Preparing to move house

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2015, 07:22 AM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2015 07:30 AM by Hafnof.)
RE: Preparing to move house
We are a little too far south to be hit by hurricanes or cyclones but most houses in this area have traditionally been "high set" to make the most of breezes and natural airflow in a subtropical environment. The most traditional homes form a distinct Queenlander[1] style of architecture. These buildings typically have large verandah areas often wrapping around the entire perimeter of the house. Houses are raised on stumps and the downstairs was not originally intended as livable space. Depending on location it may be subject to flooding and certainly needs to defend and be defended against termite attack.

Building in downstairs is common these days but may require raising the whole building to a legal height, putting in significant drainage works, replacing any existing non-structural downstairs concrete slab, and putting both physical and chemical termite barriers in place.

Our current place is subject to "overland flooding" which means that although it is nowhere near creeks or rivers it is at the base of a small hill and storm water tends to be funnel through our property from further up. It's hard to conceive of how much water can fall from the sky in 20 minutes if you haven't experienced monsoon rain before. The year we moved into this house the rain came down hard enough to blow the manhole cover on our street repeatedly into the air as water and air pistoned their way through the storm water drainage system.

There will be periods where it might rain like this this every afternoon for a week or two (well, not quite as bad as this video, but 60% as bad).

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queenslande...tecture%29

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
11-02-2015, 08:42 AM
holy shit thats a lot of rain

[Image: shocked-monkey.jpg]

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
14-02-2015, 06:55 AM
We had our first open house for the sale today and had some good interest shown. I think the deal may go through Smile

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
19-02-2015, 03:58 AM
The buyer for this place is doing building and pest inspection tomorrow.

Meanwhile a category 5 cyclone is about to make landfall and is due to dump 30-50cm of rain on my place tomorrow.

[Image: 1424335378865.jpg]

[Image: 1424337257659.jpg]

19-02-2015, 11:17 AM
oooo. thats not good. hang on tight.

20-02-2015, 09:51 PM
Building and pest inspections passed, excepting for one window that needs glass replaced. One week until the sale contract goes unconditional. Proposed settlement on both transactions is Monday March 16.

We nipped over to the new place during the rain and found some issues with water underneath the house. We may need to do some remediation works when we move in. The sale of our current place has fetched more than we thought it would so we have some breathing room.

[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
21-02-2015, 06:51 AM
Am I missing something?

You had a cat 5 cyclone and you went over to the new house and found a couple issues.

the last cat 5 in the US was Katrina and it devestated a city/region.

cyclones and hurricanes are the same thing, right?

I am thrilled you came thru the storm without any problems but I am left wondering why you arent in a disaster zone.

I'm very confused. What am I missing?

21-02-2015, 07:45 AM
(21-02-2015 06:51 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Am I missing something?

You had a cat 5 cyclone and you went over to the new house and found a couple issues.

the last cat 5 in the US was Katrina and it devestated a city/region.

cyclones and hurricanes are the same thing, right?

I am thrilled you came thru the storm without any problems but I am left wondering why you arent in a disaster zone.

I'm very confused. What am I missing?

It's because Australia is so much more objectively baddass. Drinking Beverage

After it made landfall, it realised it's mistake, it began to waver in it's effort and was soon nothing more than a mere cat 1.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
21-02-2015, 09:20 AM
It was a weird one. It hit Yepoon and Rochampton fairly hard. Landfall was about 680km/420miles north of my location. The bureau of meteorology predicted it would only be category 4 at landfall but it rapidly spun up to category 5 on approach to land and spooked a lot of people. It was then predicted to remain category 3 for much of the distance from Yepoon to Brisbane and then possibly arrive in Brisbane still a category 1. It ended up fizzling down to a category 1 before it hit Bundaberg and then was downgraded to a tropical low pressure system well before arriving here.

Yepoon and Rockhampton:
[Image: 1424417143863.jpg]
[Image: 1424409700846.jpg]

I gather that in the case of Katrina the damage was so extensive because the city was essentially below sea level and that the sea defences were breached by the storm and the storm surge.

We experienced a storm surge along the waterfront and significant creek flooding that cut most of the roads in and out of my district, but mostly it was just a few rainy days. My yard flooded due to storm water runoff from up the hill. Unclogging the drains was enough to clear that on the first day but when the storm that used to be TC Marcia arrived it flooded even with the drains all working well. Once it passed things drained out pretty well. Today I had to drive through some flood water to buy a present for my son's schoolfriend's birthday tomorrow but it had obviously gone down a long way and was passable by a standard two wheel drive. One of the main roads near my house was underwater and all of the local sportsfields as well as many local parks had become impromptu swimming pools.

Officials here are a little skittish about storms hitting Brisbane these days after a few years ago the CBD itself went underwater after excessive rains forced the main dam to release its water[1].

Further reading and images:
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensla...3kgzm.html
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nat...7227798977
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-20/cy...nd/6163626

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%...and_floods

[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
27-02-2015, 10:18 PM
Our sale is theoretically unconditional today. We still have a surveyer coming around Monday to the new place to see if it actually fits within the lot boundaries, but however that turns out I think the sale is a go.

[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post