'Praying"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2015, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2015 12:39 PM by DLJ.)
'Praying"
I'm sure this is nothing new to most of us, but . .

A friend posted on Facebook "I got a job after only looking for 6 weeks. GOD DID THIS! Thank you Jesus"

I was SO tempted to say, "no, you got this because you're qualified and they needed an employee with your skills."

Another, who's cancer recently went into remission, posted about how it was our prayers that cured her (as expected, nothing about the skills of her doctors). And I'm personally dealing with a lingering health issue, am posting status reports, and I keep getting well meaning comments from people that are praying for me… <Sigh> . . You've been praying for me for a month, and I'm still sick, don't you get it??? …

Why don't some of them offer to actually HELP ME with something tangible? Make me dinner, come over and keep me company, just ask if I need anything!! … no, they'd rather sit and pray . . . .
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like VegMidiMan's post
01-05-2015, 12:40 PM
RE: 'Praying"
Cause prayer is no effort at all and one still could think that he help.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
01-05-2015, 12:42 PM
Welcome to TTA, VMM.

Sorry to read about your ill-health we'll pr. Feel free to vent here when you need to.

Smile

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
01-05-2015, 12:48 PM
(01-05-2015 12:36 PM)VegMidiMan Wrote:  I'm sure this is nothing new to most of us, but . .

A friend posted on Facebook "I got a job after only looking for 6 weeks. GOD DID THIS! Thank you Jesus"

I was SO tempted to say, "no, you got this because you're qualified and they needed an employee with your skills."

Another, who's cancer recently went into remission, posted about how it was our prayers that cured her (as expected, nothing about the skills of her doctors). And I'm personally dealing with a lingering health issue, am posting status reports, and I keep getting well meaning comments from people that are praying for me… <Sigh> . . You've been praying for me for a month, and I'm still sick, don't you get it??? …

Why don't some of them offer to actually HELP ME with something tangible? Make me dinner, come over and keep me company, just ask if I need anything!! … no, they'd rather sit and pray . . . .

I'm sorry that you are going through all of that. In their own sad way, they think they are helping. But you're right, action is much more helpful than prayer. Maybe when they say they're praying for you--you could say you were just praying to God that someone would bring you over a pizza Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
01-05-2015, 01:24 PM
(01-05-2015 12:36 PM)VegMidiMan Wrote:  I'm sure this is nothing new to most of us, but . .

Your unemployed friend got a job because the economy is better...no thanks to the religious right either. The other person whose cancer is in remission, it's because scientists, many of whom are atheists, have worked with evolutionary genetics and scientific methods to find cures for cancer and keep it under control...no thanks to the religious right who fought hammer and tong against genetic biology and science.

And when you get better it will because of medication or your bodies natural ability to fight off diseases- no thanks to the religious right.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
01-05-2015, 01:51 PM
I remember when a buddy of mine's mother in law started succumbing to cancer - he put a thing on Facebook asking for well-wishes, prayers, etc. I told him I didn't pray but I'd cook him some food and wash his dishes if he wanted. So I made a crock pot full of corned beef and cabbage and came over and did his dishes and a load of laundry. I'm more of a hands-on kinda guy I guess.
[+] 7 users Like Mr. Boston's post
01-05-2015, 02:23 PM
Why the hell waste money on doctors when you have cancer if you can just get cured if you pray hard enough?
[+] 1 user Likes 4Syntraph's post
01-05-2015, 02:26 PM
Occasionally I'll prey for someone.....

Just last week I shot a rabbit for the neighbor's dinner.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
01-05-2015, 03:02 PM
On my commute to work this morning there was an interview with some woman who owns a plot of land. Apparently it's a family thing and they grow and sell Christmas trees, have a pumpkin patch, and are now doing something for spring. I guess it's open to the public. She talked about how when they got a portion of it paid off they loaded up the family and went to each of the four corners of the property and prayed. They thanked god because they did the work but god had provided the opportunity for them and it was important that they thank him.

Hard to effectively maneuver through traffic while alternately face-palming and smacking my head on the steering wheel.

Facepalm

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
01-05-2015, 06:36 PM
For your facepalm pleasure, this little gem is on my newsfeed:

[Image: B690123B-6124-4EFA-9F03-58EE4A2B73EE_zpspfimzxjw.jpg]

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post