Prenatal genetic testing.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Prenatal genetic testing.
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/06/0...p=trending

There are 2 very different approaches to this. You either test your conceived child and abort if it's undesirable or predetermine your child's genes so that they are born exactly how you want them (think GATTACA). Do you think this is the way of the future and if so, is it a good thing? Shouldn't we take advantage of the opportunity to produce genetically superior offspring? I'm in favor of a GATTACA style process as long as it doesn't create the same kind of discrimination displayed in the movie. I don't really have an opinion regarding repeated abortion of non-ideal children. I'm pro-choice but can certainly understand the moral opposition to that process.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2012, 10:56 AM
RE: Prenatal genetic testing.
I would be all for genetically superior offspring. I wouldn't abort a non-ideal child, well, unless it was going to be born without a brain... but, I wouldn't stop others from doing it if they wanted to. Who am I to tell them not to?

[Image: opforum1.png]
08-06-2012, 11:25 AM
It's super interesting, that's for sure!

But I think this thought is one dimensional. There are many benefits I've received from interacting with people who probably would be low on the genetic preference list for whatever reason. There are many hidden talents or perceptions with all kinds of people and ultimately I think we'd be missing out if we lessened these things.

I have someone very close to me that has bipolar and if this person had been genetically modified from the beginning to not have bipolar they probably would have an easier life- who likes being so depressed they can't function or gone manic that they put themselves or loved ones in danger? But on the other hand this disorder is so much a part of this person's fabrication and personality that I don't think they'd be the same person they are today and who knows what kind of relationship I would or wouldn't have because of this. Some of the things I LOVE are attributed to this disorder, and some of their success, too! Someone who is manic personality combined with being slightly eccentric can come up with BRILLIANT ideas. Ex Jim Carey and Robin Williams both have bipolar and you can see it in their performance, it's them.

The struggles with handicaps, emotions, lack of intelligence... I don't mean to sound cheesy but there are positive things about these and beneficial too. An OCD boy who is obsessed with cats and saves them or places them in homes or whatever can be seen as a benefit, or the lady who is blind but for some reason can paint the most beautiful pictures- that's pretty amazing and unique in it's own way. Is the suffering an acceptable payoff? I don't know.
08-06-2012, 11:39 AM
Devil's work. Evil_monster

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Oddly enough, I wrote an exam about this topic on wednesday (religion exam). I argued pro this method, because it prevents a life full of suffering for both the child and the parents (our example was a child that would've been born with a devastating disease).

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
08-06-2012, 02:46 PM
It would be a lucrative business, I am all for it.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
08-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Don't prevent shit. How do you know "quality of life?" Y'all evil. All there is to it. Can't be coming here to this den of iniquity no morez. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
08-06-2012, 04:26 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2012 04:33 PM by kim.)
Anencephaly and horrific genetic diseases aside, I don't see anything wrong with the current random selection of our future as a species. It's good to know that "beauty" will probably always be in the eye of the beholder.

Tonight, suppose twenty people get laid and find themselves pregnant - I'm betting more than twenty since it's a Friday night. Here we go... What if: they were to test those zygotes in the weeks to come, only to find out these progeny may all have varying degrees of anxiety disorders. The women might then be presented with options to either care for, adopt out to public expense, or abort the future disfunction of America. Simple and/or tough; big decisions are made every day. One makes a decision and plows on without looking back because well, now is never the time for hindsight.

Huge... What if: the above zygotes also happened to have a (currently unknown) genetic mutation which, through research could essentially produce a vaccine to prevent Alzheimer's disease? It begs the question; if you knew then, what you know now, would you have ____________? Hindsight can at times be crystal clear.

Though it sorts itself out with adequate interaction of humans, we only ever truly see evolution far away... in the rearview mirror. Intentionally screwing with it so closely, could adversely effect a significant trajectory.

Fuck hindsight but also, fuck you if you don't like ugly people. Hobo

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post