Prayer for a non believer; Biblical standards

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2015, 09:40 AM
So on FB I added the pastor from my old church. I always respected the man and was surprised awhile back to see him in town visiting. He said I should add him on FB so I did. He posts a lot of stuff about god, obviously, and does a weekly 'state of the church' type update. I don't agree but I always find it interesting. He asks that comments be kept to believers, as its not meant as a place for argument, and I respect that.

Yesterday he posted this update.

"An up-date for those of you who are praying for Caitlin. To clarify, my friend that I referred to is my prayer partner and has become very dear to me. He is a believer and loves Caitlin deeply, but, because of biblical standards, cannot marry her unless she is a believer also. It breaks my heart to witness the agony he is going through, but Caitlin appears to have no intention of changing. I have begun to pray that the Lord will change her circumstances to help her realize that she does have a need for Christ in her life. Would you join me in praying that way for her? Thank you so much. I'll keep you informed."

It bothered me. The fact that they are drawing a line between his friend and Caitlin, who the man obviously loves. They are treating her as if there is something wrong with her. Even if its not directly to her face. Its drawing a line in the sand between non believer and believer. He is supporting the mans attitude towards this woman he loves because does not believe.

But it seems nobody else I talk to, who are mostly religious themselves, seems to understand. It bothers me because I also feel these people view me as somebody who needs to change. A project.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like riseinside's post
23-04-2015, 09:46 AM
RE: Prayer for a non believer; Biblical standards
I find it bothersome, too. I don't have any suggestions, but I empathize. There's a serious problem of "us vs. them" within religious groups. I've witnessed it, too. I hope if you get that vibe from someone, like they're only spending time with you to try and change you, you'll be able to talk to them openly and honestly.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
Find all posts by this user
23-04-2015, 09:57 AM
The only thing keeping them form marrying is her silly beliefs.
None of them seem able or willing to see that.
Non-belief is not what is making rules here.
The position that needs to change is the one that has the conditions on marriage.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
23-04-2015, 09:58 AM
(23-04-2015 09:46 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  I find it bothersome, too. I don't have any suggestions, but I empathize. There's a serious problem of "us vs. them" within religious groups. I've witnessed it, too. I hope if you get that vibe from someone, like they're only spending time with you to try and change you, you'll be able to talk to them openly and honestly.

We don't talk much. Which I guess is a good thing. I've had a couple people that I had known through the church or church camp who quickly started talking about my beliefs when I added them or talked to them for the first time in awhile. The few that I have kept around I have done so because I respect them but I do keep them at a distance.

I could talk to them openly and honestly but in the end I would only be close minded and not allowing the lord into my life.

There are some days that I wonder if my respect is earned. I respect them for how they were in the past but it seems things have changed now that I am not a believer. Its amazing. While I disagree with these people I still treat them with respect. I don't view them as somebody who needs changed.
[+] 1 user Likes riseinside's post
23-04-2015, 09:59 AM
(23-04-2015 09:57 AM)pablo Wrote:  The only thing keeping them form marrying is her silly beliefs.
The position that needs to change is the one that has the conditions on marriage.

Exactly. And what I find so bothersome is the fact that the person who posted that update is continuing to fuel his friends belief that this girl he loves is not worthy unless she changes.

He fell in love with her. As she is. And if she needs to change to continue that love.....did he ever truly love her?
[+] 2 users Like riseinside's post
23-04-2015, 10:43 AM
(23-04-2015 09:59 AM)riseinside Wrote:  
(23-04-2015 09:57 AM)pablo Wrote:  The only thing keeping them form marrying is her silly beliefs.

Exactly. And what I find so bothersome is the fact that the person who posted that update is continuing to fuel his friends belief that this girl he loves is not worthy unless she changes.

He fell in love with her. As she is. And if she needs to change to continue that love.....did he ever truly love her?

I saw this type of thing a lot when I was a christian. It is very hard to deal with when one person believes wholeheartedly and the other does not. One of the (many) reasons I walked away from christianity was because the church tries to tell you who you can and cannot love. No getting divorced if you are unhappy, no marrying someone from a different religious background, no getting remarried if you divorce one person and realize you made a huge mistake and want to remarry them, no getting married to someone who got a divorce (unless of course, their spouse cheated on them), no same sex couples. It is sad to say, but your friend would be better off just walking away because if this is a problem now--it will be an even bigger one as they continue their lives together as a married couple.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
23-04-2015, 10:44 AM
(23-04-2015 09:40 AM)riseinside Wrote:  I have begun to pray that the Lord will change her circumstances to help her realize that she does have a need for Christ in her life.

Maybe I'm just really cynical, but that came across to me like "Dear lord, let something horrible happen to her so she needs a crutch to lean on".

Creepy.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
23-04-2015, 11:18 AM
I don't know the couple but I know the person who is leading the prayer. Leading the charge to change this person so they can live happily. I wish I could tell this non believer that it's ok. Be who you are. True love shouldn't be divided based on ones religion.
23-04-2015, 11:22 AM
(23-04-2015 10:44 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  
(23-04-2015 09:40 AM)riseinside Wrote:  I have begun to pray that the Lord will change her circumstances to help her realize that she does have a need for Christ in her life.

Maybe I'm just really cynical, but that came across to me like "Dear lord, let something horrible happen to her so she needs a crutch to lean on".

Creepy.

I kinda got that impression, as well.

Eeesh; talk about sending out the evil vibes. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
23-04-2015, 11:34 AM
(23-04-2015 09:40 AM)riseinside Wrote:  It bothered me. The fact that they are drawing a line between his friend and Caitlin, who the man obviously loves. They are treating her as if there is something wrong with her.

Unfortunately, this is likely what they are told every week. I listen to the sermons where my wife attends periodically. Nearly every single week, this is reinforced. One sermon, I counted 22 times in a 35 minute sermon that he said something along the lines of humans are damaged, evil is our fault, the problems of the world are our fault, we can't do anything without god, we are powerless, and all of this is caused by sin which originated by a person eating an magical apple from an enchanted tree.

(23-04-2015 09:40 AM)riseinside Wrote:  It bothers me because I also feel these people view me as somebody who needs to change.

Unfortunately, that is how many people are: "If you are not like me, YOU have the problem."

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post