Praying for rain: Atheist critics show how petty and small-minded they’ve become

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2012, 08:59 AM
Praying for rain: Atheist critics show how petty and small-minded they’ve become
Last week, such atheist hysteria reached a peak when Tom Flynn, executive director of the Council for Secular Humanism, publicly over-reacted to remarks made at a press conference by Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack. In speaking about the devastating drought now facing farmers in the Midwest, the worst in 25 years, the Secretary, who was raised a Roman Catholic, struck a tone both emphatic and personal.

“I get on my knees every day,” he said, “and I’m saying an extra prayer right now. If I had a rain prayer or a rain dance, I would do it.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/o...story.html
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2012, 09:20 AM
RE: Praying for rain: Atheist critics show how petty and small-minded they’ve become
Uhm... "The jury may be out on the efficacy of prayer"

Is that "reporter" (Lisa Miller) still waiting for the O.J Simpson jury decision?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-07-2012, 09:24 AM
RE: Praying for rain: Atheist critics show how petty and small-minded they’ve become
I've said it before, I'll say it again, I cannot think of a more useless activity to engage in than prayer.

I felt that way even when I was a Christian...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
[+] 2 users Like Seasbury's post
27-07-2012, 09:26 AM
(27-07-2012 09:24 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  I've said it before, I'll say it again, I cannot think of a more useless activity to engage in than prayer.

It is as effective as homeopathy... placebo and no more. The weather certainly isn't affected by placebos.
27-07-2012, 02:24 PM
(27-07-2012 09:24 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  I've said it before, I'll say it again, I cannot think of a more useless activity to engage in than prayer.

So about a week ago I was having dinner with my parents. My daughter was there, being the little angel that she typically is (or at least that I can't help perceiving her to be) and my little nephew was also present, throwing a fit -- he refused to sit down to eat and was being obnoxiously loud. My dad said a blessing over the food (as usual) and specifically prayed for God to "help our grandson calm down". He followed the prayer immediately with a command for the kid to settle down and behave right now. I thought to myself, "He doesn't believe his prayer will have any effect, either. Here he is doing God's job for Him because he knows from experience that jack shit will get done by God."

I had an argument once with my mother about the efficacy of prayer while she was making dinner. I asked her why she bothered doing all that work every night instead of praying for dinner to be provided for her. She said that she wouldn't treat God like a "galactic vending machine". I wouldn't either if I kept putting in quarter after quarter and getting nothing in return.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 4 users Like Starcrash's post
29-07-2012, 01:40 PM

[+] 1 user Likes advancedatheist's post
30-07-2012, 08:56 AM

I felt the same way the entire time, even as a child.

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.
[+] 1 user Likes AmishLatinJew's post
30-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Why does that pass as journalism when I can literally write something better with my eyes closed, half asleep, with no fingers?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]