President Donald Trump

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2017, 01:33 PM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2017 01:43 PM by annie123.)
RE: President Donald Trump
(22-01-2017 01:15 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Well welcome anyway. I do believe things like reproductive rights, civil liberties, access to healthcare, rights of gays to marry, should be protected. I do support medicare, because how we deal with the very young and the elderly defines what we as a society hold as important -- just as our treatment of disabled persons. Those issues shouldn't be left for individual states to decide, since it causes problems when people move to those states and many states seem to value different portions of their population.

So tell us how do you feel about Trump's cabinet picks thus far? Assuming you are an atheist as you claim, aren't you a little concerned in the least about his pick for education secretary? Does it concern you at all that she feels teachers are overpaid, and feels that evolution isn't exactly fact? Does it bother you that only choices secular parents might have for education for their children, a christian charter school (receiving tax dollars) or a grossly underfunded public school? Of course there is the homeschool route but finding curriculums various states accept, that aren't religious is actually really hard (because the majority of home-schooled kids are from deeply religious homes and parents worry about the world's influence on their children). Still the homeschool route seems to only work if one parent can stay home to teach their children.

How do you feel about his pick for attorney general? He seems to have issues with non-believers...So if he allows enforcement of laws that do unfairly favor christians, you'll be fine with that?

Or are you more the type to remain quiet about those things, talk loudly about how great everything will be and not dare speak out?

Do you believe that human activity is affecting climate change on global scale? His cabinet pick thinks it's a hoax.

Do you think that vaccines cause autism? His cabinet pick thinks it's true.

LDH seems to remain quiet when these questions come up, instead just praises Trump.

Yet Trump allegedly picked these people to be his cabinet and advice him...

If you only surround yourself if people who don't seem to understand how science works, how can you expect to make decisions where science is needed?

First of all, I am sort of a scientist ( licensed engineer) , so there is no need to talk down to me.

To answer some of your questions, since you asked: I would think natural selection would be something atheists believe in. If that is the case, why do you need things such as Medicare/caid? This is more of a catholic/Jesus thing, isn't it? Provide for the poor and disabled? I disagree with this concept. I believe everyone needs to fend for themselves and I don't really want to pay for other people's healthcare, or expect them to pay for mine.

Global warming: (I am actually an environmental engineer so I have studied things like air pollution in detail). There is no true scientific proof the earth is warming because of man made CO2 emissions. I believe it is a political move of the left to try and steal more money from the U.S. and give it to third world countries. The real polluters are other countries, like China and India. CO2 is not a pollutant, it is a necessary gas without which all life on earth would die and a very small increase of it ( or decrease) is not going to affect the weather. The earth warms and cools naturally ( look up the small ice age) and scientists don't know exactly why. The theories are that the output of the sun fluctuates, the earth rotation is not 100% consistent and things like volcanoes change climate. So , I do not believe the U.S. is responsible to pay for any sort of man made climate change. I support the U.S getting out of the UN for that reason and others.

I support the second Amendment , you should, especially as an atheist, be allowed to defend yourself ( and doesn't it say in the Bible that you should turn the other cheek and not fight back?)

I do not support stealing from some and giving to others ( welfare of any kind) , which again goes back to natural selection. Giving to the poor is a RELIGIOUS thing, not an atheist thing imo and one of the reasons I never was a good Christian. I didn't enjoy giving money away

As for Christian politicians: I would rather have them, than the head middle east terrorist we've had for the past 8 years...the lesser evil by far..

I hope this answered some of your questions

oh wait one more answer: religion in schools. I believe sending your kids to a Christian school is the fastest way for them to become atheists...we sent both of ours to a Lutheran school at first ( I used to be very much a Bible thumping fundamentalist, sorry...:blushSmile and both of them did not like it there, and are now definitely not Christians. One is an atheist, one agnostic of sorts. And what's funny is almost all the other kids that were in their classes and kept in touch are not either! One of the friends my daughter had at the Christian school is now a stripper and a devil worshiper, one had a sex change. Notice how many atheists come from Catholic schools? So I am not worried
my father is and always has been an atheist, my mother doesn't care either way, and yet I turned into a fundamentalist Christian at one point .
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2017, 01:36 PM
(22-01-2017 01:29 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(22-01-2017 01:15 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Well welcome anyway. I do believe things like reproductive rights, civil liberties, access to healthcare, rights of gays to marry, should be protected. I do support medicare, because how we deal with the very young and the elderly defines what we as a society hold as important -- just as our treatment of disabled persons. Those issues shouldn't be left for individual states to decide, since it causes problems when people move to those states and many states seem to value different portions of their population.

So tell us how do you feel about Trump's cabinet picks thus far? Assuming you are an atheist as you claim, aren't you a little concerned in the least about his pick for education secretary? Does it concern you at all that she feels teachers are overpaid, and feels that evolution isn't exactly fact? Does it bother you that only choices secular parents might have for education for their children, a christian charter school (receiving tax dollars) or a grossly underfunded public school? Of course there is the homeschool route but finding curriculums various states accept, that aren't religious is actually really hard (because the majority of home-schooled kids are from deeply religious homes and parents worry about the world's influence on their children). Still the homeschool route seems to only work if one parent can stay home to teach their children.

How do you feel about his pick for attorney general? He seems to have issues with non-believers...So if he allows enforcement of laws that do unfairly favor christians, you'll be fine with that?

Or are you more the type to remain quiet about those things, talk loudly about how great everything will be and not dare speak out?

Do you believe that human activity is affecting climate change on global scale? His cabinet pick thinks it's a hoax.

LDH seems to remain quiet when these questions come up, instead just praises Trump.

If you only surround yourself if people who don't seem to understand how science works, how can you expect to make decisions where science is needed?

I have an issue with a few of the Cabinet picks, namely the two you point out. And Carson as HUD director? He would have been better as the head of the VA. I would have preferred Chris Christie for AG. And his Secretary of State has left me scratching my head, honestly.

Thank you LDH. I appreciate this. If you have said it before in other threads, I'm sorry I missed it.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

22-01-2017, 01:36 PM
(22-01-2017 01:29 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  [...] But I will say that the picture floating around with the mall sparsely populated was taken very early in the proceedings. I have seen other photos that show it pretty full during the time Trump was being sworn in.

Could you please post a link to these images you saw that show a much larger crowd. The only comparative images I've seen thus far are those two posted here earlier, or currently on other tweets.

Consider

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
22-01-2017, 01:44 PM
(22-01-2017 01:33 PM)annie123 Wrote:  

First of all, I am sort of a scientist ( licensed engineer) , so there is no need to talk down to me.

To answer some of your questions, since you asked: I would think natural selection would be something atheists believe in. If that is the case, why do you need things such as Medicare/caid? This is more of a catholic/Jesus thing, isn't it? Provide for the poor and disabled? I disagree with this concept. I believe everyone needs to fend for themselves and I don't really want to pay for other people's healthcare, or expect them to pay for mine.

Global warming: (I am actually an environmental engineer so I have studied things like air pollution in detail). There is no true scientific proof the earth is warming because of man made CO2 emissions. I believe it is a political move of the left to try and steal more money from the U.S. and give it to third world countries. The real polluters are other countries, like China and India. CO2 is not a pollutant, it is a necessary gas without which all life on earth would die and a very small increase of it ( or decrease) is not going to affect the weather. The earth warms and cools naturally ( look up the small ice age) and scientists don't know exactly why. The theories are that the output of the sun fluctuates, the earth rotation is not 100% consistent and things like volcanoes change climate. So , I do not believe the U.S. is responsible to pay for any sort of man made climate change. I support the U.S getting out of the UN for that reason and others.

I support the second Amendment , you should, especially as an atheist, be allowed to defend yourself ( and doesn't it say in the Bible that you should turn the other cheek and not fight back?)

I do not support stealing from some and giving to others ( welfare of any kind) , which again goes back to natural selection. Giving to the poor is a RELIGIOUS thing, not an atheist thing imo and one of the reasons I never was a good Christian. I didn't enjoy giving money away

As for Christian politicians: I would rather have them, than the head middle east terrorist we've had for the past 8 years...the lesser evil by far..

The way you just assert there's some point to x topic based on association.

I mean if you think natural selection means social darwinism which it doesnt, maybe you'd be valid but even as species go on, unless you belief we are automotons without freewill and the brain already is dictated by experience without choice influence, you would seemingly know natural selection is a element you can have effort in for groups, as its not individual vs individual all objectivist for ones good but for the species aid... and species generally are aided all around by care of those up and down the group. Packs do still take care if eachother, it's not all to protect those at top. And protecting a stable living environment is not a help.

You don't come across as thinking things out other than swift in/out boxing in which leads to a non respectful tone coming back.

If you're in an environmental field. Why do you think 90 % plus of scientists in your field are within a lie or phony claim? Sorry to say you come off as a person living in irrational fears in your final paragraphs.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 5 users Like ClydeLee's post
(22-01-2017 01:36 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(22-01-2017 01:29 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  [...] But I will say that the picture floating around with the mall sparsely populated was taken very early in the proceedings. I have seen other photos that show it pretty full during the time Trump was being sworn in.

Could you please post a link to these images you saw that show a much larger crowd. The only comparative images I've seen thus far are those two posted here earlier, or currently on other tweets.

Consider

I made a thread with the link.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Lord Dark Helmet's post
(22-01-2017 01:24 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(22-01-2017 12:36 PM)annie123 Wrote:  Sounds to me like most atheists are liberals? That's too bad.

Considering that a significant percentage of conservatives (at least by the US definition of the word, which equates to "ultra-right wing wacko" for most of the rest of the world) are theocrats and/or anti-science -- including the current Vice President and a good percentage of Trump's cabinet -- I wonder how any atheist can not be liberal.

I find it interesting that the religious right and the Muslim right have some of the same attitudes towards prayer in school, gay rights and pretty much all of women's rights. They have so much in common.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
22-01-2017, 01:48 PM

I don't really give a shit about your education level, and your grand appeal to authority doesn't fly with me, since you seem to be a little confused. I mean you do understand evolution by natural selection and social darwinism (what you repeatedly outlined) are two different things right? You seem to have lumped them together in one big handbasket.

Thanks for your answers -- such as they are.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
22-01-2017, 01:51 PM
(22-01-2017 01:44 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(22-01-2017 01:24 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Considering that a significant percentage of conservatives (at least by the US definition of the word, which equates to "ultra-right wing wacko" for most of the rest of the world) are theocrats and/or anti-science -- including the current Vice President and a good percentage of Trump's cabinet -- I wonder how any atheist can not be liberal.

I find it interesting that the religious right and the Muslim right have some of the same attitudes towards prayer in school, gay rights and pretty much all of women's rights. They have so much in common.

Why their attitude should be any different? It's just name of a space daddy and eating habits that separate them.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
22-01-2017, 01:53 PM

Oh man, where to even begin.

1. Climate Change is real, you say you are a scientist but you reject the science that is so painfully obvious.

2. I respect the 2nd Amendment too but why should Atheist "especially" be allowed to defend themselves?

3. Do you even know what Natural Selection is? You are supposed to be a scientist right?

4. Helping someone isn't a religious thing, it's a Moral thing. I don't have to be a Christian to know it's good to help someone in need. If you need to believe in something to tell you that then you have issues.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 6 users Like JDog554's post
22-01-2017, 01:59 PM
(22-01-2017 01:53 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(22-01-2017 01:33 PM)annie123 Wrote:  First of all, I am sort of a scientist ( licensed engineer) , so there is no need to talk down to me.

Oh man, where to even begin.

1. Climate Change is real, you say you are a scientist but you reject the science that is so painfully obvious.

2. I respect the 2nd Amendment too but why should Atheist "especially" be allowed to defend themselves?

3. Do you even know what Natural Selection is? You are supposed to be a scientist right?

4. Helping someone isn't a religious thing, it's a Moral thing. I don't have to be a Christian to know it's good to help someone in need. If you need to believe in something to tell you that then you have issues.

RE: #4, she's like an atheist version of the Christians (e.g., Tomasia) who keep trying to tell us that you can't have morality without religion. Most atheists would beg to differ.
[+] 4 users Like Grasshopper's post