Preaching Ignorance on Campus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Preaching Ignorance on Campus
Righty-o guys. I need some help.

My internet has been down, so I've been at the campus computer cluster. Done for the day, or so I thought, I was going to head back home. But I had to go to the bathroom, so I ducked into the Center for the Arts, which also includes the biggest auditorium on campus. Turns out, there was a Jehovas Witness assembly there.

Well, this'll be interesting, I thought. And it wasn't like I had anything better to do. So, I go in and listen. The guy is rambling about the use of Jehovas name. Pretty boring standard stuff, but I didn't expect to be enthralled, and my standards for things to do was pretty low to begin with. But then... he starts talking about loathing apostates and talking about how higher education is dangerous.

*sigh* Oh religion, why can't you not fail for five Jehovah-damned minutes (HAH!). Needless to say, I was pretty pissed off at the man who was preaching about the evils of higher education... on a college campus... which he drove to in his car... while talking on a microphone. He also talked about how you need to keep your children at home, basically so that you can control them.

If this was just a bunch of crap about standard god stuff, I would have just listened and reflected on how I could be playing some League of Legends instead, and that this was sadly about as good as I got. But no. He had to go teaching poison. Disgust would be a very appropriate word.

So, here's my question. They're coming back tomorrow. And I don't feel like I can let this just stand (Also, I'll still probably have no internet, nor any work to do, I'd be more willing to let this slide if I was in a better mood and had more to do Big Grin). But I'm not sure. I don't feel comfortable just confronting the speakers as they're leaving. But I want to do something. I want to counter these claims, at the very least, of anti-intellectualism. I can save pointing out the rest of the flaws in their religion some other time (Not that I wouldn't enjoy it).

Any idea how to go about it? I was thinking of maybe sitting outside after the assembly (Or maybe hanging around the lounge) with a sign inviting conversation. Something like, "Ask an Atheist". *shrug*

It's one thing when people talk about believing in gods, or even when they try to defend Yahwehs bloodthirstiness. But when I hear these people talking about how women are lesser than men, or that higher education is dangerous, or that children should be strictly controlled... that's when I start to have problems. Maybe the rest of you are more inured to this bullshit, but you don't get too many fundies up in New England.

So, if anyone has any ideas about how to confront these people tomorrow, I'd be all ears. At least, whenever I have access to someone elses internet Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2011, 05:24 PM
RE: Preaching Ignorance on Campus
Ugh I feel for you sines I truly do. How to deal with lunatics? Best to avoid because that IS what they are. But if you feel spirited I think your idea of the sign is a good one, getting others involved would be ideal as you will encounter a lot of negativity. Also if you can make your own pamphlets that's an idea. I want to do that myself, you know spread the gOod word and all. Good luck Sines, may FSM be with you as you take these trials to common sense on.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-09-2011, 06:06 AM
Pretend to be an innocent, new member and start asking questions. Then, let the games begin.

10 points for every question asked
20 points per retort towards the answerer
500 bonus points if the crowd starts clapping
500 points per question the guy cannot answer.
1000 points per member who converts.
The more points you get, the better.

Bonus things to do:
- Convince them to join the Church of the (anything you want)
- Get some of your brave friends. Ask questions one by one, each question with a different person. The more people you get, the less they suspect this trick. Repeat for hilarity.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
04-09-2011, 03:27 PM
I would leave out the part about being an atheist. If you highlight that, you will find a whole bunch of people tune you out without even listening to you and you want to be heard.

I'd ask him what he has to fear. Point out that educated people have given us medicine, machines, the microphone he's using, the car that drove him there, the air conditioning that keeps the building cool. Why should we fear knowledge? Push on him what education has given us to alleviate hunger, sickness, poverty, etc. and ask what his religion has contributed aside from ignorance and fear. Fight him on his own grounds and let the audience decide who's right.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
04-09-2011, 04:42 PM
They were passing out NT bibles on my campus. I took one and said thanks! Just a sharpening stone for my sword. It is also one less bible that would go to someone that might be a little more feeble minded.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
04-09-2011, 04:51 PM
The guys who parade with signs just off of campus have already been a few times this year. I want to get another person to stand on one end of the street from them and myself on the other, wearing sandwich boards with trashcans fixed to them and a sign that says "please recycle that guys handouts, and have a nice day."

Is this place still a shithole run by a dumbass calvinist?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Ignorance dancefortwo 9 135 21-07-2014 07:25 PM
Last Post: Ace
  Videos Of Religious Ignorance? WiltedFigTree 10 173 12-07-2014 02:06 PM
Last Post: goodwithoutgod
  Religious Ignorance of Theists Aleprauchanist 10 231 03-04-2014 06:17 AM
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Evil Religious Teachings Camouflaged as "Motivational Preaching" Matthew Laramore 6 509 19-05-2013 10:16 PM
Last Post: Matthew Laramore
  So there's some people street preaching going on Foxcanine1 3 320 26-04-2013 10:38 PM
Last Post: Foxcanine1
  New preaching duties / division of labor / help wanted Bucky Ball 17 582 10-02-2013 11:22 PM
Last Post: Full Circle
  Ignorance arguments Adenosis 14 753 08-01-2013 08:20 PM
Last Post: Starcrash