RE: Pregnant teacher fired
I can't help but not care.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2014, 01:06 AM
Pregnant teacher fired
They are within their rights to terminate her employment, but it says much about Catholicism. I won't directly contrast this situation with the priest scandals. I will say that the church wants the world to forgive their most recent scandals. Moreover, they don't want any real structural reforms to the church or oversight. (Like the US military) However, this lady isn't worthy of the same consideration that they expect? The leadership is supposed to lead by example. What example? The Catholic Church has and will continue to be a perverse and corrupt institution. If they terminated all those who didn't adhere to Catholic doctrine, who would be left? The man in the big hat? Maybe.
09-02-2014, 01:17 AM
Pregnant teacher fired
If she could prove that the school was inconsistent in their policing of policies, she could win a lawsuit. I doubt this is the only or even the worse situation at the school. In the end, she was fired, because the evidence is blatant and always evident.
09-02-2014, 01:23 AM
Simple solution.

Tomorrow's headline:

Teacher Claims Church Forced Her To Have Abortion To Keep Her Job!

Wink

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
09-02-2014, 01:30 AM
I wonder how many children with unmarried parents go to that school, nice to know that your an abomination in the eyes of the lord.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
09-02-2014, 04:49 AM
(04-02-2014 08:18 PM)Noxcuse Wrote:  The attached story comes from Montana. The world needs to know how bad this institution is toward society. I guess it's ok to diddle little boys in gods name but do NOT get pregnant. Yet, they claim Mary was an unmarried virgin. Arrrrgggghhhh these religious zealots are hypocritical filthy scumbags.

The Helena Diocese has fired an unmarried Butte Central teacher for getting pregnant, its superintendent said Tuesday.

Shaela Evenson taught sixth-, seventh- and eighth-grade literature and physical education at the school for the past nine years. She was dismissed January 10.

“Shaela made a willful decision to violate the terms of her contract,” Superintendent Patrick Haggarty said. “This happened as a result of her decision to violate the terms of her employment contract, and in so doing she’s disqualified from teaching at a Catholic school. It’s a sensitive issue and it’s unfortunate all around.”

Evenson has hired Cincinnati-based lawyer Brian Butler, who specializes in wrongful-termination cases. Evenson told The Montana Standard Tuesday that she Butler are pursuing legal action, but deferred any other questions to him. Butler said he won't be available to comment until Wednesday.

Officials at the school declined to speak about the firing in requests from the Standard made two weeks ago.

On Tuesday, Butte Central elementary and middle school Principal Kerrie Hellyer referred questions to the diocese but said, "She was an excellent teacher."

The diocese's teacher handbook makes clear that employees must follow the teachings of the Catholic church, both in their professional and personal lives.

“The Catholic moral teaching is that the sacrament of marriage is a holy union between a man and a woman,” Haggarty said. “And we certainly believe and we teach our children who attend our schools about the sacrament of marriage. That’s as old as our church. Not only do we teach that to the children kindergarten through 12th grade, but we’re held to that standard as well.”

Diocese spokesman Dan Bartleson said the diocese doesn't investigate the personal lives of its employees but was forced to act when the pregnancy became known. Sources inside the district told The Montana Standard that the Helena Diocese received an anonymous letter about the pregnancy.

"A Catholic school teacher enters into an agreement not only with the district but with parents and teachers ... to follow a lifestyle in line with Catholic teachings," Bartleson said.

Still, the firing is drawing criticism from some Butte Catholics who say the move is in conflict with the message of Pope Francis. Last month, the pontiff baptized the child of unwed parents inside the Sistine Chapel. And in September, Francis called an unmarried Italian woman who'd chosen not to have an abortion and offered to baptize the baby.

Line 6 of your post says "Catholic School" and "employment contract". Not that I don't wish the woman a happy, healthy pregnancy and wonderful teaching career.....
catholic school + employment contract pretty much sums up what happened.

Drinking Beverage

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
09-02-2014, 03:16 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2014 04:06 PM by Cathym112.)
(04-02-2014 09:48 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(04-02-2014 09:21 PM)Noxcuse Wrote:  This story out if butte, MT (Montana Standard, Butte MT illustrates what hypocrites this church is. It is not a simple matter that she signed a contract. First if all none of us knows what specifically the contract says -- but her lawyer does. Second, this is a religious machine that files bankruptcy (see article in the standard regarding the Helena Diocese filing bankruptcy) in all likelihood to avoid paying damages to potentially THOUSANDS of victims of sexual abuse at the hands of priests and nuns. To say it isn't a religion issue is bullshit as the abusers used the cloak of the church to try and hide their dirty secrets. Further, they didn't examine how many kids were born out of wedlock or how many teachers have ever had sex out if wedlock and remove them from influencing the religiously pure. Picking and choosing which principles are followed is wrong. These scumbags ruined lives and they continue -- contract or no contract it's not as simple as she signed so now she goes. To say otherwise seems to show lack of depth.

That's how contracts work. They are legal agreements. There are consequences when you break that agreement.

If you don't agree with or understand what someone wants you to sign, you don't sign it.

I am no fan of religion, especially the Catholic religion. But anyone with about half a brain can figure out that unmarried pregnant women are not high on their list of favorite teachers.

Anj - no employer - religious or not - can require you to sign away your civil rights.

Therefore, it's completely illegal what they did.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
09-02-2014, 03:40 PM
I'm surprised at you guys.

Why didnt she just say that she didnt have sex with anybody and got pregnant ?

Now, lets see the catholic heads explode..... immaculate conception.... yet once again. How would they argue this ? heh,heh Evil_monster

god must have not read the contract. oops ! Dodgy
09-02-2014, 03:53 PM
Besides - employment contract or not - an employer cannot require an employee to give up civil rights. Employment contract, do not supersede state/federal laws.

Title VII of the Civil Rights act of 1964 protects the woman's right to have children.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
09-02-2014, 03:59 PM
(09-02-2014 03:16 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(04-02-2014 09:48 PM)Anjele Wrote:  That's how contracts work. They are legal agreements. There are consequences when you break that agreement.

If you don't agree with or understand what someone wants you to sign, you don't sign it.

I am no fan of religion, especially the Catholic religion. But anyone with about half a brain can figure out that unmarried pregnant women are not high on their list of favorite teachers.

Anj - unless her employment contract specifically stated that she was unable to get pregnant out of wedlock, then the employment contract is far too ambiguous to simply "follow the teachings of the church."

Ambiguity in a contract doesn't benefit the employer, it benefits the signer (since she had no real say in the drafting of the contract.

For instance, they would have to fire everyone that ate shellfish. Or meat on Fridays. Or it's discrimination through selective enforcement.

Actually it can work both ways. The standard is what a reasonable person would infere.
If you are working for any religious establishment it can be inferred that you are bound to their code of conduct.

She felt that she'd been there so long it wouldn't matter.

That's what this is really about, a popular teacher whining that she was wrongfully fired because she got knocked up.

The school is likely concerned that having her teach is sending children the wrong message.

I don't like the catholic church, but I am rather sick of whiners who can't accept that yes life is unfair, and what you do in your personal life can adversely affect your professional one.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon