Prayer, free will and "god has a plan"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2017, 02:06 PM
RE: Prayer, free will and "god has a plan"
Serial killers have plans.

Having a plan doesn't by default make it a good plan, especially if that plan involves serial killers, rapists, murderers, greedy bastards who steal food & medicine from starving & sick children.

To have a mindset that allows you to walk away from someone being raped without helping them because you feel it's part of god's plan, then human decency is in direct opposition to god's plan.

Giving a damn about your fellow man or woman is in direct opposition to god's plan.

Gods plan is - Do whatever evil shit you want and as it turns out, that happens to be my plan.
Or care about your fellow human beings and guess what, that's MY plan too.

"Whatever you all decide to do, I'll take credit for it as MY PLAN"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Rahn127's post
03-04-2017, 03:37 PM
(03-04-2017 11:26 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-04-2017 08:43 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  "I am the resurrection and the life;
whoever believes in me, even if he dies, will live,
and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die.

I always figured that just meant "Be here now." But I'm an old hippie who's had a lot of recreation.

Agree. Just another way of saying it.
"God" is just a short-hand in 2017 for "what's most important to me/us, (which is what Paul also said). The "man who lives in the sky" thing, is pretty much gone these days, (except for the fundies).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
03-04-2017, 04:38 PM
Bucky Ball Wrote:"I am the resurrection and the life;
whoever believes in me, even if he dies, will live,
and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die.

This seems kinda jacked up to me.
"If I believe in you, I'll never die."

--Yep, never die, but on the odd chance that you do die, you'll live again."

"OK, I'm going to sell you a pair of running shoes that I guarantee will help you to win every race, but on the odd chance you don't win, they will take you back in time and put you at the finish line insuring that you win the race."

--Sounds like a scam

"Ya think ?"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
03-04-2017, 04:53 PM
Prayer, free will and "god has a plan"
(02-04-2017 02:09 PM)Alla Wrote:  There are two things that neither FAITH nor PRAYER can do:
1) my faith and my prayer will not force anyone to choose the path of righteousness
2) my faith and my prayer will not force my will upon God. I can not force God to comply with my desires - no matter how right I think I am or how sincerely I pray.

It sounds like you have covered why your prayer won't work. How do you know, then, if your prayer actually does work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[+] 2 users Like Rachel's post
03-04-2017, 06:01 PM
(02-04-2017 02:09 PM)Alla Wrote:  There are two things that neither FAITH nor PRAYER can do:
1) my faith and my prayer will not force anyone to choose the path of righteousness

My words, no matter how rational or logical cannot force anyone into critical thinking or discovering an honest path to truth.

[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
03-04-2017, 06:24 PM
(03-04-2017 11:24 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(03-04-2017 11:10 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I actually had a Christian tell me that god suspended his omniscience while in the creation process so he wouldn't know at that time that Adam would eat the sinful apple. and people would roast in hell. So god made himself stupid while creating everyone. Facepalm

OMG. I wish I could give you 50 likes for that video post. Thumbsup Thumbsup

That's fantastic!
Bowing

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
03-04-2017, 07:38 PM
(03-04-2017 12:33 PM)kemo boy Wrote:  
(03-04-2017 12:39 AM)Alla Wrote:  Yes.

It is part of God's plan that we all can have an opportunity to LEARN both GOOD and EVIL - suffering and death including. We all suffer we all have to die.

You know god's plan?

That's the insane part.
They think that they can actually read the mind of a (their) creator of 600 sextillion stars, (or whatever the number is up to now), and what it's all about, ... when the life of a black hole is 10^80 years, (the VAST majority of which) there will be no humans in the universe. Yet they can tell us what it's all about, and are SO indoctrinated, they think they actually can tell other people what it's about. Incredible ignorant short-sighted arrogance. It's amazing what people cook up to tell themselves.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
03-04-2017, 08:02 PM
(03-04-2017 07:38 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(03-04-2017 12:33 PM)kemo boy Wrote:  You know god's plan?

That's the insane part.
They think that they can actually read the mind of a (their) creator of 600 sextillion stars, (or whatever the number is up to now), and what it's all about, ... when the life of a black hole is 10^80 years, (the VAST majority of which) there will be no humans in the universe. Yet they can tell us what it's all about, and are SO indoctrinated, they think they actually can tell other people what it's about. Incredible ignorant short-sighted arrogance. It's amazing what people cook up to tell themselves.

I guess for some, any wildly improbable explanation is better than not knowing.
The universe is a big scary place for them.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
03-04-2017, 08:11 PM
(03-04-2017 08:02 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(03-04-2017 07:38 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  That's the insane part.

I guess for some, any wildly improbable explanation is better than not knowing.
The universe is a big scary place for them.
I have found in my years of frequenting forums like this that one of the main differences between theists and atheists is that atheists are content with "I don't know," while theists have to have an explanation. That's not universally true, but much more often than not.
[+] 2 users Like LifelongAtheist's post
03-04-2017, 08:18 PM
(03-04-2017 08:11 PM)LifelongAtheist Wrote:  I have found in my years of frequenting forums like this that one of the main differences between theists and atheists is that atheists are content with "I don't know," while theists have to have an explanation. That's not universally true, but much more often than not.

Theists are often told they are special, so they make things up. That bit about God making himself stupid is an excellent example of such creative rationalizing.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post