Praying to a Powerless God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Praying to a Powerless God
Today somebody posted a photo of a terribly deformed newborn infant on my Facebook page. The caption implored folks to "say a prayer" with the hopes that "Jesus would heal" this unfortuante child.

Curious, I opened up the "comments" section. Of the some 19,000 responses, every one that I saw said something to the effect of "amen," "Dear God, heal this child in Jesus' name" In other words, the typical recitations you'd expect in a prayer thread/chain.

Nobody- not one person (at least that I saw) bothered to ask what seems to me a glaringly, painfully obvious question: Why would you pray to a god to heal a child when he did nothing to prevent that child from being born that way in the first place? My already dim view of most of humanity sank a couple clicks lower. If god can heal this child, why not spare some suffering (both the baby's and the parents) and merely allow the child to be born healthy in the first place? If god doesn't have the power to prevent deformity, why would he have the power to heal it after the child is born?

Of course, the answer that seems to be free of the most assumptions is that god is imaginary and, because life is rough, shitty things sometimes happen without rhyme or reason. I would be very pleased to be convinced otherwise. Never want to shut my mind off from any possible truth or wisdom.

My initial impulse was to post these thoughts and questions in that Facebook thread but I changed my mind. It just didn't seem the appropriate venue to start such a discussion or ask such questions. So, I came here. Thanks for reading. I feel better for having gotten this crap off my chest.

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like TheMrBillShow's post
28-03-2013, 01:12 PM
RE: Praying to a Powerless God
I think the answer from a theist would be , if he heals the child , he is showing those people his power, goodness, etc...of course he has had plenty of chances to do that but elected not to...if he was real..
28-03-2013, 01:14 PM
The problem is, god does not use FB. He uses Twitter https://twitter.com/god

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like KVron's post
28-03-2013, 02:49 PM
no, god does use facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheGoodLordAbove
28-03-2013, 06:00 PM
(28-03-2013 01:03 PM)TheMrBillShow Wrote:  Today somebody posted a photo of a terribly deformed newborn infant on my Facebook page. The caption implored folks to "say a prayer" with the hopes that "Jesus would heal" this unfortuante child.

Curious, I opened up the "comments" section. Of the some 19,000 responses, every one that I saw said something to the effect of "amen," "Dear God, heal this child in Jesus' name" In other words, the typical recitations you'd expect in a prayer thread/chain.

Nobody- not one person (at least that I saw) bothered to ask what seems to me a glaringly, painfully obvious question: Why would you pray to a god to heal a child when he did nothing to prevent that child from being born that way in the first place? My already dim view of most of humanity sank a couple clicks lower. If god can heal this child, why not spare some suffering (both the baby's and the parents) and merely allow the child to be born healthy in the first place? If god doesn't have the power to prevent deformity, why would he have the power to heal it after the child is born?

Of course, the answer that seems to be free of the most assumptions is that god is imaginary and, because life is rough, shitty things sometimes happen without rhyme or reason. I would be very pleased to be convinced otherwise. Never want to shut my mind off from any possible truth or wisdom.

My initial impulse was to post these thoughts and questions in that Facebook thread but I changed my mind. It just didn't seem the appropriate venue to start such a discussion or ask such questions. So, I came here. Thanks for reading. I feel better for having gotten this crap off my chest.

Most every morning I drive by a Planned Parenthood which nearly always has the same group of picketers out front. There is always a sign that reads: "Pray to stop abortion." Virtually same same bleeding obvious question comes to my mind; if there's a god who's powerful enough to actually stop abortion, why hasn't he yet? It's pathetic that they believe that an omnipotent/omnipresent creator of all things beautiful would simply allow evil atrocities (in their minds) to take place unless everybody begs him to make it stop.

How many times have they prayed? For how many years? What is their current rate of success? ZERO. Of course they will rationalize it with the old "god's plan, mysterious ways" bullshit. Gee, dipweasels, if the invisible cloud man is merely enacting his plan, then he'll just keep killing babies at his whimsy regardless of your whining.

NOTE: This post was not intended to start an abortion debate. Offtopic

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
28-03-2013, 06:05 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2013 12:25 AM by Doctor X.)
Tongue RE: Praying to a Powerless God

Those who administer and moderate in order to exercise personal agenda merely feed into the negative stereotype of Atheism
[+] 1 user Likes Doctor X's post
28-03-2013, 06:24 PM
(28-03-2013 06:05 PM)Doctor X Wrote:  
(28-03-2013 06:00 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  There is always a sign that reads: "Pray to stop abortion." Virtually same same bleeding obvious question comes to my mind; if there's a god who's powerful enough to actually stop abortion, why hasn't he yet?

Because of YOU! YOU are why it happens! YOUR lack of faith!

YOU ARE WHY THIS FORUM CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!!!1![!--Ed.]

--J.D.

Wait... It's been ME this whole time?? I had no idea that I held that kind of power.

AWESOME SAUCE! Big Grin

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 1 user Likes Jeffasaurus's post
28-03-2013, 07:58 PM
(28-03-2013 01:03 PM)TheMrBillShow Wrote:  Nobody- not one person (at least that I saw) bothered to ask what seems to me a glaringly, painfully obvious question: Why would you pray to a god to heal a child when he did nothing to prevent that child from being born that way in the first place? My already dim view of most of humanity sank a couple clicks lower. If god can heal this child, why not spare some suffering (both the baby's and the parents) and merely allow the child to be born healthy in the first place? If god doesn't have the power to prevent deformity, why would he have the power to heal it after the child is born?

I've asked the same question to believers. A glazed look comes over their eyes...
Or I tell them they shouldn't be praying and asking Him to change His perfect plan, that would be very arrogant.
These conversations never end well.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
28-03-2013, 09:07 PM
(28-03-2013 01:03 PM)TheMrBillShow Wrote:  My initial impulse was to post these thoughts and questions in that Facebook thread but I changed my mind. It just didn't seem the appropriate venue to start such a discussion or ask such questions. So, I came here. Thanks for reading. I feel better for having gotten this crap off my chest.

This is why these things are permitted to continue. Fear. Fear of stepping on people's toes and causing a fuss. If it were a hospital room or a funeral, and the mother was crying over the bed or casket; I would understand your refrain. But this was Facebook, and apparently thousands of people had the potential to have their intellect slapped awake by what would have been a perfectly reasonable question on your part.

We can't change these bastards if we don't bother to speak up in the first place.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Misanthropik's post