:

[Image: 800px-2ChocolateChipCookies.jpg]

"Newton's third law: The only way humans have ever figured out of getting somewhere is to leave something behind." - TARS, Interstellar
"Newtons drittes Gesetz: Der einzige Weg wie Menschen irgendwo hin kommen, ist der dass sie etwas zurücklassen." - TARS, Interstellar
[+] 1 user Likes therealJim's post
07-09-2014, 09:58 AM
(07-09-2014 09:54 AM)therealJim Wrote:  Welcome to TTA.

Here have a cookie:

[Image: 800px-2ChocolateChipCookies.jpg]

If that's chocolate chip with cinnamon, I'm all over that.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post