Prayer in Government

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2014, 11:07 AM
Prayer in Government
Why is there such a double standard still in existence within our government concerning separation of church and state. ARGH! So tired of hearing this crap and how they just cannot have some balls and eliminate prayer where it contributes nothing to the agenda.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/05...66930.html

Our Supreme Court is a bunch of pansies!

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Timber1025's post
05-05-2014, 11:24 AM
RE: Prayer in Government
*shrug*

At one point Plessy vs Ferguson stated that separate but equal was ok. Later this was overturned as society progressed and standards changed.

Today's court is today's court. The country is becoming more and more secular (population wise) and popular attitude about this is shifting. I'm not saying we shouldn't stop fighting for equality or try to stop bigotry and privilege, but this isn't the end of the world. It will most likely be changed in the future as the attitude shifts.

Oh my god I just said something optimistic. I must be sick...
05-05-2014, 11:28 AM
(05-05-2014 11:07 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  So tired of hearing this crap and how they just cannot have some balls and eliminate prayer where it contributes nothing to the agenda. Our Supreme Court is a bunch of pansies!

The secular neighborhoods probably tend to be troublesome, compared to the more religious neighborhoods, and the Supreme Court does not want to upset the more orderly districts.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
[+] 1 user Likes TrainWreck's post
05-05-2014, 11:52 AM
(05-05-2014 11:28 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(05-05-2014 11:07 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  So tired of hearing this crap and how they just cannot have some balls and eliminate prayer where it contributes nothing to the agenda. Our Supreme Court is a bunch of pansies!

The secular neighborhoods probably tend to be troublesome, compared to the more religious neighborhoods, and the Supreme Court does not want to upset the more orderly districts.

WTF...
[+] 2 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
05-05-2014, 12:26 PM
(05-05-2014 11:28 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  

"Probably"... proof even you know your BS claim is founded on nothing. It's just an uneducated guess on your part from looking through your heavily biased glasses.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
05-05-2014, 12:34 PM
(05-05-2014 11:28 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  The secular neighborhoods probably tend to be troublesome, compared to the more religious neighborhoods, and the Supreme Court does not want to upset the more orderly districts.

Wha Huh Hobo

Ok, yeah , you're right...... now please.... just fuck off troll.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 2 users Like War Horse's post
05-05-2014, 12:37 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2014 02:17 PM by djhall.)
(05-05-2014 11:07 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Why is there such a double standard still in existence within our government concerning separation of church and state. ARGH! So tired of hearing this crap and how they just cannot have some balls and eliminate prayer where it contributes nothing to the agenda.

I'm not sure which is the better way to go, strict prohibition or strict openness.

The fundamental concept in "separation of church and state" is that the government and government agencies exhibit strict neutrality toward religion and religious beliefs. If you are going to allow or not allow a "prayer" from a "religion" you now have to start deciding what constitutes legitimate prayer and what doesn't. If the government says "no prayers", and you say "what is a prayer", does not answering that question constitute the official "establishment of religion" (not a religion, but religion in general, aka. "this is the official government validation of what is legitimate religious belief and what is not". Down that road lies "oh, no, we don't discriminate against religion... its just that Islam is a legitimate religion while christianity is just a large Cult..." or "christians are allowed to address a prayer at school but atheists aren't allowed to make a statement because atheism isn't a religion so it isn't a prayer".

Strict openness would take you down the road of ever increasing ridiculousness. No official judgement on what constitutes a religion or a prayer would eventually lead to such nonsense as people using it to promote the spiritual experience of buying a car from Joe's Used Cars and NAMBLA people praying to the god that blesses the holy coupling between a man and a young boy and it wouldn't take long for people to decide, "hey, uh, perhaps letting anyone say whatever irrelevant crap they want isn't such a grand idea after all.... lets just eliminate the open mike session and stick to business."

Of course, I think the same should be said about tax exemptions and such for religion. You can't say religious institutions get differential tax treatment without deciding what religions you endorse and what ones you don't. The only way to be neutral is simply to make any claim of being a religion vs non-religion irrelevant in governmental terms or matters.
[+] 1 user Likes djhall's post
05-05-2014, 12:38 PM
(05-05-2014 12:34 PM)War Horse Wrote:  
(05-05-2014 11:28 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  The secular neighborhoods probably tend to be troublesome, compared to the more religious neighborhoods, and the Supreme Court does not want to upset the more orderly districts.
Ok, yeah , you're right...... now please.... just fuck off troll.

Why then did the Court rule that way?

Why were they the "pussies" that the other poster described them as???

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
05-05-2014, 12:46 PM
(05-05-2014 12:38 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(05-05-2014 12:34 PM)War Horse Wrote:  Ok, yeah , you're right...... now please.... just fuck off troll.

Why then did the Court rule that way?

Why were they the "pussies" that the other poster described them as???

You really are to stupid for words.

And stop trying to derail every thread on the forum that you think can make about you.

My appologies go to the OP in this one also.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
05-05-2014, 12:50 PM
I was listening to this on the radio a little while ago and was slamming my face on the steering wheel.

The justification for this ruling is that we in America have always done it this way.

WTF! Apparently the justices haven't read the constitution lately, which is what they are supposed to uphold. Here comes the Theocracy of the Religious States of America.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post