Praying for Rain

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2014, 11:02 AM
Praying for Rain
So in my hometown, the local news posted to Facebook a piece about Christians coming together to pray for rain. If you don’t know, there is currently a drought in California.

There were a lot of idiotic responses to this, and a lot of good ones two. One good point made was that meteorologist have already been predicting it to rain on Wednesday. So what will happen is, it will rain, as it expected, and the Christians will claim victory for “God” and prayer.

There were a lot of idiotic responses, and many far worse than the one I’m going to post below. But I post this one because I believe it says the most about the general thought process of these people.

"I don't care what some might say or think, I think this is a great thing that people come together for some thing good instead of for some thing Bad. it seem's like the only time we as people only come together at bad times. when we should always love one another and come together at all times nothing wrong with praying to God whats it going to hurt? Does it Hurt you the negative people? No it does not it doesn't do a thing for you or to you so there for if you don't like what we believe then go kick rocks!! I don't go to church every day but I do believe in God and I do Pray to him every day, God has gotten me threw a lot of thing's in my life and you know what It's My right to believe in whatever I want just like you have your right to not believe! Ill pray for all you lost's souls"

Why the assumption that people only come together for bad things. People come together for birthdays, weddings, holidays, dinner, dates, parties, graduations, on an on. I feel like it’s a really Christian mindset to be so focused on the negative for one to make a statement like, “we only ever come together for bad things”. Also, to be fair to her, I do get her point…I guess…I don’t agree with it, but I get the sentiment. Problem is, I don’t know how often we come together for bad things. Most people tend to avoid those for the better ones, plus…how do you count praying for rain, a “good thing”?

Praying for rain, especially when it’s already predicted to rain, is not a “good thing”, it’s a dumb thing.

She does raise a good point though. How does it hurt me that they pray for rain? Why should I be “negative” about it? Well, for one, I’m not negative about it. It’s just that it’s dumb. It’s no different than if someone believes the Sun moves around the Earth. I explain how we know it’s the other way around, and they insist that it the Sun that moves. I’m not being negative in pointing it out, they are just being dumb.

…but, whatever…I guess it feels negative to you. It’s just dumb to me…disagree to disagree…

But how does it hurt me that Christians will pray for rain? It hurts all of us, because these same Christians believe they can solve things like climate through prayer. It’s all in the hands of “God”. Let’s not do anything to solve the problem. Let’s just think about it raining, in a big group, and that will resolve the problem. Meanwhile, these same Christians are the same ones who believe Climate change is not a real thing, and it’s all in the hands of “God”, mere not people. So rather than take the steps needed, and vote for the laws that will protect us from environmental disaster, they believe they can simply beseech “God”. Man caused claimant change is not real, because that’s handled in the realm of “the Lord”. We can simply do as we please to this world, all and anything we want, and “God” well set it right.

It’s hurts us all because they’d rather think it away, rather than do anything to help save the future of our lives on this planet. That’s why prayer hurts.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
24-02-2014, 11:14 AM
RE: Praying for Rain
It also hurts because it's all part of a larger belief system in which they try to use it to control abortions, condemn homosexuals, and terrorize children with hell threats (for just some examples).

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
24-02-2014, 11:14 AM
Also, this, extracted form her comments above, is one that always bothers me:
"God has gotten me threw a lot of thing's in my life..."
No...you got yourself through a lot of things in life. Take some credit for what you've accomplished.

24-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Didn't texas try that? I seem to recall reading about that....

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

24-02-2014, 11:24 AM
(24-02-2014 11:20 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Didn't texas try that? I seem to recall reading about that....

I'm sure they did. I don't know.

24-02-2014, 11:44 AM
If a drought is part of "his plan," then they should just be content in his infinite knowledge of what's best for us. You'll always hear about the plan, "everything happens for a reason," or other such teleological beliefs. But then they're always praying to change the plan for their own desires (egocentric or altruistic) despite the all important plan that is already playing out.
Either everything happens as predetermined or prayers get answered, not both.

The reality, of course, is that neither occur. Thumbsup

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
24-02-2014, 11:47 AM
(24-02-2014 11:20 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Didn't texas try that? I seem to recall reading about that....

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/201...d-prayers/

Yessum this would have been in 2011 when Rick Perry was a major candidate for the republican nominee.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
24-02-2014, 11:49 AM
Tell them Jebus has a plan, and to please stop screwing it up with their prayers.
Cuz we all know the creator of the universe needs to be reminded what he already knew he was already going to do.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
24-02-2014, 11:55 AM
(24-02-2014 11:02 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  So in my hometown, the local news posted to Facebook a piece about Christians coming together to pray for rain. If you don’t know, there is currently a drought in California.

There were a lot of idiotic responses to this, and a lot of good ones two. One good point made was that meteorologist have already been predicting it to rain on Wednesday. So what will happen is, it will rain, as it expected, and the Christians will claim victory for “God” and prayer.
The only way prayer "works" is in a way that is not observable or statistically measurable.
If prayer for rain works then statistically we could prove that prayer works.
We could do tests, get a group of Christians together, get them to pray for rain, get a group of Muslims together, get them to pray for rain, get a group of Hindus together, etc.
We could then prove that prayer works (and know which god) because statistically we could show that there is a significant advantage when a certain god is prayed to. We could then further evaluate prayer. we could discover some other aspects to it. i.e. is prayer more likely to work if higher numbers of people participate? Or if people in the general area pray rather than people on the other side of the world? Or if priests and nuns pray rather than people whom never attend church, or if straight people pray rather than gay people.

But as we know, prayer cannot work on anything that is observable or statistically measurable.
Thus believers must instead pray for inner strength, or pray that their dying loved one is taken care of in heaven...
24-02-2014, 02:49 PM
(24-02-2014 11:02 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  But how does it hurt me that Christians will pray for rain? It hurts all of us, because these same Christians believe they can solve things like climate through prayer. It’s all in the hands of “God”.

I was talking about climate change with someone, and one of his moronic friends chimed in with something to the effect of "It's foolish to believe that man could destroy the planet. God wouldn't allow it.". I asked her "what about nuclear weapons." and the whole thread was deleted before I saw a response.

It's stupidly reckless. There are actual people out there casting actual votes to enact policies based on this nonsense.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post