• 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-06-2013, 08:50 PM
RE: Preferred Religion?
Bahá'í. But that's not listed.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2013, 10:38 PM
I wouldn't choose one. I would create my own.

Cat-worshipping would definitely be a core tenet, that much I can be certain about.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
10-06-2013, 04:31 PM
(09-06-2013 10:38 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  I wouldn't choose one. I would create my own.

Cat-worshipping would definitely be a core tenet, that much I can be certain about.

My wife is a sort of cat worshipper............cept when we have to take Fatboy to the vet.
10-06-2013, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2013 04:59 PM by GirlyMan.)
What, no Jainism? Tongue

[Image: jainism.png]

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-06-2013, 05:18 PM
(09-06-2013 04:07 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  For a good many decades I have been involved with quite a few religions and cults.
Conversely the same can be said for secularism, atheism/agnosticism,humanism and rationalism. At times I have been surprised by all of them.

As most here are mainly atheist/agnostic I wonder what, for whatever reason, religion you would choose if you had to choose one.

Preferred religion anyone? Angel
They all seem to be organized religions. I'd always choose the core esoteric section of each religion - if Islam, then I'd be a Sufi. If Christianity, I'd be a Rosicrucian. If Hinduism, I'd join Vedanta. As a Jew, I'd study Kabbalah.

I'd say these core traditions were mostly founded by people who went through the same deep mystical experience and tried to represent that to people by founding a religion. This experience is sort of like a full-blown clinical death, only without dying. If anything dies, it's ego.
The religions usually meant to serve as sort of a preparatory group and the priests were supposed to watch out for talented individuals and bring them into an in-group for deeper mysteries. Of course it all went horribly wrong during the course of history. Religions have a way of gaining a life of their own.

So in a way, no religion is good enough, but the major ones do have a common golden thread connecting them all, that's their (literally Tongue ) redeeming quality.
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
10-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Ive seen variations of this question before on the forum, I think I may have even started a thread on it. For me it's Sikhism. Don't get me wrong, if if I was less of a skeptic I wouldn't want to be a Sikh, but I think they are tops. They are generally very peaceful, they respect all other belief systems, they even believe that God can be reached through any religion. As a rule they don't push their religion on anyone, nor try to convert anyone. They don't try to control people with fear either. No fire or brimstone. They welcome all beliefs to their temples, and routinely have meals designed so that all are welcome regardless of religious beliefs on food. They aren't pussy pacifists though, they all carry swords traditionally (called a kirpin), but most western Sikhs now carry a mini-version, as little as a few inches in length. The do this to defend themselves, as well as others. I'd be much happier sharing an apartment (flat) with a Sikh than about any other faith I can think of. As far as I'm concerned they are good people.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
10-06-2013, 10:21 PM
Why no flying spaghetti monster?

Greetings carbon-based bipeds. - Arthur Clarke
The stars died so you could be here today. - Lawrence Krauss
Mathematics is the language of nature. - Lawrence Krauss
I care to live only to entice people to look at Nature's loveliness. - John Muir
[+] 1 user Likes wisergeek's post