President Donald Trump

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2017, 02:23 PM
RE: President Donald Trump
(22-01-2017 02:19 PM)annie123 Wrote:  You know what's funny? When I was a Christian and voiced my opinion about the poor and old and sick and how I didn't want to pay for them and couldn't honestly say I cared , they blasted me as a horrible person and not a Christian at all. Now I say this here , assuming at least maybe atheists would agree with me, and I get the same treatment. Weird...

One conclusion you might draw from that is that empathy for those less fortunate is a human characteristic, not a Christian one. Atheism does not require one to shed one's humanity and become a monster.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Grasshopper's post
22-01-2017, 02:24 PM
(22-01-2017 02:19 PM)annie123 Wrote:  You know what's funny? When I was a Christian and voiced my opinion about the poor and old and sick and how I didn't want to pay for them and couldn't honestly say I cared , they blasted me as a horrible person and not a Christian at all. Now I say this here , assuming at least maybe atheists would agree with me, and I get the same treatment. Weird...

The common denominator here is you.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 8 users Like Loom's post
22-01-2017, 02:26 PM

That's because most atheists are what are called Secular Humanists, and even those that aren't typically have empathy for the suffering of fellow human beings (and by proxy most animals, as well). This feeling of empathy, or "feeling the pain of others" so to speak, is a normal part of any social animal.

Despite your claims to the contrary, it's actually quite common in social animals (of which humans have the most highly-developed social brains) to take care of those who are hurt, sick, etc. The only reason the animals can't do more than that is because they're literally not capable of doing so. If you increased their intelligence to a level that let them comprehend why Bobby Bonobo wasn't getting up, they would very likely do what they could to fix it, just as most humans do.

If you lack the ability to feel the pain of others, to empathize/sympathize, and to understand why it's important that we take care of one another, then you are very likely a sociopath-- in other words, your sense of empathy did not develop as it did in normal humans.

TL; dr = It's not a Christian or atheist thing, or even a uniquely human thing. It's just you (and between 1% and 4% of the population, depending on whom you ask).

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 7 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
22-01-2017, 02:28 PM
(22-01-2017 01:33 PM)annie123 Wrote:  To answer some of your questions, since you asked: I would think natural selection would be something atheists believe in. If that is the case, why do you need things such as Medicare/caid?

Caring for those ALREADY alive who are ill and old has NOTHING to do with natural selection.

Quote:I believe everyone needs to fend for themselves and I don't really want to pay for other people's healthcare, or expect them to pay for mine.

The ONLY reason healthcare is in the state it is today, is because resources were combined. You could not afford to pay for ANY of the major surgical procedures out of your own pocket. You have a few hundred thousand to a million to pay a heart surgeon ?

Quote:Global warming: (I am actually an environmental engineer so I have studied things like air pollution in detail).

I seriously doubt that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dio...atmosphere

Quote:I support the second Amendment , you should, especially as an atheist, be allowed to defend yourself ( and doesn't it say in the Bible that you should turn the other cheek and not fight back?)

The availability of guns in the US make the entire society unsafe.

Quote:I do not support stealing from some and giving to others ( welfare of any kind) , which again goes back to natural selection. Giving to the poor is a RELIGIOUS thing, not an atheist thing imo and one of the reasons I never was a good Christian. I didn't enjoy giving money away

Legal transfers of tax receipts is not "stealing"

Quote:As for Christian politicians: I would rather have them, than the head middle east terrorist we've had for the past 8 years...the lesser evil by far..

He IS a Christian, and you are a bigot.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 7 users Like Bucky Ball's post
22-01-2017, 02:29 PM
(22-01-2017 01:19 PM)annie123 Wrote:  
(22-01-2017 12:58 PM)DLJ Wrote:  To a Brit, Hillary Clinton is a Conservative.

Big GrinBig Grin that's funny!

I do try to add humour to these boring subjects but seriously tho'...

To a Brit, Clinton is like Thatcher without the charisma.

Yes

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
22-01-2017, 02:33 PM
(22-01-2017 02:22 PM)annie123 Wrote:  ...
But it isn't MY fault this happened to you! Why should I be held responsible for it? That's not fair punishing me for your bad luck!
You know, when I had these sort of arguments with Christians before in the past, I would tell them " well, blame God, he created this !" They really didn't want to hear that. Now you take it out on me also.

:Moms goes off to check whether the IP matches that one who supported Brock Turner:

Where's an emoji for that when you need one.

Dodgy

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
22-01-2017, 02:34 PM
Wow... I missed the part where she claimed President Obama was a "middle eastern terrorist".

That's either a Poe or a bigot.

Either way, I'm not wasting my time.

She even hit on the "liberals hate guns" canard. Rolleyes

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
22-01-2017, 02:35 PM
(22-01-2017 02:23 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  One conclusion you might draw from that is that empathy for those less fortunate is a human characteristic, not a Christian one. Atheism does not require one to shed one's humanity and become a monster.

So I am a monster now, just because I don't want to pay for someone else's healthcare and upkeep? Wow!

Honestly, I don't care for ( most) people and think there are way too many on the planet. I care about my family , friends and animals, but random strangers , not really. Just being honest here. I would pay for the healthcare of a friend, or even for the dog of a friend, but I would not pay for someone I don't even know. I don't even like most people and prefer the company of just a few, and my animals. Oh yeah, that's another thing my Christian friends hated about me, that I treat my dog like a family member. I suppose you think that is wrong also?

I don't care.
22-01-2017, 02:36 PM
(22-01-2017 02:28 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(22-01-2017 01:33 PM)annie123 Wrote:  I believe everyone needs to fend for themselves and I don't really want to pay for other people's healthcare, or expect them to pay for mine.

The ONLY reason healthcare is in the state it is today, is because resources were combined. You could not afford to pay for ANY of the major surgical procedures out of your own pocket. You have a few hundred thousand to a million to pay a heart surgeon ?

By her own logic, if she needed heart surgery, she should "just die". Life is only for those who are lucky enough to be young and healthy (or rich).
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
22-01-2017, 02:36 PM
(22-01-2017 02:34 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Wow... I missed the part where she claimed President Obama was a "middle eastern terrorist".

That's either a Poe or a bigot.

Either way, I'm not wasting my time.

She even hit on the "liberals hate guns" canard. Rolleyes

What's a POE?