Prayer in social media

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2015, 06:32 AM
RE: Prayer in social media
(17-11-2015 09:24 PM)smeli Wrote:  I'm not really sure in which forum I should post this, and I'd actually rather ask religious people but I don't think they would answer. Smile If any of you used to be religious but are now atheists, maybe you can explain.

There are a lot of religious people who use social media to post prayers, especially on Facebook. Do the people who post a "dear god" followed by words followed by "amen" genuinely think there is a deity who will read their post on the Internet and grant their wish? Do those same people think there is an invisible deity who uses a smart phone or laptop to access social media sites?

I'm not trying to sound condescending, but it's hard to word those questions in a way that doesn't leave such an impression. I'm just trying to understand whether people who post their version of a prayer on a web page somewhere actually think it will do any good. I would think something along the lines of, "My thoughts are with you during this difficult time" would help the intended target feel much better, as opposed to words directed at an invisible (non-existent) being.

I would post a comment on their page just below the prayer asking this question of one who posts such. These are the same people who send emails that when you open them they threaten you if you do not send them on to 10 people you will have bad luck tomorrow or whatever. Belief in the unseen is weird at best.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-12-2015, 06:33 AM
(17-11-2015 09:24 PM)smeli Wrote:  I'm not really sure in which forum I should post this, and I'd actually rather ask religious people but I don't think they would answer. Smile If any of you used to be religious but are now atheists, maybe you can explain.

There are a lot of religious people who use social media to post prayers, especially on Facebook. Do the people who post a "dear god" followed by words followed by "amen" genuinely think there is a deity who will read their post on the Internet and grant their wish? Do those same people think there is an invisible deity who uses a smart phone or laptop to access social media sites?

I'm not trying to sound condescending, but it's hard to word those questions in a way that doesn't leave such an impression. I'm just trying to understand whether people who post their version of a prayer on a web page somewhere actually think it will do any good. I would think something along the lines of, "My thoughts are with you during this difficult time" would help the intended target feel much better, as opposed to words directed at an invisible (non-existent) being.

I find it absurd if a believer is going to claim their concept of a claim of a God is allegedly all powerful would need an advertisement department. Bad enough they claim this God "poofed" the universe and life into existence, but ignore that he took 1,000 years and 40 authors to write a book it would seem to me he could "poof" into existence just like the universe and life.

But seems to me the bible was not good enough otherwise humans wouldn't need social media to advertise for an all powerful god. Funny how humans have to do all that work for an all powerful god.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-12-2015, 10:09 AM
The atheist prayer:

To Whom It May Concern,

Please provide bacon... and BBQ'd babies.... or BBQ'd babies wrapped in bacon.

Ramen.

Big Grin

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post
14-12-2015, 10:16 AM
My favorite are the ones where they'll have a picture of Jesus looking all beneficent and joyous with a totally passive aggressive caption like "Is there room for me in your life? Type Amen if yes, ignore if no." It's like they're passing around notes like a 7-th grader on Jesus's behalf: do you like me? Circle yes or no. So pathetic.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
14-12-2015, 10:30 AM
(14-12-2015 06:13 AM)izel Wrote:  [Image: Untitled_1.png]

This is a bad idea Hobo
I get the first part. But your reply is giving me trouble. Something about the police? And is "cnm" short for "canım"?
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
14-12-2015, 10:32 AM
(14-12-2015 10:30 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(14-12-2015 06:13 AM)izel Wrote:  [Image: Untitled_1.png]

This is a bad idea Hobo
I get the first part. But your reply is giving me trouble. Something about the police? And is "cnm" short for "canım"?

Yes cnm is short for canım but, in a sarcastic way Laugh out load

1 Like = 1 Prayer
14-12-2015, 10:36 AM
(14-12-2015 10:32 AM)izel Wrote:  
(14-12-2015 10:30 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  I get the first part. But your reply is giving me trouble. Something about the police? And is "cnm" short for "canım"?

Yes cnm is short for canım but, in a sarcastic way Laugh out load
Oh, so it's sort of like how when someone acts really stupid, and we say, "Oh, sweetheart..." Smile
14-12-2015, 10:41 AM
(14-12-2015 10:36 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(14-12-2015 10:32 AM)izel Wrote:  Yes cnm is short for canım but, in a sarcastic way Laugh out load
Oh, so it's sort of like how when someone acts really stupid, and we say, "Oh, sweetheart..." Smile

umm not sure Weeping when someone acts stupid I wouldn't call them sweetheart Tongue

1 Like = 1 Prayer
14-12-2015, 12:57 PM
My favorite, by Roger Zelazny-

Insofar as I may be heard by anything, which may or may not care what I say, I ask, if it matters, that you be forgiven for anything you may have done or failed to do which requires forgiveness. Conversely, if not forgiveness but something else may be required to insure any possible benefit for which you may be eligible after the destruction of your body, I ask that this, whatever it may be, be granted or withheld, as the case may be, in such a manner as to insure your receiving said benefit. I ask this in my capacity as your elected intermediary between yourself and that which may not be yourself, but which may have an interest in the matter of your receiving as much as it is possible for you to receive of this thing, and which may in some way be influenced by this ceremony. Amen.

Laugh out load
[+] 4 users Like Fireball's post
14-12-2015, 01:07 PM
(14-12-2015 12:57 PM)Fireball Wrote:  My favorite, by Roger Zelazny-

Insofar as I may be heard by anything, which may or may not care what I say, I ask, if it matters, that you be forgiven for anything you may have done or failed to do which requires forgiveness. Conversely, if not forgiveness but something else may be required to insure any possible benefit for which you may be eligible after the destruction of your body, I ask that this, whatever it may be, be granted or withheld, as the case may be, in such a manner as to insure your receiving said benefit. I ask this in my capacity as your elected intermediary between yourself and that which may not be yourself, but which may have an interest in the matter of your receiving as much as it is possible for you to receive of this thing, and which may in some way be influenced by this ceremony. Amen.

Laugh out load

Laugh out load This is awesome. I am memorizing this and using it the next time my mother-in-law asks me to say the blessing even though I have already politely declined every other request for prayer over last few years.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart