Pre-Darwin Christian art doesn't like evolution either

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Pre-Darwin Christian art doesn't like evolution either
I recently picked up an art minor in college. My main focus is Asian art, but I have recently fallen in love with Italian Renaissance art. This interest has driven me to purchase a book that explains the meaning behind symbols in Christian art. The very first passage is "Ape":

Quote:"In Christian art, the figure of the ape has been used to symbolize sin, malice, cunning, and lust. It may also symbolize the slothful soul of man: blind, greedy, sinful. Satan is sometimes portrayed in the form of an ape, and, when he is shown as an ape in chains, the idea of sin conquered by faith and virtue is conveyed. The ape sometimes appears, together with other animals, in the scenes of the Visitation of the Magi" (Ferguson, Signs and Symbols in Christian Art, p. 1)

With such a negative picture of apes, I imagine that Darwin would have been burnt at the stake if he had proposed his theory only a couple of hundreds years before. What's funny is that even Christians noticed the human-like qualities of apes back then.

I would love to make a stain glass window of man and ape evolving from a common ancestor. Of course I would feel obligated to donate it to a local church.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
22-02-2012, 08:02 PM
RE: Pre-Darwin Christian art doesn't like evolution either
The meaning of the english word "brut" several hundred year ago meant "animal".
Lower class people were considered bruts or as you may guess, apes

It could have been then that they sort of knew something was up.
We look too much alike.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
Find all posts by this user
26-02-2012, 09:09 PM
RE: Pre-Darwin Christian art doesn't like evolution either
(21-02-2012 10:27 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I would love to make a stain glass window of man and ape evolving from a common ancestor. Of course I would feel obligated to donate it to a local church.

Every church, mosque and synagog in the world needs to be outfitted with those windows. I would love to see you have a very prosperous carreer fulfilling that need.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes No J.'s post