Premeditated Sin?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2014, 12:51 PM
RE: Premeditated Sin?
(04-04-2014 11:16 AM)wazzel Wrote:  
(04-04-2014 02:27 AM)89JeepYJ Wrote:  Has anyone else ever heard of this? I remember a while back when I was a Christian I was in a study group in church and we were talking about sin. One person said there is premeditated sin, where you plan that you are going to sin, but you know you can just pray for forgiveness later.

Is it just me, or are some people just making stuff up as they go along? Because now I realize how ridiculous it all sounds.

Very common among catholics. They take the stance of "well I can just go to confession later". I took a trip to Rome with my wife and her family and they did thing to get indulgences. My wife's BIL was like, OK I am good for a while. I found it really odd and did not participate even tho I had not come to grips with my non-beliefe yet. I still though the whole practice was silly. Why as a christian would you plan to do something you know you need to seek forgiveness for later?

And, if memory serves, as a Catholic thinking about committing a sin is as bad as actually committing a sin. At least that's what I was taught growing up. So even a young kid that thinks about taking a piece of candy he's been told not to is a venial sin...or sin lite. But, it would still require mention during confession.

Thought control at it's finest. As soon as a 'bad' thought enters your mind...you have sinned against god. Doesn't really matter if you decide against actually doing what you were thinking about.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2014, 12:59 PM
(04-04-2014 12:51 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(04-04-2014 11:16 AM)wazzel Wrote:  Very common among catholics. They take the stance of "well I can just go to confession later". I took a trip to Rome with my wife and her family and they did thing to get indulgences. My wife's BIL was like, OK I am good for a while. I found it really odd and did not participate even tho I had not come to grips with my non-beliefe yet. I still though the whole practice was silly. Why as a christian would you plan to do something you know you need to seek forgiveness for later?

And, if memory serves, as a Catholic thinking about committing a sin is as bad as actually committing a sin. At least that's what I was taught growing up. So even a young kid that thinks about taking a piece of candy he's been told not to is a venial sin...or sin lite. But, it would still require mention during confession.

Thought control at it's finest. As soon as a 'bad' thought enters your mind...you have sinned against god. Doesn't really matter if you decide against actually doing what you were thinking about.

As far as I can remember that would be correct.
04-04-2014, 01:37 PM
(04-04-2014 12:51 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(04-04-2014 11:16 AM)wazzel Wrote:  Very common among catholics. They take the stance of "well I can just go to confession later". I took a trip to Rome with my wife and her family and they did thing to get indulgences. My wife's BIL was like, OK I am good for a while. I found it really odd and did not participate even tho I had not come to grips with my non-beliefe yet. I still though the whole practice was silly. Why as a christian would you plan to do something you know you need to seek forgiveness for later?

Religion is seriously fucked up.

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Blackhand293's post
04-04-2014, 01:39 PM
(04-04-2014 01:37 PM)Blackhand293 Wrote:  
(04-04-2014 12:51 PM)Anjele Wrote:  And, if memory serves, as a Catholic thinking about committing a sin is as bad as actually committing a sin. At least that's what I was taught growing up. So even a young kid that thinks about taking a piece of candy he's been told not to is a venial sin...or sin lite. But, it would still require mention during confession.

Agreed. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
05-04-2014, 01:49 AM
(04-04-2014 11:15 AM)Chas Wrote:  Pro tip: It's all made-up shit. All of it. Drinking Beverage

Ah yes you're right. They're basically sinning against a God that doesn't exist. But at the time I thought the whole "premeditated sin" sounded silly. Heck, religion sounds silly to me now.
05-04-2014, 12:22 PM
This reminds me of Dante. One of the guys in hell was there because he did his confession prior to doing the sin. For forgiveness one needs to be contrite. If you do the sin anyway, you're not really contrite.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
[+] 1 user Likes TarzanSmith's post
05-04-2014, 12:23 PM
(04-04-2014 01:37 PM)Blackhand293 Wrote:  
(04-04-2014 12:51 PM)Anjele Wrote:  And, if memory serves, as a Catholic thinking about committing a sin is as bad as actually committing a sin. At least that's what I was taught growing up. So even a young kid that thinks about taking a piece of candy he's been told not to is a venial sin...or sin lite. But, it would still require mention during confession.

Well conspiracy to commit murder is also a crime as I recall.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc