Prayer in social media

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2015, 09:24 PM
Prayer in social media
I'm not really sure in which forum I should post this, and I'd actually rather ask religious people but I don't think they would answer. Smile If any of you used to be religious but are now atheists, maybe you can explain.

There are a lot of religious people who use social media to post prayers, especially on Facebook. Do the people who post a "dear god" followed by words followed by "amen" genuinely think there is a deity who will read their post on the Internet and grant their wish? Do those same people think there is an invisible deity who uses a smart phone or laptop to access social media sites?

I'm not trying to sound condescending, but it's hard to word those questions in a way that doesn't leave such an impression. I'm just trying to understand whether people who post their version of a prayer on a web page somewhere actually think it will do any good. I would think something along the lines of, "My thoughts are with you during this difficult time" would help the intended target feel much better, as opposed to words directed at an invisible (non-existent) being.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes smeli's post
17-11-2015, 10:02 PM
RE: Prayer in social media
At the subconscious level, it's all about minimizing social friction, and feeling superficially validated when someone "likes" the idealized, surface-level persona of yourself that you've just vomited onto their news feed.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 6 users Like cactus's post
18-11-2015, 06:09 PM
Anyone else find those pictures of jesus knocking on doors to be extremely creepy? Usually says something like "Will you let him in"? HELL NO! Crazy long haired bearded man! Don't make me call the cops.
[+] 4 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
20-11-2015, 08:20 AM
(17-11-2015 09:24 PM)smeli Wrote:  I'm not really sure in which forum I should post this, and I'd actually rather ask religious people but I don't think they would answer. Smile If any of you used to be religious but are now atheists, maybe you can explain.

There are a lot of religious people who use social media to post prayers, especially on Facebook. Do the people who post a "dear god" followed by words followed by "amen" genuinely think there is a deity who will read their post on the Internet and grant their wish? Do those same people think there is an invisible deity who uses a smart phone or laptop to access social media sites?

I'm not trying to sound condescending, but it's hard to word those questions in a way that doesn't leave such an impression. I'm just trying to understand whether people who post their version of a prayer on a web page somewhere actually think it will do any good. I would think something along the lines of, "My thoughts are with you during this difficult time" would help the intended target feel much better, as opposed to words directed at an invisible (non-existent) being.

I believe that people who post and forward religious themed posts do believe that typing "Amen" in the comments, liking and sharing these posts does have an impact on the world around them.

.... I also believe that some of them really believe that photoshopped pictures of Jesus are some kind of authentic representation of their god.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
20-11-2015, 08:48 AM
I think it's even more self-indulgent than the act of saying an actual prayer - they want to be SEEN as praying so they can get the credit and they and their other theist friends can pat each other on the back for being so good and righteous.

I'm not an expert but I want to say I remember there being a Bible verse about not making a public spectacle of your praying, that it should be done privately and humbly.
[+] 4 users Like Mr. Boston's post
20-11-2015, 10:16 AM
(20-11-2015 08:48 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I'm not an expert but I want to say I remember there being a Bible verse about not making a public spectacle of your praying, that it should be done privately and humbly.

Matthew 6
(5) And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
(6) But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
20-11-2015, 02:53 PM
The sad part of is that, yes, these people probably do believe than their postcard version of Jesus exists and is answering their prayers. Never underestimate the ignorance of the religiously indoctrinated.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
20-11-2015, 03:07 PM
The internet isn't God?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
21-11-2015, 02:58 PM
Well, there's the awesome "Facebook God" which is the only god I believe in.
[+] 2 users Like smeli's post
13-12-2015, 11:15 AM
Wink RE: Prayer in social media
I feel like typing JUST STOP IT ! there's no god there never was, what your following was written by people that thought the world was flat and the Sun revolved around the Earth !

There I said it !
[+] 1 user Likes mountain view's post