Prayer, free will and "god has a plan"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2017, 04:26 PM
RE: Prayer, free will and "god has a plan"
(04-04-2017 10:02 AM)Alla Wrote:  TO ROBVALUE

P.S. LDS teach one very interesting principle I have never heard any other religion teaches.
Here is this principle:
" If God didn't BELIEVE in His own power to organize new world He would never be able to organize a new world."
It is all about faith. Even Gods need it.

Faith is belief without evidence. Taking it one step further, maybe your god doesn't really have faith he, himself exists. He's a figment of his own imagination. Maybe your god is an atheist too. Laugh out load

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
04-04-2017, 06:51 PM
(02-04-2017 03:19 PM)julep Wrote:  CYA. IMO.

Christians constantly remind one another in some kind of weird pretzel logic that any outcome can be viewed as an answer to prayer. Prayer granted: god favors you. Prayer denied: god is testing you. Unable to determine whether your prayer's been answered: god's mysterious. God has a plan for you, but is it simple and linear no matter what you do or has god set up some kind of choose-your-adventure/flow chart thingie? Inquiring minds will never know, but my opinion is that Christians pray less to influence events and more for fear of what god may do to people who don't pray.

Religious people (perhaps others) prey mostly to comfort themselves rather than to influence the outcome. With major exceptions the prayer is invoking his or her hopes of a successful outcome to their wishes rather than a reality. I have no idea why someone prays since the only expected outcome if it happens is only a coincidence. I have little use for coincidences.

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself
[+] 2 users Like Ro3bert's post
04-04-2017, 07:42 PM
One of gawd's plans;
Prayer to gawd is one way to put ALL your Christian friend's free will on hold from ravishing those wonderfully smelling and glistening pizzas all laid out for the bible study group Drooling for just a wee bit longer,

so you won't burn the top of your mouth. Sadcryface2
Make it a good n long one too. You're in control.

You have to be odd to be #1.
04-04-2017, 11:05 PM
I get the feeling that "faith" can be more important than reality, to some people.

I guess that's what it is, really. What someone wants to be true, versus what is actually true. Holding onto an idea and rationalizing everything around it, no matter what the evidence suggests is actually likely.

Religion has often been likened to alcohol. I think it's a pretty good analogy. It would be so easy for me to find comfort and relief by just getting drunk all the time. But I choose to remain in reality, and to keep my senses sharp. I can't make good decisions regarding other people unless I'm in tune with reality. Religion similarly blurs the line, and is sometimes trying to shift a burden of responsibility I feel.

Like alcohol, a moderate amount of faith is probably not very harmful. Yet it can still be problematic. And I don't personally like the idea of passing such dependencies onto children.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
04-04-2017, 11:29 PM
The other problem is when you've got lots of people praying for contradictory outcomes.

Let's say twenty people apply for a job, and they all pray that they get it. What can God do except play favourites, or just do what he was going to do anyway? He literally cannot "answer" all these prayers, unless you accept any outcome as an answer. In which case, you may as well pray to a carton of milk.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
05-04-2017, 07:39 AM
(04-04-2017 11:29 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  In which case, you may as well pray to a carton of milk.

But what if I was praying to have my osteoporosis healed? Consider

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post