"Preaching" before class

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2014, 04:30 PM
"Preaching" before class
I'm taking a college class that has a few members who are -- let's say less than mature. They ignore professors' requests, disrupt class, and are generally annoying. This is a class that is designed in part to help folks with a variety of issues, past and present, so I've done my best to be understanding or just plain ignore them.

Last week, before class, one of these fellows stood up at the front of the class behind the podium and called for people's attention, then declared that 'God is good, all the time' and tried to encourage the others to say it with him. He did this again today before class. Now, it may be that he's making fun of his pastor or religion in general but that's not the vibe I get (though I admit I do my best to tune him out when he starts this). Today I plugged in my earbuds and played a game for a few minutes before the professor arrived.

I wonder what you guys think of this situation. The class will be over in a few weeks, and then it won't be an issue any more. But is this something I or someone else (some other variety of non-Christian, perhaps) could or should complain about in an official manner? I don't necessarily plan on doing so, because I'm generally the 'don't rock the boat' kind AND I don't want to out myself to anybody at school, confidentiality or no confidentiality. I'll note that he usually doesn't reference Jesus specifically, but I did hear him use the name today. He tried to call the student aide up to 'testify' and someone said, '[the student aide] is Jewish' which may or may not be true and/or an attempt at a joke.

Any opinions?

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2014, 04:36 PM
RE: "Preaching" before class
(06-11-2014 04:30 PM)calmblueocean Wrote:  I'm taking a college class that has a few members who are -- let's say less than mature. They ignore professors' requests, disrupt class, and are generally annoying. This is a class that is designed in part to help folks with a variety of issues, past and present, so I've done my best to be understanding or just plain ignore them.

Last week, before class, one of these fellows stood up at the front of the class behind the podium and called for people's attention, then declared that 'God is good, all the time' and tried to encourage the others to say it with him. He did this again today before class. Now, it may be that he's making fun of his pastor or religion in general but that's not the vibe I get (though I admit I do my best to tune him out when he starts this). Today I plugged in my earbuds and played a game for a few minutes before the professor arrived.

I wonder what you guys think of this situation. The class will be over in a few weeks, and then it won't be an issue any more. But is this something I or someone else (some other variety of non-Christian, perhaps) could or should complain about in an official manner? I don't necessarily plan on doing so, because I'm generally the 'don't rock the boat' kind AND I don't want to out myself to anybody at school, confidentiality or no confidentiality. I'll note that he usually doesn't reference Jesus specifically, but I did hear him use the name today. He tried to call the student aide up to 'testify' and someone said, '[the student aide] is Jewish' which may or may not be true and/or an attempt at a joke.

Any opinions?

Walk into class only when the professor walks in and you can avoid the drama.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
06-11-2014, 04:40 PM
If you are in Florida, shoot him. Tell the cops he threatened you with damnation and you were "standing your ground."

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 5 users Like Minimalist's post
06-11-2014, 04:47 PM
(06-11-2014 04:40 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  If you are in Florida, shoot him. Tell the cops he threatened you with damnation and you were "standing your ground."

That could work Consider

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
06-11-2014, 04:59 PM
Tell the professor and the administration.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
06-11-2014, 05:07 PM
(06-11-2014 04:36 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(06-11-2014 04:30 PM)calmblueocean Wrote:  I'm taking a college class that has a few members who are -- let's say less than mature. They ignore professors' requests, disrupt class, and are generally annoying. This is a class that is designed in part to help folks with a variety of issues, past and present, so I've done my best to be understanding or just plain ignore them.

Any opinions?

Walk into class only when the professor walks in and you can avoid the drama.

That's certainly an option, and I've considered doing just that, not only because of this stuff but because occasionally it sounds like a kindergarten recess yard before class. Frusty

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
06-11-2014, 05:10 PM
Interrupt him mid-sentence and tell him you did not pay for this and request he stop. If he keeps it up then, do what Chas said. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
06-11-2014, 06:21 PM
The persons was trying to get all of you to reply. "All the time, God is good". It is kind of a pep rally Christian thing.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
06-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Find out if there are any atheists in your class, and strike up a chorus of "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life"...

Or, if they don't know the song, a simple chant of "BULLSHIT! BULLSHIT! BULLSHIT!" should suffice.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Sam's post
06-11-2014, 10:40 PM
Buy a mini air horn. Every time he talks before class, blast it. Every single mother fucking time.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 7 users Like Rahn127's post