Prayer in social media

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2015, 01:21 PM
RE: Prayer in social media
(14-12-2015 12:57 PM)Fireball Wrote:  My favorite, by Roger Zelazny-

Insofar as I may be heard by anything, which may or may not care what I say, I ask, if it matters, that you be forgiven for anything you may have done or failed to do which requires forgiveness. Conversely, if not forgiveness but something else may be required to insure any possible benefit for which you may be eligible after the destruction of your body, I ask that this, whatever it may be, be granted or withheld, as the case may be, in such a manner as to insure your receiving said benefit. I ask this in my capacity as your elected intermediary between yourself and that which may not be yourself, but which may have an interest in the matter of your receiving as much as it is possible for you to receive of this thing, and which may in some way be influenced by this ceremony. Amen.

Laugh out load

It's good, but it needs a few whereases and party-of-the-first-part phrases thrown in for good measure.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-12-2015, 06:32 PM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2015 06:35 PM by Fireball.)
Feel free to add whatever you want or delete what you don't want, or modify as you may be asked- or not. Tongue

I miss Zelazny. One of the best writers of fiction that I have ever read from. Died too young at 65 of cancer.

If I memorized this, I'd never get through it without laughing. I'm organizing my funerary dicta in advance, so that people will not be mistaken on my wishes. I expect to live probably another 20 years, but one never knows.
14-12-2015, 10:38 PM
(14-12-2015 12:57 PM)Fireball Wrote:  My favorite, by Roger Zelazny-

Insofar as I may be heard by anything, which may or may not care what I say, I ask, if it matters, that you be forgiven for anything you may have done or failed to do which requires forgiveness. Conversely, if not forgiveness but something else may be required to insure any possible benefit for which you may be eligible after the destruction of your body, I ask that this, whatever it may be, be granted or withheld, as the case may be, in such a manner as to insure your receiving said benefit. I ask this in my capacity as your elected intermediary between yourself and that which may not be yourself, but which may have an interest in the matter of your receiving as much as it is possible for you to receive of this thing, and which may in some way be influenced by this ceremony. Amen.

Laugh out load

This is good one Tongue

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-12-2015, 09:54 AM
Prayer in social media
(14-12-2015 10:16 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  My favorite are the ones where they'll have a picture of Jesus looking all beneficent and joyous with a totally passive aggressive caption like "Is there room for me in your life? Type Amen if yes, ignore if no." It's like they're passing around notes like a 7-th grader on Jesus's behalf: do you like me? Circle yes or no. So pathetic.

I seen something similar to one of those. It's like they're trying to make you feel guilty.
18-12-2015, 12:25 PM
They want to be validated by their peers that their beliefs and attitudes are "right". That's all. I doubt any of them write notes to "god" and just save them in private files. To start with, according to their (abrahamic) description of god, writing down your message to god isn't necessary. Just think them.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
18-12-2015, 02:16 PM
Hey now, is sending messages to god through the internet really any weirder than trying to use telepathy?
[+] 2 users Like Ash's post
22-12-2015, 08:23 PM
The thing that always gets me is after something bad happens and someone posts about it on their social media, people always just comment "prayers".
A. Could you be any more lazy? Assuming (generously) that maybe only a third of those people actually get down on their knees and say a prayer after posting that, the rest literally gave you a one word response saying they were going to mumble stuff to themselves later and it'll make things better (which they rarely even do).
B. What the hell are they praying for exactly? The bad shit already happened, you're not going to change that even if your prayers had an effect on anything. It's kind of like putting on a condom AFTER your girlfriend tells you shes pregnant.

I feel like theists spend so much time praying for a better life after death, they don't fully appreciate or enjoy the one they have now.
[+] 2 users Like nbberm2's post
22-12-2015, 08:58 PM
(18-12-2015 02:16 PM)Ash Wrote:  Hey now, is sending messages to god through the internet really any weirder than trying to use telepathy?

Well, the internet exists. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-12-2015, 09:23 PM
(13-12-2015 04:16 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  My FB is nothing but atheists. I don't friend request others and don't accept any that aren't atheist. I have no tolerance for religious BS postings on my timeline. I would just call them out and then be deleted. I can barely stand FB anyway.
Laugh out load

My FB isn't all atheists. When someone crosses my line as far as religious posts go, I will either unfriend them or block them from my feed so I don't have to see the stuff.

Today I mentioned being treated really rudely at work...in a vague sort of way so the person wasn't obvious. A woman who is old enough to be my mother, from my hometown, is quite Catholic...her response was that I should have let her know as she would have come and bitch slapped the person.

Yeah, she loves her church and her god...but I can't help but overlook those posts when a gem like that one is bound to come along...or pictures of the jello shots she prepares for family gatherings...she is in her 70s. Just have to love her. Big Grin

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
25-12-2015, 03:51 PM
I always thought the concept of people posting virtual messages addressing God, and then others posting "amen", was really dumb.

I used to be a pretty devout Russian Orthodox Christian. I and those I had on FB from Church would often post prayer requests varying in detail, asking others to pray for a specific thing. There was a belief in the collective power of prayer. But we never made those "Dear Jesus blah blah blah" posts.