Prayer in social media

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2016, 04:41 AM
Prayer in social media
I was a Christian so I can answer this I believe.

It's not that they are writing God a note in prayer and expecting him to actually read it. What you're told as a Christian is that God knows your mind and what you are thinking. So when they are writing the prayer they are praying, they write the prayer to put on Facebook or where ever, so that their friends and family members will see it and keep them in their prayers when they pray.

Hope this helps. I'm recently turned atheist but was a Christian for 30 years.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2016, 04:43 AM
RE: Prayer in social media
(22-01-2016 04:41 AM)80sChild Wrote:  I was a Christian so I can answer this I believe.

It's not that they are writing God a note in prayer and expecting him to actually read it. What you're told as a Christian is that God knows your mind and what you are thinking. So when they are writing the prayer they are praying, they write the prayer to put on Facebook or where ever, so that their friends and family members will see it and keep them in their prays when they pray.

Hope this helps. I'm recently turned atheist but was a Christian for 30 years.

Which is, ironically enough, evidence that they didn't read that part in their own Bible where Jesus says not to be a showoff and pray in public, but rather do so in private. Rolleyes

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
22-01-2016, 04:45 AM
Prayer in social media
Yep... Most don't read their own bibles and know nothing about it and make up half truths .
22-01-2016, 04:49 AM
(22-01-2016 04:45 AM)80sChild Wrote:  Yep... Most don't read their own bibles and know nothing about it and make up half truths .

Yeah, it's kind of a recurring theme, one bore out in multiple studies and survey. Atheists consistently know more across the board about other people's religions than the practitioners do themselves. A typical atheist off the street will be far more likely to correctly identify the specifics of Transubstantiation (that communion wafers and wine magically transform into the literal body and blood of Christ, that it is literal cannibalism) than any random self-professed Catholic is.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
22-01-2016, 04:54 AM
Prayer in social media
I don't know how I ever bought all that BS, how can anyone believe a virgin can have a baby! Or how did a ass speak? Walking on water! Lol just good ol fairytales, no different than Harry Potter. It's all been used to control us and keep people in line doing and acting like they want. I was Mormon and I couldn't even drink tea! Wtf! All of it bull fucking shit !!
[+] 1 user Likes 80sChild's post
22-01-2016, 05:13 AM
(22-01-2016 04:54 AM)80sChild Wrote:  I don't know how I ever bought all that BS, how can anyone believe a virgin can have a baby!

Virgin giving birth and remaining virgin is I think even greater miracle.

(22-01-2016 04:54 AM)80sChild Wrote:  Or how did a ass speak?

It's happening everyday Wink.

(22-01-2016 04:54 AM)80sChild Wrote:  It's all been used to control us and keep people in line doing and acting like they want. I was Mormon and I couldn't even drink tea! Wtf! All of it bull fucking shit !!

It's shit, but it sadly works. Also I kinda doubt that many people really believe in such outlandish tales.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
22-01-2016, 07:28 AM
(20-11-2015 08:48 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I think it's even more self-indulgent than the act of saying an actual prayer - they want to be SEEN as praying so they can get the credit and they and their other theist friends can pat each other on the back for being so good and righteous.

I'm not an expert but I want to say I remember there being a Bible verse about not making a public spectacle of your praying, that it should be done privately and humbly.

But as with everything else in the Bible there are also prayers written out and the reader is admonished to babble them as written, and they are usually done in a crowd situation.
22-01-2016, 07:32 AM
(20-11-2015 08:48 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I think it's even more self-indulgent than the act of saying an actual prayer - they want to be SEEN as praying so they can get the credit and they and their other theist friends can pat each other on the back for being so good and righteous.

I'm not an expert but I want to say I remember there being a Bible verse about not making a public spectacle of your praying, that it should be done privately and humbly.

As someone with a religious family (Salvation Army mostly) who do exactly this, I believe you have hit the nail on the head.
22-01-2016, 07:36 AM
One of my cousins is always posting, asking for prayers about something on Facebook. These prayer requests range from being because she has a headache to wanting the snow to stop so that she can effectively sweep off her back porch steps. If she posted every now and again asking for prayers, I wouldn't care, but this is an every goddamn day occurrence. I like that you can unfollow people's posts yet remain friends.
24-01-2016, 09:35 PM
(17-11-2015 10:02 PM)cactus Wrote:  At the subconscious level, it's all about minimizing social friction, and feeling superficially validated when someone "likes" the idealized, surface-level persona of yourself that you've just vomited onto their news feed.

Not necessarily. For as long as I can remember, there have been classified ads in newspapers that are directed to some saint or another. I once inquired bout it, and there are multiple reasons why they are posted. Some are beseechment for good fortune, others are thanks for prayers (supposedly) answered, etc.

Now with social media 'likes', such folk probably don't feel as lonely or strange for posting those things.