Poll: Which promotes practicality
Atheism
Theism
Unrelated
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Practicality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Practicality
Which promotes practicality more? Atheism, theism, or is practicality completely unrelated?

Personally I tend to think that in large part theism helps people to draw conclusions from first impressions based on prior knowledge which then leads to issues when theists attempt to apply their concepts in real world situations whereas atheism tends to make you feel better about looking at hard data to draw some type of conclusion.

Since these types of questions require framing I'll assume you guys know the difference between theism and atheism (on an atheist forum hopefully right?) and I'll post as many definitions for practical and practicality that I can find.

Definitions---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Google search term "define practicality":
prac·ti·cal·i·ty
/ˌpraktiˈkalətē/
Noun
The quality or state of being practical.
The aspects of a situation that involve the actual doing or experience of something rather than theories or ideas.

From Google search term "define practical":
prac·ti·cal
/ˈpraktikəl/
Adjective
Of or concerned with the actual doing or use of something.
(of an idea, plan, or method) Likely to succeed or be effective in real circumstances; feasible.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/practical
Definition of PRACTICAL
1 a : of, relating to, or manifested in practice or action : not theoretical or ideal
b : being such in practice or effect : virtual
2 : actively engaged in some course of action or occupation
3 : capable of being put to use or account : useful
4 a : disposed to action as opposed to speculation or abstraction
b (1) : qualified by practice or practical training (2) : designed to supplement theoretical training by experience
5 : concerned with voluntary action and ethical decisions

Talent hits the target no one else can hit, while genius hits the target no one knew existed.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2013, 11:38 AM
RE: Practicality
I think the survey is poorly phrased.

You do know that "Atheism" is not a thing, right? There is no such thing as atheism. It is merely the lack of a thing, that thing being belief in god(s). So atheism doesn't promote (or unpromote) practicality because there is no such thing as atheism.

"Atheism" is a useful word in a religious conversation to denote people who are not inclined to believe in that religion, but outside of a specifically religious conversation (such as this survey) the word "atheism" is meaningless.

No two atheists are alike. We aren't a club, a religion, a social group, or a group of any kind. We don't all have the same values, same beliefs, same goals, same ideas, same ideology. We're all different individuals and the only thing we have in common is that we don't believe in god(s).

Or to put it another way, you might replace the word "theism" in this survey with "swimming" and "atheism" in this survey with "non-swimming" and ask the same question:

Which promotes practicality more? Swimming, non-swimming, or is practicality completely unrelated?

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
08-02-2013, 12:42 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2013 12:45 PM by Vosur.)
Neither, since practicality is unrelated to a belief (or lack thereof) in god(s).

As long you (collective "you") are able to prevent your religious beliefs (or lack thereof) from influencing your ability to think rationally and critically, it doesn't matter which god(s) you do or don't believe in. World-class scientists from both sides of the spectrum are a great example of this.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
08-02-2013, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I guess I hadn't fully thought it through and I'll try to do that part a bit more in the furture. I'm glad I had enough foresight to prepare for the contingency of practicality being unrelated.

Talent hits the target no one else can hit, while genius hits the target no one knew existed.