Predetermined beliefs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2014, 12:02 PM
Predetermined beliefs
According to the highly scientific site that is Cracked: 5 traits you think you control but totally don't

So, the first two mentioned in the list are political preferences and belief in God. It makes me wonder how much of this really is controlled even after we apply critical thinking. From my limited knowledge on the subject and anecdotal experience, it makes some sense.
  • Research shows that we make decisions before we're consciously aware of them. It doesn't prove this, but it could be explained by it.
  • Research shows there are differences in ways of thinking between liberals and conservatives. Conservatives tend to have different fear-based reactions than liberals, which might drive why each group perceives different things as threats.
  • From my own experiences, I had religious doubts almost a decade ahead of when I actually stopped believing, and a lot of my belief was a desire to believe rather than actual belief. It's entirely possible I didn't have it in me, and in any circumstance other than cult-like isolation, I would have stopped believing at some point.
Sadly, if this is true, it would make religious debates seem even more fruitless. Basically, they'd be useful for getting all the people on the wrong side of the fence to jump over (in each direction!).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2014, 03:34 PM
Rainbow RE: Predetermined beliefs
The higher power consideration rang something of a bell.
As a recovering alcoholic I choose to believe in a higher power.
Mine is called UFOG (universal force of goodness) and need not be "perfect", whatever that is. Simply a potential cosmic force directed towards a perceived good.

Existentially, life on the whole, including the dumb beasts of burden, does not suggest any transcendent betterment, but as leading Australian atheist David Miller is apt to say...."Who knows"?

We occupy less than a miniscule time frame :and in the big picture many things are possible, with a multitude of genres perhaps out there......Smile
04-04-2014, 09:22 PM
RE: Predetermined beliefs
Okay website... What are these "good reasons to be religious"?

I'm waiting... Drinking Beverage

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-04-2014, 09:43 PM
RE: Predetermined beliefs
Its all genetic, People with high EGO (most), that are lean on curiosity will make up their own gods or claim special kinship with existing stories of them.

None of those 5 traits are concrete but rather genetic templates that mature with environmental stimulus.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".