Prejudice Unrecognized

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2014, 05:08 AM
Prejudice Unrecognized
Out there in the threads some poster groused a peevish "... that thread's a year and a half old; don't people look at timestamps?"

It didn't matter that the resurrected thread attracted several honest and thoughtful fresh replies before the complainant posted his growl; to the complainant apparently sheer age makes anything said too long ago a "violation of Internet etiquette" to resume discourse in.

That attitude strikes me as not just stupid but stupid wrought in irony. It's a prejudice not recognized for what it is: a prejudice, just as irrational and idiotic as any prejudice. And here, of all places, where the very concept of "'nuff said" gets laughed out of Dodge as ignorant and reeking of dogma.

It's an attitude which applied elsewhere would clear my library (two rooms of full wall shelving) as every book in it except the most recently acquired are several years old; most of them were old before I was born and I was born 60 years ago. It would vacate the Library of Congress except for the last editions of periodicals.

It discards regard for history.

To my mind one of the greatest FAILINGS of Internet forums is that there hasn't yet been found a means of codifying meaning, thereby keeping especially meaningful discourse accessible. It's a failing I hope some bright minds are working to correct, because today we wind up saying the same things and churning already plowed ground not realizing that two years ago someone posted insights that make the current conversation superfluous.

I reject the prejudice that an old post is a dead post. It's senseless, and I don't know what roused the prejudice in the first place.

I hope someone chimes in with an answer to that before the clock tips this thread into the chasm of irredeemable age - which around here might be measured in weeks or days.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
20-12-2014, 05:46 AM
RE: Prejudice Unrecognized
Is there not a difference between lifting one of those ancient tomes from your shelf, browsing through its dusty pages, and getting out your crayon set and scribbling an extra chapter on the back page?

I think the main reason that topics keep coming up as new, is that new members / new atheists have questions that they want addressing. Hunting for old threads and adding to them seems sometimes to be like intruding in other people's conversations.

Every time a new 'objective morality' or a 'Myers Briggs' thread comes up, I can't help thinking to myself, "Not again!" but then I remember that it's not again for everyone.

So better this, than resurrecting an old thread that has run its course.

Having said that, thread resurrection is not a crime, IMRHO, and indeed it shows respect from a n00b when they've gone to the trouble of searching for existing threads on a given topic.

So, on balance... Meh!

Drinking Beverage

20-12-2014, 05:59 AM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2014 06:06 AM by gofish!.)
Well that was my post that attracted the troll. Perhaps it would help to provide some perspective.

I found this forum because I had just finished rewatching a movie and, for the first time, seeing it as an atheist movie. A Google search for opinions brought me here. So, in short, this forum's historical threads are a valid research resource and a reason for new members, like me, to join.

Thus is exposed the idiocy of this troll's logic: that some "rule" is more important than discourse. Ironically for one who cited "etiquette", he attempted to be rude and patronising (which doesn't work on me). I suspect it was sanctimony, rather than etiquette that drove him.

That he turns out to be a religious fundamentalist came as no surprise.

This sort of childishness stopped bothering me a long time ago, but if someone asks so clearly to be patronised in return, it is tough to turn them down. Smile

So in response to your post, firstly thanks for your implied concern and good that you point this "etiquette" issue out. However, as for your broader point, I fear that it is impossible to legislate against idiocy. Better in my mind to develop the knowledge that such idiocy actually does not matter.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
20-12-2014, 06:22 AM
(20-12-2014 05:59 AM)gofish! Wrote:  Well that was my post that attracted the troll. Perhaps it would help to provide some perspective.

I found this forum because I had just finished rewatching a movie and, for the first time, seeing it as an atheist movie. A Google search for opinions brought me here. So, in short, this forum's historical threads are a valid research resource and a reason for new members, like me, to join.

Thus is exposed the idiocy of this troll's logic: that some "rule" is more important than discourse. Ironically for one who cited "etiquette", he attempted to be rude and patronising (which doesn't work on me). I suspect it was sanctimony, rather than etiquette that drove him.

This sort of childishness stopped bothering me a long time ago, but if someone asks so clearly to be patronised in return, it is tough to turn them down. Smile

So in response to your post, firstly thanks for your implied concern and good that you point this "etiquette" issue out. However, as for your broader point, I fear that it is impossible to legislate against idiocy. Better in my mind to develop the knowledge that such idiocy actually does not matter.

I've been on this forum about six months and I've seen some very old threads pop up, but some of those threads are epic and I wouldn't have been able to see them otherwise. So, I like it when I see some of these old threads, there have been awesome back and forth dialogue on them.

Though that one thread from the troll hbl would probably make me cringe to see it again, but even that one gives new people an opportunity to see these theists acting out with their horrible behavior on this forum. It's quite an eye opener it terms of their deranged psychology.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
20-12-2014, 07:15 AM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2014 10:09 AM by Anjele.)
There seems to be two responses to necroposting around here...one response is bitching about the old thread being brought back life no matter the subject matter.

The other main thing that happens is that people bring up a topic and then get clobbered because there is already a thread about that particular subject and a link is posted to a three-year old thread. Blink

It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't thing around here.

I have enjoyed some of the old threads that I missed when they started. I don't understand why some people get in such a twist over it. Seems that if you have already read something and aren't interested - just don't read it.

If you find something that interests you it may well be of interest to someone else who didn't catch the first run.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
20-12-2014, 08:19 AM
(20-12-2014 05:59 AM)gofish! Wrote:  Well that was my post that attracted the troll.
Thus is exposed the idiocy of this troll's logic...

So, of course, I had to trundle off to discover the identity of this troll of which you speak.

Yeah! KC is a total loony fundie.

You can tell just from his rep count that he's got his head up his arse and even though he's been on the forum for years, he's not made the slightest significant contribution.

Idiot troll is exactly right.

Angel

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
20-12-2014, 09:15 AM
(20-12-2014 08:19 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(20-12-2014 05:59 AM)gofish! Wrote:  Well that was my post that attracted the troll.
Thus is exposed the idiocy of this troll's logic...

So, of course, I had to trundle off to discover the identity of this troll of which you speak.

Yeah! KC is a total loony fundie.

You can tell just from his rep count that he's got his head up his arse and even though he's been on the forum for years, he's not made the slightest significant contribution.

Idiot troll is exactly right.

Angel

[Image: 21m6ziv.jpg]

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
20-12-2014, 09:21 AM
(20-12-2014 07:15 AM)Anjele Wrote:  There seems to be two responses to necroposting around here...one response is bitching about the old thread being brought back life no matter the subject matter.

The other main thing that happens is that people bring up a topic and then get clobbered because there is already a thread about that particular subject and a link is posted to a three-year old thread. Blink

It's a damned if you and damned if you don't thing around here.

I have enjoyed some of the old threads that I missed when they started. I don't understand why some people get in such a twist over it. Seems that if you have already read something and aren't interested - just don't read it.

If you find something that interests you it may well be of interest to someone else who didn't catch the first run.

^^^^^^^^^^^

This nails it, it is the paradigm that exists in most forums. New post, ...sigh, THAT has already been beaten to death (with link provided), necro an old post OMG this old post again?

It reminds me of gaming online, which I stopped doing a couple years ago once I figured out it was a colossal waste of my neurons arguing with 12 yos....if you are a low level character...NOOB! if you are a high level character NO LIFE!

My son got me into a game called runescape, which I havent touched in forever...I actually logged in just to make sure my account (Lord Krohn)still existed sometime last year then logged back out....almost maxed on every possible stat, hundreds of millions of GP and exp, and thousands of wasted hours and 9+ years of playing off and on of my life that I just walked away from..meh

I have always hated chat, and played that game with all chat off except for my TSG (the slayers guild) group I belonged too...and realised finally what am I doing? The point is the interaction with others, not grinding away working on levels, if you dont want to interact, why play? and I walked away.

These foolish online paradigms exist, and will never go away..

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
20-12-2014, 09:34 AM
It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside when someone I really respect agrees with one of my posts. Big Grin

Thanks gwg.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
20-12-2014, 09:41 AM
(20-12-2014 09:34 AM)Anjele Wrote:  It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside when someone I really respect agrees with one of my posts. Big Grin

Thanks gwg.

I likewise hold you in the highest regard and always enjoy reading your insightful posts.

Yes

[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post