Precognition Again

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-07-2012, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2012 07:43 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Precognition Again
(16-07-2012 03:33 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Science is based on faith? Atheism is a religion? Science is illogical?

Ain't gonna wade through this whole thread to find Egor's posts you are responding to. But science is most certainly not illogical, atheism is most certainly not a religion and science most definitely is based on faith. It is based on the faith that we have the capacity to objectively observe, measure and characterize reality. While that might seem axiomatic to most, it don't feel axiomatic to all. ... Don't mean I'm anti-science, hell I'm a professional scientist, it's the best bet we got going. ... Don't mean I'm gonna kiss its ring.

(16-07-2012 01:45 PM)Egor Wrote:  I have come full circle in my search for God. I have come to realize there is no God, because all there is is God. I have no religion. I am the circle. Like I said, I have no faith any longer. I know there is no god out there. I am utterly alone, and I am the circle.

I'm actually down with that. Thumbsup

And I actually like Egor when he's not being a prick.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-07-2012, 07:38 PM
(16-07-2012 07:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  ...and science most definitely is based on faith. It is based on the faith that we have the capacity to objectively observe, measure and characterize reality. While that might seem axiomatic to most, it don't feel axiomatic to all. ... Don't mean I'm anti-science, hell I'm a professional scientist, it's the best thing we got going.
Can't agree with you on that. It's not faith that we have the capacity, the results prove it. Science works.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
16-07-2012, 07:41 PM
There are some things out there that we don't understand...yet.

That doesn't make them true or false...that makes them not yet understood.

If all minds were totally closed no one would be looking for answers.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
16-07-2012, 07:54 PM
(16-07-2012 07:38 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-07-2012 07:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  ...and science most definitely is based on faith. It is based on the faith that we have the capacity to objectively observe, measure and characterize reality. While that might seem axiomatic to most, it don't feel axiomatic to all. ... Don't mean I'm anti-science, hell I'm a professional scientist, it's the best thing we got going.
Can't agree with you on that. It's not faith that we have the capacity, the results prove it. Science works.

It does. But why it works is subject to debate. Correlation don't mean causation, but observation and measurement might. Don't get me wrong old man, I don't believe shit except that I am my own personal sweet baby Jebus responsible for saving my own sorry ass. Wink

16-07-2012, 08:39 PM
(16-07-2012 07:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-07-2012 03:33 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Science is based on faith? Atheism is a religion? Science is illogical?

Ain't gonna wade through this whole thread to find Egor's posts you are responding to. But science is most certainly not illogical, atheism is most certainly not a religion and science most definitely is based on faith. It is based on the faith that we have the capacity to objectively observe, measure and characterize reality. While that might seem axiomatic to most, it don't feel axiomatic to all. ... Don't mean I'm anti-science, hell I'm a professional scientist, it's the best bet we got going. ... Don't mean I'm gonna kiss its ring.

And I actually like Egor when he's not being a prick.

Are you eluding to the fact that we have only our perception to tell us something is true and beyond that is questionable? A Matrix deal, sort of?
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
16-07-2012, 08:42 PM
(16-07-2012 07:41 PM)Anjele Wrote:  There are some things out there that we don't understand...yet.

That doesn't make them true or false...that makes them not yet understood.

If all minds were totally closed no one would be looking for answers.

Sorry Anjele but IMHO that's just an argument from ignorance...we don't understand something so therefore it's supernatural. Since there are plenty of rational explanations for what happened, the people that jump to a supernatural explanation just reveal themselves to be pre-disposed to doing so, and not interested in seeking the truth. The closed mind is the one that jumps to an easy myth rather than doing the harder work of assessing what really happened.
16-07-2012, 08:57 PM
I didn't say what I experienced was supernatural, I said I don't have the answer. And I haven't been able to find an answer...yet.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
16-07-2012, 09:06 PM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2012 09:15 PM by GirlyMan.)
(16-07-2012 08:39 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Are you eluding to the fact that we have only our perception to tell us something is true and beyond that is questionable? A Matrix deal, sort of?

Yup. That's precisely what I'm alluding to. Even our perceptions are questionable, no matter how obvious they seem.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
16-07-2012, 09:35 PM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2012 09:39 PM by lightninlives.)
Egor Wrote:You really are deluded. Not only do you fail to grasp what the scientific method is (literally the opposite of religion).

You also fail to grasp the meaning of words like "worship", "prophet", and "religious symbols."

And as if that wasn't enough you make to completely unfounded assertions (e.g. "you desire power in the grade school classroom" and "you would impose your beliefs on others") for which you have no empirical evidence to support.

And lastly, of course, you lump all atheists into one generalized grouping, which is absurd since even atheists argue with one another about all of the matters you raised in this latest post.

You're not an atheist, Egor, no matter how hard you try to convince yourself. Atheists don't believe in god. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Look how upset you get when your faith is challenged. Laughat You're just like a Christian. Hell, I bet you'd have me banned if you could. Yes

Pay attention kiddos, because this is the act of self-delusion in action.

Notice how
a) Egor completely ignores the assertions being posited
b) He deludes himself into believing that someone is 1) upset and 2) has had his/her faith challenged
c) projects his own anthopomorophic belief onto another person (e.g. you're just like a Christian)
d) deludes himself once again by making assumptions for which there is no basis whatsoever

Truth is that you're are clearly self-deluded, Egor, and you literally demonstrate the process by which you continue to delude yourself into believing that you're paradoxical thought processes (ex: "I'm a real atheist...I believe in god") are somehow coherent.

You literally remind me of some of the homeless people I've volunteered with over the years. Mind you, I don't think that you're mentally ill to degree of these street dwellers. Instead, I suspect that like most theists, you compartmentalize your thought processes. In other words, you're likely fairly lucid in your real life (e.g. your work, your personal relationships, navigating through town, social situations, etc).

The only part where you trip up is with this incredibly convoluted, labyrinth-like mythology that you've been building up for yourself over the years.

And that's why I'm far from upset. Instead, what wells up inside of me is empathy and compassion, which is why I work hard to refrain to stooping some of the emotionally immature antics you display when addressing me.

As far as my faith being challenged, that's definitely not going to happen on this forum because the only type of faith I have is in the love and devotion of my wife and other loved ones in my life. See I only put faith in things that I can demonstrate to exist. That's why I don't believe in god.

And no, I wouldn't have you banned. That would only deprive me and my fellow atheists on this board from the joy we will all feel when you finally come to terms with being an atheist. Granted, there's no guarantee that will happen, but based on the progression I've experienced since joining this board, that eventually is seems somewhat inevitable.

I mean hell, you're halfway there. You're already proclaiming yourself to be an atheist; you just haven't figured out that you can't finish by sentence by stating that your atheism is based on your belief that god exists Thumbsup

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
[+] 1 user Likes lightninlives's post
16-07-2012, 10:31 PM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2012 11:01 PM by fstratzero.)
NOTE: The picture I posted is from a movie called "Young Frankenstein", the character is igor, pronounced ee-gore. It's funny and also ironic in that Igor in the movie, participates in science. It wasn't meant to offend.

I'm finally ready to disprove this universal consciousness, communicating to me through my dreams idea.

Have you ever dreamed while watching a movie, or documentary. Later on when you wake up your dream was crazy and insane until you watch what you fell sleep to and it all makes sense. Well I think Egor was the victim of the same phenomenon.

He probably felt his wife put her hand on her stomach, and she started crying out in pain. His brain interpreted this a something bad is happening to my wife and he had a dream that tried to make sense of this. Upon waking rather than men trying to get into the house it was a medical problem.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp