• 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2014, 03:09 PM
RE: Prayer And Theists Constantly Contradicting Themselves On The Subject
Compare prayer with witchcraft and watch how ticked some people get. Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2014, 10:24 PM
(06-01-2014 03:44 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I have found that theists constantly contradict themselves when it comes to the subject of prayer. For example:

Scenario 1: A theist prays to their god asking for his help in something (such as a sick friend or relative making a healthy recovery from an illness or surgery).
Result: The friend or relative makes a healthy recovery.
Explanation by theist: I prayed to God and he helped me by answering my prayer.

Scenario 2: A theist prays to their god asking for his help in something (such as a sick friend or relative making a healthy recovery from an illness or surgery).
Result: The friend/relative does not recover and dies.
Explanation by theist: It wasn't in God's plan.

Well, if it wasn't in God's plan, then what the heck is the point of praying? As George Carlin said: "Is God going to change his plan for every pissant with a prayer?"

What about the people who prayed just as hard as you (or even harder) whose relative or friend ended up dying? If prayer actually works, and you claim it worked for you, doesn't that mean that you are more special in the eyes of God, because he chose to help you, while others did not get his help?

I simply find the whole "God's plan" excuse to simply be a poor cover-all defense for "I have no explanation." I constantly find theists using both of these explanations whenever they see fit, even though they completely contradict themselves by doing so. One minute it's "prayer works, and it worked for me", then the next minute it's simply "it's not in God's plan".

What about God helping you with some minor thing, while there are far worse things happening out there, yet he doesn't help the ones in those situations? God helps Tim Tebow win football games, but he does nothing while some child is being raped somewhere? I think that makes his priorities pretty fucked up.
the point of asking God through the prayer is to receive an answer.
God always gives an answer during the prayer.
Sometimes He says "Yes, I will help/give". Sometimes His answer is :"Not yet". Sometimes His answer is "I won't help you with this. This is not my plan".
By the power of the Holy Ghost I may know during the prayer what kind of outcome will be.

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection
08-01-2014, 10:30 PM
(08-01-2014 10:24 PM)Alla Wrote:  the point of asking God through the prayer is to receive an answer.
Sometimes He says "Yes, I will help/give". Sometimes His answer is :"Not yet". Sometimes His answer is "I won't help you with this. This is not my plan".
By the power of the Holy Ghost I may know during the prayer what kind of outcome will be.

But as has been mentioned above that's really just a swindle, is it not?

If the supplicant gets what she prays for, might it not just be coincidence? How can she know the difference?

And how does she tell the "not yet" from the "no, it's not my will" responses? Is there a specified period of time before she can tell if the Almighty has declined her prayer? If so of what is its duration? Does it differ depending on which god she worships?

-- Max

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I am not afraid to go out of it that way.
09-01-2014, 07:11 AM
(08-01-2014 10:24 PM)Alla Wrote:  the point of asking God through the prayer is to receive an answer.

Your "pray to get an answer" scenario is moot. If the person has cancer, and it is God's plan to cure it or not cure it, the person will get their answer whether they pray or not. Not only that, they won't know the answer until they either die or get better; the same time they'd "get the answer" even if they hadn't prayed!

Praying to get an answer is useless because you're going to get that answer whether or not you actually pray.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post