Prayer's POWER

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2013, 08:35 AM
Prayer's POWER
OK....this is going to be a test of the power of prayer!!

Have faith that your prayers are heard by the almighty!

India is about to be hit by a huge (some say SUPER) cyclone/hurricane. The storm will hit the eastern coast of India; the storm surge is expected to be in the vicinity of 20 to 25 feet and the water will move inland for miles.
Thousands of innocent men, women, and children are in the direct path of this upcoming catastrophe and will surely die unless something diverts the storm!!

Question: is god waiting for the faithful (all theists regardless of ilk) to raise their collective voices in humble supplication for him/her/it to intervene and avert this terrible natural disaster? Surely, god could prove his power by magically diverting this storm and saving the innocent lives of thousands....sure beats turning water into wine!

So....come on all yee faithful; raise your voices in prayer. Pray that god diverts this terrible tragedy and saves all these innocent lives!

My bet is on the storm!

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2013, 08:45 AM
RE: Prayer's POWER
I pray that among the countless dead and injured lord, some poor soul lord will be miraculously spared by your power lord and by your grace gollum and by the structural sorts of the building they are found in gollum. I pray all this in smeagol's name. I'm about to agree with myself: Amen.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
12-10-2013, 09:02 AM
I blame the gays. It's always the gays. Drinking Beverage

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
12-10-2013, 10:50 AM
Which god am I supposed to be praying to again? There are so very many and they all seem to have the same rate of answering prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Hamata k's post
12-10-2013, 11:16 AM
(12-10-2013 09:02 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  I blame the gays. It's always the gays. Drinking Beverage

We should really harness the gays power of weather control. Think about it, if these natural disasters are caused by gays why not gather them up put them of a fabulous plane and fly them over enemy countries. That way as god plays whack-a-mole trying to exterminate the gays (who he never seems to be able to hit) the nation they are currently flying over will be destroyed. We can call it the "Glitter Bomb". Yes

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 5 users Like Revenant77x's post
12-10-2013, 05:53 PM
I pray to a higher power, of my own limited understanding as a member of Alcoholic Anonymous, and it seems to work in some ways.
Most religious people IMHO mix up faith with hard line secular knowledge; some atheists think the same way.

AS the German theologian Paul Tillich pointed out.." Doubt is not the opposite to faith, it is a part of faith. In other words, despite all the crap, faith is not a complete stupidity.
13-10-2013, 04:17 AM
(12-10-2013 08:35 AM)RaisdCath Wrote:  OK....this is going to be a test of the power of prayer!!

India is about to be hit by a huge (some say SUPER) cyclone/hurricane. The storm will hit the eastern coast of India; the storm surge is expected to be in the vicinity of 20 to 25 feet and the water will move inland for miles.
Thousands of innocent men, women, and children are in the direct path of this upcoming catastrophe and will surely die unless something diverts the storm!!

Question: is god waiting for the faithful (all theists regardless of ilk) to raise their collective voices in humble supplication for him/her/it to intervene and avert this terrible natural disaster? Surely, god could prove his power by magically diverting this storm and saving the innocent lives of thousands....sure beats turning water into wine!

So....come on all yee faithful; raise your voices in prayer. Pray that god diverts this terrible tragedy and saves all these innocent lives!

My bet is on the storm!

Is this a test or a wager?

In any event by making it a test/wager you've changed the prayers from being acts of intercessory requests into elements of a test or wager.

When all those innocents die....it will be your fault.
[+] 1 user Likes Heywood Jahblome's post
13-10-2013, 04:47 AM
Do not test the lord your God, because he will fuck you up. Also, because he'll fail the test. Remember people: it's not a miracle unless it was statistically likely in the first place. That's how you know it is really god-magic.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
13-10-2013, 07:37 AM
(13-10-2013 04:17 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(12-10-2013 08:35 AM)RaisdCath Wrote:  OK....this is going to be a test of the power of prayer!!

My bet is on the storm!

Is this a test or a wager?

In any event by making it a test/wager you've changed the prayers from being acts of intercessory requests into elements of a test or wager.

When all those innocents die....it will be your fault.

Both god and I share the blame....but god made me do it!!!

And it does look like the storm won and once again god has failed to intervene for the good of the drowned Indian moms, dads, and kids (not to mention cute little kitty pets!!)

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
16-10-2013, 08:35 PM
I tried the whole prayer thing. If I had to take an educated, or uneducated but common sense, decision, I would say the storm is going to go wherever the path of least resistance is no matter the words that are uttered into the ceiling.