Preacher hit in head with baseball bat

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2016, 01:09 PM
RE: Preacher hit in head with baseball bat
(30-05-2016 11:27 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(30-05-2016 05:07 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  Come on really this guy was in front of a SCHOOL! If my child went there and that happened I'd be demanding why the police wasn't called on his ass and for the school to have made sure he was removed!
This should never have gotten to point that a student had to take it in her hands toget rid of a hate spewing asshole from her school! She is a child and the adults should ave protected those kids from this nasty excuse for a human being!
While i don't think he should have been hit, he should never have been allowed to go as far as he did. That is NOT protecting our children!
I'm more concerned about how this going to effect this poor girl and her future because the adults failed her!

How far should he have been allowed to go?

On what grounds could the police have removed him?

Should children (in this case, young adults) be protected by isolation or by inoculation?

Consider

Disturbing the peace

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
31-05-2016, 02:15 PM
(31-05-2016 01:09 PM)Losty Wrote:  
(30-05-2016 11:27 PM)DLJ Wrote:  How far should he have been allowed to go?

On what grounds could the police have removed him?

Should children (in this case, young adults) be protected by isolation or by inoculation?

Consider

Disturbing the peace

Yes, he should have been removed for disturbing the peace. That would have been a solution.

We don't know what the motivation of the batter was. Like I said before, we need to know why she had a bat in the first place. Did she bring it with intent? Or was she a raped woman losing it, grabbing the bat and swinging?

If you are going to scream about things that cause PTSD, and wish them on people, it would be wise not to do so in front of, or directed at, the PTSD sufferer. People flip out.

Rape is not about sex, it's about violence and helplessness. It leaves permanent damage.

He yelled his crap at the wrong woman. It was bound to happen sooner or later. If you are going to go around opening people's wounds and digging around in them, you have to expect them to react.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
31-05-2016, 02:22 PM
(31-05-2016 02:15 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(31-05-2016 01:09 PM)Losty Wrote:  Disturbing the peace

Yes, he should have been removed for disturbing the peace. That would have been a solution.

We don't know what the motivation of the batter was. Like I said before, we need to know why she had a bat in the first place. Did she bring it with intent? Or was she a raped woman losing it, grabbing the bat and swinging?

If you are going to scream about things that cause PTSD, and wish them on people, it would be wise not to do so in front of, or directed at, the PTSD sufferer. People flip out.

Rape is not about sex, it's about violence and helplessness. It leaves permanent damage.

He yelled his crap at the wrong woman. It was bound to happen sooner or later. If you are going to go around opening people's wounds and digging around in them, you have to expect them to react.

I agree. Like I said it should not have gotten as far as it did. All adults in this situation failed this young girl and she is having to face the consequences of that. While I do think she should have used self control we don't know her state of mind. And this guy egged it on period. He is the adult and he came to these kids and started it. He's lucky someone didn't end his life. Not that I think it is the right thing but at the same time we need to be aware that when you egg on a situation something not good is a huge possibility.
[+] 3 users Like purpledaisies's post
31-05-2016, 02:51 PM
I don't in any way condone violence to stifle another's speech. That said, I have precious little sympathy for those who go looking for trouble and find it.
[+] 5 users Like Mr. Boston's post
31-05-2016, 04:32 PM
People are a strange lot. I have to wonder if he really had the capacity to control his actions.
Was he so driven that he had to take a bullhorn to a high school and shout obscenities at them ?
It's really rare for someone to do this. Perhaps just as rare as a school shooting.

I'm also personally conflicted by my own reaction to violence. I feel like I would condone the violence as long as someone else is doing it, but I don't think I would personally do it myself. Why do I condone a violent reaction ?

I think because it's my "natural" reaction.
Because we live in a more civilized society, I should be able to curb my natural reactions and choose a calmer course of action that is not violent.

I know that there are klan gatherings in the US. They have a right to gather and can freely and openly say what they want.
These gatherings are not held on the steps of city hall, (any town USA). They are tucked away so that only the people who want to listen to such things can go there.

This preacher can say all he wants in his church and even use a megaphone if he wants, because people are freely going there to hear him speak and they can leave if his speech is beyond what they wanted to hear.

The kids at the school could have also left, but in many ways, it's also their place of business. They are there to be educated and their parents have paid for them to be there.

This guy took it upon himself and decided to poke a bee hive.
I'm fairly certain he has the ability to consider the consequences of his actions.

The person who hit him reacted to his verbal assault with a physical assault, which I still find to be "natural" reaction.
My natural reaction (over the net) is to cheer the baseball bat to his dome.
Had I been there in person, my reactions wouldn't have been violent. In fact I would have ignored him and moved on.

I don't know how many times this guy has gone to this school and shouted at kids using a megaphone.
Maybe it was his first time. Maybe he had been doing it for months and someone just got fed up with his vulgar verbal assault.

Violence shouldn't be our first reaction and I think in the future when I write about my reactions to such things, I'll think about how I would really act if I was there instead of having a reaction from behind this computer screen.

Because I truly have had a conflict when it comes to my gut reaction to such things.
I'll have to keep an eye on that and I appreciate others here who don't have a propensity to violence.
Thank you for making me take a closer look at my own reactions.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
31-05-2016, 05:15 PM
(31-05-2016 02:15 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(31-05-2016 01:09 PM)Losty Wrote:  Disturbing the peace

Those sound exactly like the words of a rape apologist to me. He was asking for it right?

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
31-05-2016, 05:55 PM
(31-05-2016 05:15 PM)Losty Wrote:  
(31-05-2016 02:15 PM)Dom Wrote:  Yes, he should have been removed for disturbing the peace. That would have been a solution.

Those sound exactly like the words of a rape apologist to me. He was asking for it right?

Maybe. He could be a strangely theatrical masochist. I don't really know having never met the guy.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
31-05-2016, 06:07 PM
(31-05-2016 05:15 PM)Losty Wrote:  
(31-05-2016 02:15 PM)Dom Wrote:  Yes, he should have been removed for disturbing the peace. That would have been a solution.

No, he wasn't considering that raped women often are left with PTSD and are not rational when in that state.

You don't jump out in front of a soldier with PTSD and yell: "I will chase you through the desert and kill your friends."

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
31-05-2016, 06:14 PM
"This guy needs to be punched in the face for what he is saying"

Ok.

If you have the balls to do it, go ahead and punch him in the face or hit him with a bet over his head and then face the consequences of your actions.

But, in that case, please don't be a dishonest asshole claiming that you still have a moral high ground over this guy.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
31-05-2016, 06:20 PM
(31-05-2016 06:14 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  "This guy needs to be punched in the face for what he is saying"

Ok.

If you have the balls to do it, go ahead and punch him in the face or hit him with a bet over his head and then face the consequences of your actions.

But, in that case, please don't be a dishonest asshole claiming that you still have a moral high ground over this guy.

What if I accidentally smothered him with a big old girlybear hug?

[Image: Bear_Hug_by_CommodoreElfman.jpg]

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post