President Bush's speech today

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2017, 09:18 AM
RE: President Bush's speech today
We have Trump because of Bush and Obama. Republicans had their chance at another Bush (Jeb) and we thoroughly rejected him. We do not care what ANY swamp creature, especially a Bush has to say.

People better wake up. The Republican National Committee just pulled in 10.4 million in September, bringing their total to 100 million in only 9 months, a fundraising record in a non president election year. Mostly small donations as well. And Trump has already raised 25 million towards his reelection, a record for this early into a presidential term.

Trump could hit $125 million + towards his reelection before the democrats even know who their candidate is.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2017, 09:24 AM
I'm refuse to waiver on my distaste for either the Republicans or Democrats no matter how bad it gets. I'll probably support the Transhumanist candidate again because #techvote

'Murican Canadian
20-10-2017, 03:11 PM
George W. Bush's presidency was a daily disaster, every moment he was in office made America weaker. Of course anytime anyone (especially on the Right) speaks out against racism it is a positive thing. Bush was not racist or anti-immigrant and his rhetoric about co-existing with Muslims was much better than Trump's stances.

But I don't miss 43's administration and its quotidian sabotage of the country, Trump is the direct legacy of Bush. The destructive effects of climate change we already see today, the American public's pathetic fear of foreigners and obsessive panic over terrorism, his public trumpeting of Christianity in the public life, the crushing debt and economic effects of his eight years are all felt today and helped breed Trumpism. His crusading abroad helped feed the sense that the American people at home were being left out to dry, and they were, and that led to the "America First" cover for the nativist racism Bush is now trying to condemn.

What really bothers him is that he or one of his neocon cabal aren't in power doing most of what Trump is doing.

O, mia patria, sì bella e perduta
20-10-2017, 06:10 PM
(19-10-2017 09:22 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(19-10-2017 08:32 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  Not to get too far off topic by digging into 19th century shitty presidents rather than focusing on modern shitty presidents...but James Buchanan, hmmm. Definitely near the top of the shit list, but hard to see how he could have prevented the Civil War. The south seceded after Lincoln's election, so we're talking very end of his term anyway. Could he have done anything prior to secession to soothe sectional problems and keep the South in the fold? By hook or by crook, by stick or by carrot? Shitty president in general, though, I'm with you.

A generation before there was actually higher tensions but great men came together and came up with a compromise that would save the Union. Buchanan however let everything fester to the point that succession was all but inevitable. His inaction was as close to treason as any president has ever come, well provided that Trump did not knowingly collude with a foreign power to gain the presidency. There is a reason Buchanan is always dead last on any list of Presidents.

I get that a lot of smart people make lists and Buchanan's dead last, I just want to think something because I think it closest to correct. Tensions probably weren't higher a generation before the mid to late 1850s. That was high-water mark sectional shitstorm. Earlier tensions could be compromised because they weren't as heated, and anyway they were compromised by Congressional "superstars," not the president. Who can name the president in 1820, 1850, or 1854, the years of the last major compromise legislation? You could argue that the presidency of Buchanan was saddled by the worst ever congressional performance, but hard to see what he could do besides bring about the war a bit earlier than when it actually occurred. Still a top five shit-lister for being a do-nothing in the face of disaster, but a dynamic executive (non-wartime) wasn't even a thing until...? Teddy Roosevelt? FDR?