Precognition Again

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2012, 10:38 AM

RE: Precognition Again
(15-07-2012 10:27 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Egor,
Sure glad your wife is okay. That's a scary situation, glad you didn't delay in getting to the ER.

As far as the precognition, I have experienced a few very disturbing incidences of similar things. I, for one, believe that it happens. I think some people are more open to the messages (if you want to call them that) than others. Where those messages come from, I can't say.

Speedy recovery to your wife. And healthy days ahead.

Thanks for the well wishes. And thanks for being honest. At least you aren't in denial, and I agree: I have no idea how precognition works. I have a theory, and in a large part, my current definition of God has bee shaped by my precognitive episodes.

I figure all that exists is God. Our mind is deluded by our physical senses, otherwise we'd know that our mind really was the mind of God--we'd know we were God and we are all that exists. In a dream, in our sleep, when the senses are relaxed, the knowledge of what we're going to do next in the universe slips in.

I hate precognition. It makes me feel insane, like reality is slipping away--or like reality is breaking through into the delusion and illusion we all live in called "the physical universe." Either way, it feels like insanity, and I don't like it. If it were a series of six numbers that hit on the lottery (I always have a ticket.), then I might like it. But what good did it serve in this instance? None. If I hadn't had the dream, at least I wouldn't have had a bad dream "and" the incident itself.

If I needed proof of precognition, it would have been useful, but I don't need any more proof.

Alas, I'm rambling now. Undecided
Quote this message in a reply
15-07-2012, 10:39 AM

(15-07-2012 10:33 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Sorry to hear about your wife. I hope shes back to full health soon.

Thanks FSM. She's doing well. She was an athlete prior to the surgery, so her recovery is textbook, thank god.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Egor's post
15-07-2012, 11:20 AM
Bad gas is bad enough so that must have been terrible. Glad they helped her quickly.

I am sure you were well aware that we would try to rationalize your experience so you can't really expect us to have believed it as evidence of some "emergent consciousness?"

My wife works a third shift and has done so before. It always seems that I have the weirdest dreams after she comes home and they often involve things or events that her entering the room would have generated in my dreams. For instance, she turns on a light, a light appears in my dream or it becomes daylight. Your hearing and other "normal" senses don't just stop working when you go to sleep, you just become less aware of them working. This is why I awake if someone turns on a light or makes a loud noise. Your wife may have been moaning in her sleep causing an event in your dream. There are only so many places on the body to shoot someone so that could have been coincidence or caused by her mentioning it in passing before bed or after dinner or after your run.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Hey Egor - Glad to hear your wife is ok and she gets better soon.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
15-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Hope she gets well soon Smile These brushes with death are always scary...
15-07-2012, 11:38 AM (This post was last modified: 15-07-2012 12:16 PM by Bucky Ball.)
In what way do you think god is telling you, you have injured your wife ? Do you think god could have/should have prevented you from shooting her ?
Not to nit-pick, but didn't you mention time didn't exist ? Time is relative, depending on your speed.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics/fab...abric-time ( see 23:00 ) Every moment already exists.

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&...ns&f=false

(So glad Mrs. G. is ok. Been thinkin' about where you were, and when we were gonna get another great book review.)

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
15-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Hi Egor, hope you and your wife are doing fine. Take care and hope she recovers soon!

Precognition is an interesting phenomena. Some say it's due to coincidence that reality coincides with thought, while some say it's due to external supernatural influences. Having the ability to foresee things can be useful, yet sometimes bring about negative emotions, like your dream you mentioned.

Personally, I had similar experiences before, "foreseeing" things in sudden flashes of thoughts. Sometimes the thoughts get so overbearing it interferes with daily life. I thought was Professor X for the moment.

One day, I decided to list down all of my thoughts which I feel that it predicts something, then cross-check with reality, to see which came true and which didn't. Only approximately 10% of those thoughts predicted something. I suggest trying something similar. If more than 75% of your thoughts do actually predict something correctly, either you are a potential psychic, or you are one lucky guy.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
15-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Glad to hear that your wife is doing well.

I'd like to hear about your first three instances of alleged precognition because this one would likely be unconvincing even to other believers in precognition (e.g. there are plenty of believer in this alleged phenomenon that would reject your example).

And lastly, I'll once again suggest that you read Sagan's "The Demon Haunted World." It might help give you some additional perspective on why you're fooling yourself by believing that this was an instance of precognition.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
15-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Hey, Egor.

All the best to you and your wife. Wish her a speedy recovery for me.

Your evidence of precognition in this case is circumstantial and non-empirical. So from a scientific standpoint, you don't have a leg to stand on. If this boosts your belief in God or precognition, more power to ya. But there's no "proof" to be had here.

That being said, it's kinda fascinating.

I often wonder about the nature of the future. It's amazing how little we know. Time only exists in space time, so if you're outside of this universe then there is no time. That's a great theoretical stomping ground for God, but it's just that, theoretical. Also, the reason humans perceive time moving from present to future, Stephen Hawking explains, is because the amount of entropy in the universe can only increase; thus, we can never return to a point where there was less entropy than there is now; thus, we travel forward in time uniquely. But who's to say that the amount of entropy in space time isn't fixed from the point of creation to the point of universal death and that we just perceive it as linear; like some sort of cosmic record player? Then there's destiny, determinism, causality, free will and all the rest. Who knows how it all really works?

Maybe there is precognition, maybe there isn't.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,

Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
-Hamlet

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 2 users Like Ghost's post
15-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Egor - glad the wife is doing well. Hope you are doing well as well, because I know how stressful it can be not knowing exactly what is going on and if your wife was going to be ok before and after the surgery.

I would like propose a slightly altered viewpoint that still incorporates what you experienced. I'm not discounting the precognition at all. I'm just talking out loud.

When we dream, our ears don't stop working. Our dreams can often interpret real events that are happening around us while we sleep. You heard your wife moaning in her sleep and subconsciously you knew she was in pain.
You dreamt of home invaders and your wife being shot by you. I would suggest that perhaps before you went to sleep, your wife may have mentioned something about the food you bbq'ed not sitting well on her stomach.
You felt guilty because maybe it wasn't cooked all the way through which can lead to food poisoning.

Home invaders = bad food coming into a place where you live
You accidentally shooting your wife = you feeling guilty for possibly being the cause of her pain

I may be way off base, but that's my working hypothesis.

Other than that, I would say, As human beings, we are probably aware of a lot more about the the things around us than our conscious minds are aware of.
Subconsciously, I would say that some of those things can be brought to play in a dream.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post