Praise the lord!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Praise the lord!
Well, today I caused a bunch of people to praise the lord.

My handiman showed up this morning when I just happened to be outside (luckily). He got out of his truck and told me he doesn't feel well and just took one baby aspirin because his chest hurt.

So I say that one baby aspirin isn't going to do diddly about chest pain and he had to take a bunch more. So he takes 3 more babies and one adult one.

Then he turns white and doubles over and lies on the ground.

He doesn't want an ambulance but I run and call 911 anyway and they tell me to give him 4 more aspirin. He swallows these too. Then I made him lie on his side in case he has to throw up and wait with him. First responders arrive, then the ambulance arrives. Off to the hospital he goes and there he is now with two stints in his heart and one more blocked artery they didn't touch yet.

So my book keeper lives next to his mom (small town) and I had sent her over there to inform them and maybe drive them to the city. Which she did.

Anyway, when they get back she calls me from their house and thanks me and yells "praise the lord" and I hear all these people behind her yelling the same.

He was just lucky he got here before the shit hit the fan. Oh, no, I forgot, the lord timed it. Gave him a heart attack but made sure he got here first and I was outside. How nice of him. Praise the lord!

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
24-07-2012, 07:51 PM
RE: Praise the lord!
More like, Praise Dom! Bowing

Well done, nice lady Heart

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
24-07-2012, 07:51 PM
You are an instrument of God!

Heaven forbid (cough, cough) that human action be counted as what saved the man.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
24-07-2012, 08:03 PM
Anyone can hand out aspirin and make a phone call. It's the docs that saved him.

I learned something - you have to take a shitload of baby aspirin when you have a heart attack, and it's questionable if you can get them all down.

He did manage to swallow them all dry but there was the danger that they would come back up since he was writhing in pain.

Best to keep some extra strength adult ones around. Not as much swallowing involved. Not that I expect the lord to send me anymore men with heart attacks.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
24-07-2012, 08:21 PM
(24-07-2012 08:03 PM)Dom Wrote:  Anyone can hand out aspirin and make a phone call. It's the docs that saved him.

I learned something - you have to take a shitload of baby aspirin when you have a heart attack, and it's questionable if you can get them all down.

He did manage to swallow them all dry but there was the danger that they would come back up since he was writhing in pain.

Best to keep some extra strength adult ones around. Not as much swallowing involved. Not that I expect the lord to send me anymore men with heart attacks.

Yeh, anyone CAN but do they? No, as so many have no idea what's going on or they panic. So my comment still stands! Take it or leave it Big Grin

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
24-07-2012, 09:33 PM
You didn't freeze like some would have...you knew what to do and you did it. I agree with Aurora. ClapClap

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
24-07-2012, 10:40 PM
He's very fortunate you were there and were ready, willing, and able to take action and call for help. Great work! Hopefully he's doing well now that he's gotten medical attention.
25-07-2012, 02:59 AM
OK, did I get this one right... The guy has chest pain, he takes one aspirin and the pain does not go away, so you tell him to take 3-4 more, he does but then he turns white and falls down, so the doctors tell him to take another 4 pills?

So, if I get shot in the head, and you then shoot me 3 more times in the head, will the doctors tell you to shoot me another 3 times in the head? Strange...

Big Grin

Next time I think it would be best to call 911 before taking even the first pill, chest pain is not something you just treat with one baby aspirin and then you go to work.

Dom, congratulations, you did a lot to save that man's life.

Praise Dom and Aspirins!

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
25-07-2012, 08:16 AM
(25-07-2012 02:59 AM)Filox Wrote:  OK, did I get this one right... The guy has chest pain, he takes one aspirin and the pain does not go away, so you tell him to take 3-4 more, he does but then he turns white and falls down, so the doctors tell him to take another 4 pills?

So, if I get shot in the head, and you then shoot me 3 more times in the head, will the doctors tell you to shoot me another 3 times in the head? Strange...

Big Grin

Next time I think it would be best to call 911 before taking even the first pill, chest pain is not something you just treat with one baby aspirin and then you go to work.

Dom, congratulations, you did a lot to save that man's life.

Praise Dom and Aspirins!

Well, I knew that you are supposed to give aspirin first (if you have it) and then call 911 when someone has chest pain. And 911 had me give him 4 more... There seems to be a confusion with the baby and adult aspirin, babies are for prevention and adult ones for treatment. And it takes a shitload of babies to equal one adult. And they have to disolve before they start working. His never started to work until after the event. But without them he would likely be dead.

The handiman said he started feeling sick in the car (don't know at what point during his 45 minute drive) and had light chest pain and popped his one baby pill on the way. Much of the drive is through the woods, he practically had to finish the drive or die by the road side. He also said he had this pain before and took baby aspirin and it went away. Looks like he was living in denial and was a heart attack waiting to happen. And this one was massive.

He was walking and talking when he arrived. So the major event didn't happen until after he got here. He is lucky I got more aspirin in him before the attack happened. BTW chewing them is better than swallowing, faster activation. But I didn't think of that. And aspirin tastes horrid, may have made him throw up, he did say he felt like throwing up. Thats why I made him lie on his side, you don't tend to aspirate that way if you throw up.

The moral of the story is, have adult aspirin at hand and pay attention when your body tells you something. He is not the usual heart attack suspect, he is slender and works with his body all day. Lots of exercise. Blood pressure fine. He is an out of work contractor doing handiman work. A gem among handimen, he knows his stuff and he always goes the extra mile to make his job perfect.

Maybe he has been under lots of stress due to the economy and not being able to find contracting work. I also know he is divorced but don't know how long ago. But there are possible huge stress factors. Maybe he also stresses himself with wanting to get everything perfect. But he always came across as a very calm person.

The funny thing is that people thank you and think it's an act of empathy when you help someone like this. It's not. I feel no empathy at times like that, and life has handed me a few situations where action was required, including a very gory car accident. I feel absolutely nothing. I just do what has to be done, very rational, no emotions at all. When all is said and done, then I have emotions. But during the event, I am more like a robot.

Yesterday, all I was thinking was "chestpain - aspirin - 911". That's it. During that car accident I was in, all I could think was "blood - stop it". I am cold as a cucumber when shit happens. I don't normally like the sight of blood, but during that accident it might as well have been that a glass of lemonade sprung a leak and I was trying to stop it from running out on the table.

The human mind has always fascinated me. I have no idea how, why and exactly when I slip into robot mode, it's not a conscious decision.

I am not prone to panic at all. Maybe it's my dad's harping on this: "If it's broke, just fix it". He didn't much believe in punishment, he believed in having us fix things. It's kind of how I live life. Thanks, dad, it works for me.

[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
25-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Indeed, praise the almighty Sith Lord Vader for saving this man using the dark side of the force, all glory be to him.... Bowing Evil_monster

What, he's got about the same kill count as Yahweh, about one planets worth, give or take a few thousand, and we have proof and evidence of him ON VIDEO, more than just a dusty old book. Laughat

On a more serious note, good work Dom, hope he's ok now (sorry if I missed anything, it was late when I posted this and I just skimmed the article) and hope it isn't too unbearable listening to people give their imaginary friend credit for everything you and the doctors did.

As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil which they set out to destroy.
- Christopher Dawson

Battle not with monsters, lest you become a monster.
- Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Epsilon's post