Pray for (insert name here)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2015, 02:17 PM
Pray for (insert name here)
So I've been noticing this trend on my facebook feed. Keep in mind most of my "friends" on there are from my home state of Mississippi where knowledge is looked down on.

Now what happens is I'll be scrolling along and I'll come across a picture of some woman or kid who have been either stricken with a disease or had acid thrown on them or something of the sort. Now all of these post have this blurb about what happened then a little nugget of "god blessed them and saved them". Now I know most of you are no stranger to these proclamations of how good god is on facebook by people but this type of post is rather troublesome to me. First off I don't think half of the stories are what actually happened seeing as it's facebook. Secondly, who are these people who are doing these bad things to women and kids. Shouldn't that take precedent over making your god seem all nice? It seems they don't really care about these people their just looking for likes.

Ohhhhhh how can I forget the elephant in the room. Why did your god allow this to happen anyway? Why didn't he stop it before it even happened? Oh I forgot need to have some leverage to make your people stay put. Got it.

I know this is nothing new I apologize but I am getting to this point where I can't stand by and listen to half of this shit anymore. How do people not hear themselves spew out this stuff without any thought of what it actually means. What hurts the most is that all of my older reletives who I love a ton have this thought process on just god. Everything else they question and question again. Just makes me lose hope on if we will ever reach a better educated society. Undecided
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like MrKrispy601's post
26-08-2015, 03:00 PM
RE: Pray for (insert name here)
(26-08-2015 02:17 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  So I've been noticing this trend on my facebook feed. Keep in mind most of my "friends" on there are from my home state of Mississippi where knowledge is looked down on.

Now what happens is I'll be scrolling along and I'll come across a picture of some woman or kid who have been either stricken with a disease or had acid thrown on them or something of the sort. Now all of these post have this blurb about what happened then a little nugget of "god blessed them and saved them". Now I know most of you are no stranger to these proclamations of how good god is on facebook by people but this type of post is rather troublesome to me. First off I don't think half of the stories are what actually happened seeing as it's facebook. Secondly, who are these people who are doing these bad things to women and kids. Shouldn't that take precedent over making your god seem all nice? It seems they don't really care about these people their just looking for likes.

Ohhhhhh how can I forget the elephant in the room. Why did your god allow this to happen anyway? Why didn't he stop it before it even happened? Oh I forgot need to have some leverage to make your people stay put. Got it.

I know this is nothing new I apologize but I am getting to this point where I can't stand by and listen to half of this shit anymore. How do people not hear themselves spew out this stuff without any thought of what it actually means. What hurts the most is that all of my older reletives who I love a ton have this thought process on just god. Everything else they question and question again. Just makes me lose hope on if we will ever reach a better educated society. Undecided

There's a great meme over in the "Funny Pictures About Religion" section that addresses this issue. It refers to people praying for starving children in Africa, and then concludes that "God must be listening, because there are millions of them."

Laugh out load
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
26-08-2015, 03:54 PM
RE: Pray for (insert name here)
(26-08-2015 02:17 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  Ohhhhhh how can I forget the elephant in the room. Why did your god allow this to happen anyway? Why didn't he stop it before it even happened? Oh I forgot need to have some leverage to make your people stay put. Got it.

The usual line of thought here is that god doesn't interfere with our activities, we have free will, he just does something at the end of it. The 'god is merciful' bit has to do with how god supposedly helped them survive it. It's a bit of a slippery slope, though. The more usual argument these days is about things like earthquakes and tornadoes which lack any semblance of will and thus cannot be under the free will banner.