Practicing Roman Catholic, here.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2013, 06:57 PM
RE: Practicing Roman Catholic, here.
(21-11-2013 06:38 PM)C²L Wrote:  
(21-11-2013 09:30 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  Welcome. You have no control over how you were raised.

The question is, why, with all the revelations about the crimes of the church which have surfaced in the last decade do you still remain?

(It's Church with a capital letter, proper noun. You have no control over how you where taught grammar)

Let's see some atheist history over the past decade (or so)

[Image: stalin-bio.jpg]

Stalin, a devout atheist, killed more people than Hitler and Genghis Khan combined.

I would also bring up Pol Pot and so forth, but that would be generalizing someones beliefs based on things a few members have done. But you'd never do anything like that. Drinking Beverage

Stalin was a trained Jesuit Priest so is even now on iconography in the Eastern Orthodox Church, so not really an Atheist. As to Pol Pot I would say that Communism simply became his religion (happens a lot with those types they deify the state) but even so compared to the Crusades and the Inquisition and the witch burnings I would say Atheism has tons of ground to make up to even be within the shadow of Christianity.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-11-2013, 07:06 PM
(21-11-2013 06:57 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(21-11-2013 06:38 PM)C²L Wrote:  (It's Church with a capital letter, proper noun. You have no control over how you where taught grammar)

Let's see some atheist history over the past decade (or so)

[Image: stalin-bio.jpg]

Stalin, a devout atheist, killed more people than Hitler and Genghis Khan combined.

I would also bring up Pol Pot and so forth, but that would be generalizing someones beliefs based on things a few members have done. But you'd never do anything like that. Drinking Beverage

Stalin was a trained Jesuit Priest so is even now on iconography in the Eastern Orthodox Church, so not really an Atheist. As to Pol Pot I would say that Communism simply became his religion (happens a lot with those types they deify the state) but even so compared to the Crusades and the Inquisition and the witch burnings I would say Atheism has tons of ground to make up to even be within the shadow of Christianity.

Ah, the Crusades. Well, everyone was killing everyone in the medieval days, usually for religion, and most of the crusaders were not even following Catholic rules. That chapter in Catholic history is not really about Catholicism but about European warlords. Also, Stalin became an atheist. He followed the position that religion was an opiate that needed to be removed in order to construct the ideal communist society. His government promoted atheism through special atheistic education in schools, anti-religious propaganda, the antireligious work of public institutions (Society of the Godless), discriminatory laws, and a terror campaign against religious believers. By the late 1930s it had become dangerous to be publicly associated with religion.
21-11-2013, 07:20 PM (This post was last modified: 21-11-2013 07:29 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(21-11-2013 11:43 AM)kim Wrote:  
(21-11-2013 04:45 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I gotta get me one of them "glow in the darks". I think they have em on eBay. I need to order an indulgence too. Can never have too many "get of of jail free" cards. Tongue

What's an "indulgence"? Consider

Wait... Sadcryface do I want to know?

Umm, well, ya see, even though when you die, you enter a non-temporal state, ya really don't. (really makes sense I know).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indulgence
It was one of the things the Protties got their undies all in a bunch about, WAY back when. But they still exist, (as a matter of doctrine).
Ya got yer regl'ar indulgence, and ya got yer "Plenary indulgence".
Ya see Reality is up to Rome to "bind and loose", (don't cha know). Weeping
There is an "account book" in the sky, (no really there is), and they help pay off yer deb-its. Couch, cough. http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07783a.htm
I am a Certified Indulgence Accountant. I keep track of these things, (for a fee of course), and the *time* you have to suffer* to *pay* for yer sins, (even though you are already redeemed, and we DO re-do Mass every day, cuz one of these days we know the sacrifice will "take", ya see), and even though there is no *time* in a spiritual environment. Cough cough. Not to worry. It doesn't HAVE to make sense, you just HAVE to believe. That's what they have the guys in dresses for ... they will figgure it all out FOR ya.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
21-11-2013, 07:30 PM
(21-11-2013 07:20 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(21-11-2013 11:43 AM)kim Wrote:  What's an "indulgence"? Consider

Wait... Sadcryface do I want to know?

Umm, well, ya see, even though when you die, you enter a non-temporal state, ya really don't. (really makes sense I know).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indulgence
It was one of the things the Protties got their undies all in a bunch about, WAY back when. But they still exist, (as a matter of doctrine).
Ya got yer reglar indulgence, and ya got yer "Plenary indulgence".
Ya see Reality is up to Rome to "bind and loose", (don't cha know). Weeping
There is an "account book" in the sky, (no really there is), and they help pay off yer deb-its. Couch, cough. http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07783a.htm

Blink
I thought we stopped doing that like, a million years ago?

Are you SURRREEE....?

I'd like to see my checkbook. It probably has '-9999999999999999999999 Jesucredits: Joined TTA'
21-11-2013, 07:33 PM
Transubstantiation. That's all I need to know about Catholicism. Tongue

(21-11-2013 05:14 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I like catholic girls. Lots of guilt afterwards... it's funny.

I just married her. Going on some 30 years ago now. Big Grin

Welcome Catholic! Welcome to the machine.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
21-11-2013, 07:36 PM
(21-11-2013 07:33 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Transubstantiation. That's all I need to know about Catholicism. Tongue

What do you mean by that? Smile

I'd be more than willing to answer some questions... though you probably know more than I do about the technicality, it's still good to know something Catholic from the Catholic POV.
21-11-2013, 07:46 PM (This post was last modified: 21-11-2013 07:54 PM by GirlyMan.)
(21-11-2013 07:36 PM)C²L Wrote:  
(21-11-2013 07:33 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Transubstantiation. That's all I need to know about Catholicism. Tongue

What do you mean by that? Smile

It's absurd. Even more preposterous than some bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of identity. But Girly knows a thing or two about the absurd himself so I ain't gonna rack your balls over it. Hell, I don't get all up in my wife's grill over it so why would I yours?

Again, welcome Catholic! You fuckers do know how to properly drink, I'll give you that. Big Grin

21-11-2013, 07:53 PM
(21-11-2013 07:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(21-11-2013 07:36 PM)C²L Wrote:  What do you mean by that? Smile

It's absurd. Even more preposterous than some bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of identity. But Girly knows a thing or two about the absurd himself so I ain't gonna hold it against you. Hell, I don't hold it against my wife so why would I hold it against you?

Again, welcome Catholic! You fuckers do know how to properly drink, I'll give you that. Big Grin

Absurd? With that profile pic of yours? I don't buy it. Tongue

What's so bad about it? It's just taking bread and wine and communing with Jesus in memory of Him and what He did with it. No reason to be frightened. Do you not like the notions of cannibalism? If so, let me say that it is not cannibalism. You are eating the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ, but He is the redeemer of sins, shedding His blood "for the forgiveness of sins". Go read a wiki article!
Cool
21-11-2013, 08:05 PM (This post was last modified: 21-11-2013 08:11 PM by GirlyMan.)
(21-11-2013 07:53 PM)C²L Wrote:  
(21-11-2013 07:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  It's absurd. Even more preposterous than some bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of identity. But Girly knows a thing or two about the absurd himself so I ain't gonna hold it against you. Hell, I don't hold it against my wife so why would I hold it against you?

Absurd? With that profile pic of yours? I don't buy it. Tongue

What's so bad about it? It's just taking bread and wine and communing with Jesus in memory of Him and what He did with it.

Girly ain't got no problem with communing with Jesus, I mean being how as I am my own personal Jesus and shit and The Word showed me the way. I am quite sure Jesus was an atheist. But bread and wine becoming body and blood of some dude who if he ever existed been's dead 2000 years but I just don't notice it is just fucking so much nonsense. Nothing intrinsically bad about it. It's just fucking nonsense. Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
21-11-2013, 08:43 PM
(21-11-2013 08:05 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(21-11-2013 07:53 PM)C²L Wrote:  Absurd? With that profile pic of yours? I don't buy it. Tongue

What's so bad about it? It's just taking bread and wine and communing with Jesus in memory of Him and what He did with it.

Girly ain't got no problem with communing with Jesus, I mean being how as I am my own personal Jesus and shit and The Word showed me the way. I am quite sure Jesus was an atheist. But bread and wine becoming body and blood of some dude who if he ever existed been's dead 2000 years but I just don't notice it is just fucking so much nonsense. Nothing intrinsically bad about it. It's just fucking nonsense. Tongue

[Image: comm-b4-trans.jpg]

Is this confusing you?

I mean, obviously the transubstantiation of the Host wouldn't be believed by an atheist, but why is it fucking nonsense? And He's not been dead for 2,000 years, but three days.