Premeditated Sin?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2014, 02:27 AM
Premeditated Sin?
Has anyone else ever heard of this? I remember a while back when I was a Christian I was in a study group in church and we were talking about sin. One person said there is premeditated sin, where you plan that you are going to sin, but you know you can just pray for forgiveness later.

Is it just me, or are some people just making stuff up as they go along? Because now I realize how ridiculous it all sounds.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like 89JeepYJ's post
04-04-2014, 03:01 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2014 03:17 AM by Dee.)
RE: Premeditated Sin?
Your question brings to mind the once and long ago famous hell-fire and brimstone TV evangelist, Jimmy Swaggart and his "fall from grace."

There have of course been many others, but Swaggart stands out in my mind the most because of his particular televised confession.

Swaggart frequently bought prostitutes, and one day he was caught.

Well he didn't simply fall one time: he fell and fell and fell and was finally caught and presented to his viewing audience.

At the time and still, I believe this man premeditated his "sin," knowing his God would fully forgive him after each and every time. I believe when he called his "sin" an addiction it provided justification for multiple returns to his "sin" and to God for forgiveness.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
04-04-2014, 03:05 AM
(04-04-2014 02:27 AM)89JeepYJ Wrote:  Has anyone else ever heard of this? I remember a while back when I was a Christian I was in a study group in church and we were talking about sin. One person said there is premeditated sin, where you plan that you are going to sin, but you know you can just pray for forgiveness later.

Is it just me, or are some people just making stuff up as they go along? Because now I realize how ridiculous it all sounds.

This mentality automatically removes the "moral high ground" argument fundie Christians like to hoist themselves around on.

You can break practically any rule and get away with it so long as you play your "get out of jail free" card. This means that ALL the moral rules are essentially meaningless since they ultimately no longer hold any purpose to following.

[Image: giphy.gif]
04-04-2014, 03:16 AM
(04-04-2014 02:27 AM)89JeepYJ Wrote:  Has anyone else ever heard of this? I remember a while back when I was a Christian I was in a study group in church and we were talking about sin. One person said there is premeditated sin, where you plan that you are going to sin, but you know you can just pray for forgiveness later.

Premeditated 'sin' is an indication that the perpetrator is either skeptical about his theism or views it as an insurance policy.
[+] 1 user Likes mknight's post
04-04-2014, 03:19 AM
Seems to be criminal type behavior.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
04-04-2014, 06:12 AM

It's a natural extension of the weird morality presented by salvation by grace alone. I made a thread on this a while ago (The Christian God incentivizes the wrong things). The idea is that it's more important that you accept Jesus as your savior than that you don't sin. This is evidenced by the fact that the only criteria checked for admittance to heaven is whether or not you accepted Jesus as your lord and savior and that you can get pardoned for your sins an unlimited number of times by simply asking once you've accepted. Now, there are splits among Christians as to what repentance means and whether or not you can get into heaven if you've sinned since you last repented (holy shit! No one would get in! This is what I was taught as a kid, by the way).

So, the long and the short of it is what you mentioned is simply a logical extension of the belief that saying the proper magic words are actually more important than whether or not you're hurting real people. Given a that belief as your base, you could totally come up with an ethical framework where you sin all you want and then say a magical invocation to absolve yourself from any responsibility. The Bible doesn't specifically say that you can't game the system to get in; it just sets up a very nonsensical, morally bankrupt system and leaves the rest to us.

On a side note, one of Luther's exceptions to the Catholic church 500+ years ago was the sales of indulgences. This was basically the same thing. You could pay the church money to be absolved for sins you had yet to commit. So, this idea isn't particularly new.

(04-04-2014 02:27 AM)89JeepYJ Wrote:  Is it just me, or are some people just making stuff up as they go along? Because now I realize how ridiculous it all sounds.

Well, yes. Pretty much any stance a person takes that isn't specifically in the Bible is them making something up to make some part of their religion more palatable. This is how all apologetics work.
04-04-2014, 06:27 AM
(04-04-2014 03:19 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Seems to be criminal type behavior.

Just what I was thinking.

Sounds like some whining cunt, cought commiting a crime giving some poor, selfserving and pathetic excuses.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
04-04-2014, 11:15 AM

Pro tip: It's all made-up shit. All of it. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
04-04-2014, 11:16 AM

Very common among catholics. They take the stance of "well I can just go to confession later". I took a trip to Rome with my wife and her family and they did thing to get indulgences. My wife's BIL was like, OK I am good for a while. I found it really odd and did not participate even tho I had not come to grips with my non-beliefe yet. I still though the whole practice was silly. Why as a christian would you plan to do something you know you need to seek forgiveness for later?
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
04-04-2014, 12:42 PM

God premideditatedly (is that an actual word?) started the whold premeditated sin thing in the garden of Eden, that is if one believes in that whole silly story. If he hadn't stuck Adam and Eve next to that damn apple tree along with the snake, well....... the whole thing wouldn't have started.

Dumb-de-dumb.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.