Pregnant teacher fired

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2014, 04:14 PM
RE: Pregnant teacher fired
(09-02-2014 03:59 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 03:16 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Anj - unless her employment contract specifically stated that she was unable to get pregnant out of wedlock, then the employment contract is far too ambiguous to simply "follow the teachings of the church."

Ambiguity in a contract doesn't benefit the employer, it benefits the signer (since she had no real say in the drafting of the contract.

For instance, they would have to fire everyone that ate shellfish. Or meat on Fridays. Or it's discrimination through selective enforcement.

Actually it can work both ways. The standard is what a reasonable person would infere.
If you are working for any religious establishment it can be inferred that you are bound to their code of conduct.

She felt that she'd been there so long it wouldn't matter.

That's what this is really about, a popular teacher whining that she was wrongfully fired because she got knocked up.

The school is likely concerned that having her teach is sending children the wrong message.

I don't like the catholic church, but I am rather sick of whiners who can't accept that yes life is unfair, and what you do in your personal life can adversely affect your professional one.

I did some research and there is already legal precedent for this. No woman can ever be fired for being pregnant. Ever. Mortality clause or not.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2014, 04:41 PM
(09-02-2014 04:14 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 03:59 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Actually it can work both ways. The standard is what a reasonable person would infere.
If you are working for any religious establishment it can be inferred that you are bound to their code of conduct.

She felt that she'd been there so long it wouldn't matter.

That's what this is really about, a popular teacher whining that she was wrongfully fired because she got knocked up.

The school is likely concerned that having her teach is sending children the wrong message.

I don't like the catholic church, but I am rather sick of whiners who can't accept that yes life is unfair, and what you do in your personal life can adversely affect your professional one.

I did some research and there is already legal precedent for this. No woman can ever be fired for being pregnant. Ever. Mortality clause or not.

Interpretiion varies. . Legal precedent is dependent on a case with similar parameters of the case sited, and if other cases contradict the implication.. And that's solely on the lawyer arguing before the judge if it's accepted or not. Then either side can appeal. But the appeal process is much more narrow in scope.

There have been cases where employers have been upheld in letting go pregnant employees. Jobs that are considered too dangerous could cause harm to the baby carried -- and where there was no other place for the employee to go -- that's the important part.

Was there another position offered this teacher that didn't involve teaching children?

There's too much we don't know about this case.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

09-02-2014, 04:49 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2014 04:52 PM by Cathym112.)
http://www.detroitmiemploymentlawblog.co...cese.shtml

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
09-02-2014, 04:57 PM
Different case from the one being discussed in the OP.

Again, it's about who's lawyer is best.

09-02-2014, 05:03 PM
I still think they'll likely settle it out of court.

09-02-2014, 05:30 PM
(09-02-2014 04:57 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Different case from the one being discussed in the OP.

Again, it's about who's lawyer is best.

Not really. Both women got pregnant without being married. One was even gay.