Pregnant teacher fired

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2014, 09:48 PM
RE: Pregnant teacher fired
(04-02-2014 09:21 PM)Noxcuse Wrote:  This story out if butte, MT (Montana Standard, Butte MT illustrates what hypocrites this church is. It is not a simple matter that she signed a contract. First if all none of us knows what specifically the contract says -- but her lawyer does. Second, this is a religious machine that files bankruptcy (see article in the standard regarding the Helena Diocese filing bankruptcy) in all likelihood to avoid paying damages to potentially THOUSANDS of victims of sexual abuse at the hands of priests and nuns. To say it isn't a religion issue is bullshit as the abusers used the cloak of the church to try and hide their dirty secrets. Further, they didn't examine how many kids were born out of wedlock or how many teachers have ever had sex out if wedlock and remove them from influencing the religiously pure. Picking and choosing which principles are followed is wrong. These scumbags ruined lives and they continue -- contract or no contract it's not as simple as she signed so now she goes. To say otherwise seems to show lack of depth.

That's how contracts work. They are legal agreements. There are consequences when you break that agreement.

If you don't agree with or understand what someone wants you to sign, you don't sign it.

I am no fan of religion, especially the Catholic religion. But anyone with about half a brain can figure out that unmarried pregnant women are not high on their list of favorite teachers.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2014, 09:54 PM
(04-02-2014 09:17 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(04-02-2014 09:10 PM)Anjele Wrote:  You read it, they don't read it to you.

What of the second question?
And to reply, I hope I don't sound hypocritical,
Most theist say the bible is "figurative" or "metaphorical" and many people interpret it differently.
So if they don't read it to you, and tell you their interpretation,

Now you have a not only hypocritical, contradictory, code of conduct, it now can be interpreted.different ways!

If you don't understand what's in the contract you don't sign it.

It doesn't matter if your getting a job or signing up for cell phone. It also applies with checking the "I agree" box on iTunes.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

04-02-2014, 09:57 PM
(04-02-2014 09:54 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(04-02-2014 09:17 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  What of the second question?
And to reply, I hope I don't sound hypocritical,
Most theist say the bible is "figurative" or "metaphorical" and many people interpret it differently.
So if they don't read it to you, and tell you their interpretation,

Now you have a not only hypocritical, contradictory, code of conduct, it now can be interpreted.different ways!

If you don't understand what's in the contract you don't sign it.

It doesn't matter if your getting a job or signing up for cell phone. It also applies with checking the "I agree" box on iTunes.
I'm confused now..
Is the church stupid or is she stupid? (Pardon what I said, I can't come up with a proper adjective.)

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
04-02-2014, 10:00 PM
(04-02-2014 09:57 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(04-02-2014 09:54 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  If you don't understand what's in the contract you don't sign it.

I'm confused now..
Is the church stupid or is she stupid? (Pardon what I said, I can't come up with a proper adjective.)

The woman is stupid. She signed a contract, she worked for a catholic school for 9 years. She should have known she would be fired.

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
04-02-2014, 10:15 PM
Who signs a contract for a CATHOLIC school then is shocked by the consequences of breaking the contract with a religious school.....

The woman is a dope (Even though I believe the church/school is run by dopes as well)
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
04-02-2014, 10:16 PM
The article from the Billings Gazette related to this firing states in part, "The diocese's teacher handbook makes clear that its teachers must follow the teachings of the Catholic church, both in their professional and personal lives."

and

The article from the Butte Standard states in part, "the firing is drawing criticism from some Butte Catholics who say the move is in conflict with the message of Pope Francis. Last month, the pontiff baptized the child of unwed parents inside the Sistine Chapel. And in September, Francis called an unmarried Italian woman who'd chosen not to have an abortion and offered to baptize the baby himself. "

So, it is not as simple as signing a contract and "next". When determining whether there has been a violation of rights, discrimination, or a wrongful discharge the court will look for consistency. It seems to me the only consistency within the catholic church is that of hypocrisy.

There is also this story that shows it is certainly possible for this teacher to win a case against the church:
Ohio teacher fired for becoming pregnant wins suit against Catholic Archdiocese of Cincinnati
http://www.cleveland.com/nation/index.ss...comin.html
04-02-2014, 10:38 PM
(04-02-2014 09:54 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  If you don't understand what's in the contract you don't sign it.

I'm confused now..

They're both stupid. Tongue

But yes, a legal contract... I guess. Dodgy

Here in the city I live in, a teacher was getting older without finding her husband to be, so she decided to get artificially inseminated as a single parent. The Catholic school was going to axe her for this, but after asking a few different priests and bishops and finding the right advocate she was able to keep her job. What an ordeal!
04-02-2014, 11:15 PM
(04-02-2014 10:16 PM)CriticalThinking Wrote:  The article from the Billings Gazette related to this firing states in part, "The diocese's teacher handbook makes clear that its teachers must follow the teachings of the Catholic church, both in their professional and personal lives."

and

The article from the Butte Standard states in part, "the firing is drawing criticism from some Butte Catholics who say the move is in conflict with the message of Pope Francis. Last month, the pontiff baptized the child of unwed parents inside the Sistine Chapel. And in September, Francis called an unmarried Italian woman who'd chosen not to have an abortion and offered to baptize the baby himself. "

So, it is not as simple as signing a contract and "next". When determining whether there has been a violation of rights, discrimination, or a wrongful discharge the court will look for consistency. It seems to me the only consistency within the catholic church is that of hypocrisy.

There is also this story that shows it is certainly possible for this teacher to win a case against the church:
Ohio teacher fired for becoming pregnant wins suit against Catholic Archdiocese of Cincinnati
http://www.cleveland.com/nation/index.ss...comin.html

They might settle, but honestly the school shouldn't. I don't care if the pope is unhappy about it. It's still a contract. Is it unfair, probably but again, don't sign a contract and 9 years later think the rules don't apply to you.

Why bother with contracts at all?

04-02-2014, 11:16 PM
(04-02-2014 10:38 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(04-02-2014 09:57 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  I'm confused now..

They're both stupid. Tongue

But yes, a legal contract... I guess. Dodgy

Here in the city I live in, a teacher was getting older without finding her husband to be, so she decided to get artificially inseminated as a single parent. The Catholic school was going to axe her for this, but after asking a few different priests and bishops and finding the right advocate she was able to keep her job. What an ordeal!

Ooooooo you should join that SD group and tell them about it! Watch their fish eating heads explode!

Evil_monster

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
04-02-2014, 11:30 PM

I'm confused now..

She knew precisely what she was getting into when she CHOSE to work for the Ca Church. She signed her contract. She agreed to abide by their (albight hypocritical) code of conduct. What the church does or does not do or what the Bible says or they interpret it to say as all totally irrelevant. She wanted the job, She took the job, KNOWING what it entailed. SHe broke her contract. She should have expected to be fired.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post