Prayer and "gods plan"

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4.25 Average
21-05-2010, 10:44 PM

Question Prayer and "gods plan"
So if god has "a plan" for everyone and everything... and this plan has been in place since before the begining of time...

Whats the point of prayer?... or of doing anything really?

If god is all powerful and there is no possible way one can stray from "the path" he has chosen from you then why bother trying to "stay" in said path ... since any path you take presumably is the one he had layed out for you. And being all powerful surely a lowly human could not go against "the plan".

And what is the point of asking for things with prayer if god is going to do what is in his plan anyway? Does the plan change if you ask him enough or at the right moment?...Then his plan can change... so there is no certainty of anything... he could change his mind entirely from what he promised in the religious text.

And for that matter what is the point of thanking him for doing something he was going to do anyway?... it was in the plan after all.. thanking him for something he was going to do and had no way around without wrecking his "plan".. he really has done nothing for YOU.. he only did it for himself.
Quote this message in a reply
22-05-2010, 04:30 PM

RE: Prayer and "gods plan"
Prayer is nonsense. Prayer is for those who don't have enough trust in their own capabilities. You will then find out that there is really no one hearing prayers.

Yeah you are right. God is selfish, but he seems open minded to many. Sad
23-05-2010, 08:01 AM
Prayer is necessary because god constantly needs to be reminded how wonderful, amazing, generous and loving he is. I smell insecurity there.

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2010, 11:53 AM
(21-05-2010 10:44 PM)DrNekoDR Wrote:  So if god has "a plan" for everyone and everything... and this plan has been in place since before the begining of time...

Whats the point of prayer?... or of doing anything really?

If god is all powerful and there is no possible way one can stray from "the path" he has chosen from you then why bother trying to "stay" in said path ... since any path you take presumably is the one he had layed out for you. And being all powerful surely a lowly human could not go against "the plan".

And what is the point of asking for things with prayer if god is going to do what is in his plan anyway? Does the plan change if you ask him enough or at the right moment?...Then his plan can change... so there is no certainty of anything... he could change his mind entirely from what he promised in the religious text.

And for that matter what is the point of thanking him for doing something he was going to do anyway?... it was in the plan after all.. thanking him for something he was going to do and had no way around without wrecking his "plan".. he really has done nothing for YOU.. he only did it for himself.

Yes, but you have to remember that theists have perfected the art of doublethink. They are simultaneously able to believe in an omniscient god who knows everything that will happen in the future and free will.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
24-05-2010, 03:20 AM

Yes, doublethink, but maybe not for the reasons the church likes to give. I'd say that prayer, like meditation, can help a person think more clearly by listening to their subconscious brain and come to conclusions about actions. It may well have a calming effect on some as this allows people to lose some of their stress etc.

However, though priests / mullahs know that prayer is ineffectual in that there is never any result from it, making the followers pray is a great way to re-enforce the faith - to make sure the followers don't think the wrong thoughts, realise what is going on and leave reducing the income of the religious organisation.

As for god's plan? Well given there is no plan and no effect of prayer the whole topic is really about how religious organisation try to control and retain their memberships.
24-05-2010, 05:39 AM
Welcome to TTAF, wheels!

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
24-05-2010, 08:26 AM

I know... seeing them run around in theist circles really frustrates me.
24-05-2010, 09:06 PM

I pray to god everyday because, I believe in him so much.god help me in my every trouble,and see me a good way for my better future.I am not believe that god is no where. but its depend on our faith to him that god is with us. I generally fill that god is with me when I need to him.so, I like to pray god everyday........
25-05-2010, 12:29 AM

Finally i found this through google
Regards
26-05-2010, 09:34 PM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2012 07:27 PM by brendanIsBrendan.)
Prayer is