Pregame Prayer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Pregame Prayer
So my son plays on a sports team where before the game the coaches have a group prayer. The coach knows I am an atheist so he asked me if I objected to my son joining in. Not wanting my son to be an outcast I told him I had no problem with hoping that everybody plays well and no one gets injured. Of course they throw in Jesus this and God that and Amen at the end.

Now this thread isn't to whether I should have objected or not. I figure they could ask Zeus for the same thing and I couldn't care less. My son and I have open conversations about religion so he understands some believe and some don't and he can make up his own mind when he has weighed the options. He loves science so it is leaning very heavy to the "it's all bullshit" side.

The reason I wrote this thread was to get off my chest how freakin' stupid and childish these beliefs in prayer are. How can people really think there is some guy in the sky who is listening to their request and making a decision on the safety of children based on that request. During the prayer somebody somewhere is starving to death, being raped, murdered, getting horribly disfigured in an accident, etc. But if we really close our eyes tightly and all get together He will prevent us from twisting an ankle.

Rant over.

I wasn't . . . until I was
I am . . . until I'm not
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like free2011's post
21-04-2012, 07:42 PM
RE: Pregame Prayer
(21-04-2012 06:24 PM)free2011 Wrote:  So my son plays on a sports team where before the game the coaches have a group prayer. The coach knows I am an atheist so he asked me if I objected to my son joining in. Not wanting my son to be an outcast I told him I had no problem with hoping that everybody plays well and no one gets injured. Of course they throw in Jesus this and God that and Amen at the end.

Now this thread isn't to whether I should have objected or not. I figure they could ask Zeus for the same thing and I couldn't care less. My son and I have open conversations about religion so he understands some believe and some don't and he can make up his own mind when he has weighed the options. He loves science so it is leaning very heavy to the "it's all bullshit" side.

The reason I wrote this thread was to get off my chest how freakin' stupid and childish these beliefs in prayer are. How can people really think there is some guy in the sky who is listening to their request and making a decision on the safety of children based on that request. During the prayer somebody somewhere is starving to death, being raped, murdered, getting horribly disfigured in an accident, etc. But if we really close our eyes tightly and all get together He will prevent us from twisting an ankle.

Rant over.
I hear you.

How old is your son? I think it is immoral to fill young children's minds with prayer as they are not mature enough to recognise it as nonsense.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
21-04-2012, 07:47 PM
RE: Pregame Prayer
Dear Jesus,
Please make the other team lose today.
Make us faster, stronger and supernaturally superior.
Make them feel the pain while protecting us from it.
Degrade their skills so that they cannot perform to their natural abilities.
We pray this in the name of our lord Jesus Christ, Amen.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post