• 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2016, 06:39 PM
RE: Preacher hit in head with baseball bat

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
31-05-2016, 08:28 PM
The Freedom of Expression is vital to any civilized society. That said, let's look at some nuance here. I can't help but notice that the video begins with Brother Dean shouting through a megaphone at a school from across the street. Given his obvious zeal, I'm left wondering why he isn't on the school grounds. Is it possible that there are laws that prohibit proselytizing on school grounds? Could it be that Brother Dean was using a bullhorn to flagrantly violate the spirit of these laws while trying to tiptoe along their legal borders?

In order to have any meaningful discussion on Freedom of Expression as it applies to this incident we must first examine whether Brother Dean was free to express his ideology in the manner that he was using or if he was in fact doing something dodgy, if not outright illegal.

Tabitha Brubaker did not have the right, or even a moral perogative, to assualt Brother Dean. That should go without saying.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
31-05-2016, 08:42 PM
(31-05-2016 12:02 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  My momma bear came out last night. And I still believe that there shouldn't be this kind of stuff at our schools. It opens the door for what we saw in the video. I'm not debating on how I feel. And I so not cuddle my kids they will be the first to tell you that. I'm a huge fan of independence and for then to know how to do things for themselves. My favorite line is "use your brain" when they ask me to help with things.
But this is going beyond that as someone is coming in to their school. Just like I would have a problem with a child malester as a teacher!
Protecting our children is not cuddling it is making sure danger stays away.
So again it should be illegal to that crap within so many feet if a school. I want to know that when u sent my child to school that they are safe and no one is screaming at then telling them how evil and that they deserve to be raped. That to me us a reasonable request!

If it helps appease Momma Bear any it's entirely possible that the authorities were en route. It's about 17 minutes from Brother Dean's first shrieking to him getting clubbed with a baseball bat. Given the time it would take for the news to percolate up to somebody who has the authority/responsibility to call this in and the response time of the police it's likely that his attacker may well have prevented his arrest.

Typically the authorities take a healthy interest in anybody shouting through a megaphone at a school. When that somebody is obviously shouting messages of hatred their interest gets a lot more intense.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
31-05-2016, 08:54 PM
Cricket bat.

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

[Image: gray-nicolls-supernova-limited-edition-c...1453237025]

Baseball bat.

[Image: Personalized-Baseball-Bat.jpg]

[Image: baseball-player-hit-ball.jpg] LaughatEvil_monsterEvil_monsterEvil_monsterTongue

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
31-05-2016, 09:28 PM
Honestly, I think that this was a missed opportunity. More than a few people have pointed out that Tabitha Brubaker's assault of Brother Dean wasn't simply wrong and illegal, it was stupid as well. It plays directly to his martyrdom complex, justifies his bigotry in his own mind and that of his followers and invites yet more violence in the form of retaliation. I would not be at all surprised to learn that Brother Dean shows up to the next school he decides to preach at carrying a firearm. And Arizona is a stand your ground state. Weeping

So what's the smart way to deal with this?

Well for a start, let the police handle it. They ought to be able to get him to move along at a bare minimum. Charges of disturbing the peace and proselytizing on school grounds are also possible.

But let's assume for the moment that the police are unwilling or unable to deal with the problem. After all, they can't do much about the real problem, which is that Brother Dean will just find another school to spew his hatred at tomorrow.

What Brother Dean craves is validation and attention. Sadly this is exactly what Tabitha Brubaker's actions gave him.

What he needs to be given is contempt, ridicule, scorn and a little humiliation. The Zeroth Commandment reads "Thou Shalt Not Snicker!" It's hard to have your message of hate taken seriously if everybody's pointing and laughing.

Reltzik suggested pieing him, which I quite like, but it's amazing the shitheads that you run into when you don't have a custard cream handy. Or a 20 pound bag of ripe chicken shit.

At the 17 minute mark of the video, Brother Dean is rather focused on a very large, muscular, black teacher who does not seem to be terribly thrilled with the way Brother Dean has been behaving towards his students. This is likely why neither sees Tabitha's swing coming. Rather than clubbing Brother Dean about the head, Tabitha should have used his distraction to quiety sneak up behind him and yank his pants down around his ankles. And she should have had a friend capture the magic moment on their smartphone and send it straight to Facebook.

Brother Brubaker is quite free to continue expressing whatever passes for his opinion despite the mockery. It will simply make the spectacle that much more ridiculous.

The police arrive to find everybody pointing and laughing at a man wearing a sign reading "You Deserve to be Raped" who, if he is very stupid, will complain that he has been sexually assaulted by a girl. And while that's strictly accurate in the legal sense I'd like to think that it would be a rare judge who would give her more than a fine or community service for her actions.

---
[+] 5 users Like Paleophyte's post
31-05-2016, 10:32 PM
(31-05-2016 09:28 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Honestly, I think that this was a missed opportunity. More than a few people have pointed out that Tabitha Brubaker's assault of Brother Dean wasn't simply wrong and illegal, it was stupid as well. It plays directly to his martyrdom complex, justifies his bigotry in his own mind and that of his followers and invites yet more violence in the form of retaliation. I would not be at all surprised to learn that Brother Dean shows up to the next school he decides to preach at carrying a firearm. And Arizona is a stand your ground state. Weeping

So what's the smart way to deal with this?

Well for a start, let the police handle it. They ought to be able to get him to move along at a bare minimum. Charges of disturbing the peace and proselytizing on school grounds are also possible.

But let's assume for the moment that the police are unwilling or unable to deal with the problem. After all, they can't do much about the real problem, which is that Brother Dean will just find another school to spew his hatred at tomorrow.

What Brother Dean craves is validation and attention. Sadly this is exactly what Tabitha Brubaker's actions gave him.

What he needs to be given is contempt, ridicule, scorn and a little humiliation. The Zeroth Commandment reads "Thou Shalt Not Snicker!" It's hard to have your message of hate taken seriously if everybody's pointing and laughing.

Reltzik suggested pieing him, which I quite like, but it's amazing the shitheads that you run into when you don't have a custard cream handy. Or a 20 pound bag of ripe chicken shit.

At the 17 minute mark of the video, Brother Dean is rather focused on a very large, muscular, black teacher who does not seem to be terribly thrilled with the way Brother Dean has been behaving towards his students. This is likely why neither sees Tabitha's swing coming. Rather than clubbing Brother Dean about the head, Tabitha should have used his distraction to quiety sneak up behind him and yank his pants down around his ankles. And she should have had a friend capture the magic moment on their smartphone and send it straight to Facebook.

Brother Brubaker is quite free to continue expressing whatever passes for his opinion despite the mockery. It will simply make the spectacle that much more ridiculous.

The police arrive to find everybody pointing and laughing at a man wearing a sign reading "You Deserve to be Raped" who, if he is very stupid, will complain that he has been sexually assaulted by a girl. And while that's strictly accurate in the legal sense I'd like to think that it would be a rare judge who would give her more than a fine or community service for her actions.
Needs a bucket of likes, but I have access to only one, which you got.
31-05-2016, 10:58 PM
I definitely agree that mockery is the best treatment for such backward beliefs.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
31-05-2016, 11:40 PM
(31-05-2016 06:07 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(31-05-2016 05:15 PM)Losty Wrote:  Those sound exactly like the words of a rape apologist to me. He was asking for it right?

No, he wasn't considering that raped women often are left with PTSD and are not rational when in that state.

You don't jump out in front of a soldier with PTSD and yell: "I will chase you through the desert and kill your friends."

I know what it's like to be raped and what it's like to have PTSD. I'm not arguing that it isn't a good defense for her. I am saying that "well he should have been more careful about what he said" sounds a lot like "well she should have been more careful about how she dressed". It's victim blaming, and it's wrong even when the victim happens to be a scumbag. And yes, even though he's a scumbag, the preacher was the only victim in this scenario.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
01-06-2016, 12:10 AM
... or when then assailant has an understandable background to his or her actions.

To explain is not to excuse.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
01-06-2016, 12:50 AM
(01-06-2016 12:10 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  ... or when then assailant has an understandable background to his or her actions.

To explain is not to excuse.

Yes, the legal term for this is a "mitigating factor". In other words, the crime was still committed, but the person had motivations for doing it that can be understood by the Judge/Jurors, and thus a lighter punishment meted out.

There are, of course, also "aggravating factors" which increase the punishment, such as clear malice, cruelty, or an extreme amount of damage/harm for that type of crime.

Edit to Add: On the other hand, I'm not sure mockery is much more useful than the rest. The Christianity memetic virus has thoroughly defended itself against mockery; they expect it, claim it's people influenced by demons or hatred of God (he says that, several times, in his videos), and consider it just as much evidence that they're doing the right thing as anything else.

(At least Yahweh's clerics no longer have the power to call down she-bears to murder children when they mock the Prophets of Gawd, right?)

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post