President Trump: How The F**k Did It Happen?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
09-11-2016, 05:42 PM
RE: President Trump: How The F**k Did It Happen?
(09-11-2016 03:45 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(09-11-2016 03:04 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Oh yeah one more thing on the Canadian immigration thing. If you have so much as a pot related conviction or a DUI, forget it. You'll need a royal pardon first. And during your immigration interview, when they ask you if you've ever smoked or have any intention of smoking pot, say no. Honesty is not the best policy, they will bar your ass from entering the country.

Bolding mine. One can get a top secret clearance in the US if they haven't done it in the last 10 years. It used to be "have you ever", but after Billy Bob claimed he "didn't inhale", the standards were relaxed. Canada is that hard over? No offense, you guys, but it looks like your gov has a stick in its ass on some things. I don't indulge in pot, but I don't mind everybody else's business.

It's strange. Police in general don't seem to give a shit. Half the people I know here are potheads, from college students to correctional officers. However unenforced it might be, if you're immigrating here don't let them know. They probably smoke it too, but they're still gonna follow protocol as far as your application is concerned.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2016, 05:47 PM
(09-11-2016 03:51 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(09-11-2016 03:04 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Oh yeah one more thing on the Canadian immigration thing. If you have so much as a pot related conviction or a DUI, forget it. You'll need a royal pardon first. And during your immigration interview, when they ask you if you've ever smoked or have any intention of smoking pot, say no. Honesty is not the best policy, they will bar your ass from entering the country.

Any immigration info you can post would be helpful. I can't get on the site. I've been trying for two days.

What do you want to know? You generally either need a degree in critical demand, a job offer which your prospective employer can prove wasn't able to be filled by a Canadian, or a family relationship. In all of the above cases, you need a clean bill of health and absolutely no criminal record. If you have any sort of record, you basically need to request a royal pardon before you can continue with the process.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
09-11-2016, 05:50 PM
(09-11-2016 05:47 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(09-11-2016 03:51 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Any immigration info you can post would be helpful. I can't get on the site. I've been trying for two days.

What do you want to know? You generally either need a degree in critical demand, a job offer which your prospective employer can prove wasn't able to be filled by a Canadian, or a family relationship. In all of the above cases, you need a clean bill of health and absolutely no criminal record. If you have any sort of record, you basically need to request a royal pardon before you can continue with the process.

Thanks that's helpful Smile I also went to a random site and got some more info. What kind of careers are in critical demand there? Me and my bf are both healthy and no criminal record, so good there.
09-11-2016, 05:51 PM
(09-11-2016 05:47 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(09-11-2016 03:51 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Any immigration info you can post would be helpful. I can't get on the site. I've been trying for two days.

Don't I get special consideration or something if my mother was born there?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
09-11-2016, 06:03 PM
(09-11-2016 05:51 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-11-2016 05:47 PM)yakherder Wrote:  What do you want to know? You generally either need a degree in critical demand, a job offer which your prospective employer can prove wasn't able to be filled by a Canadian, or a family relationship. In all of the above cases, you need a clean bill of health and absolutely no criminal record. If you have any sort of record, you basically need to request a royal pardon before you can continue with the process.

Don't I get special consideration or something if my mother was born there?

If I remember correctly (if someone looks it up feel free to correct me)...

Only if she actually resides there and you are young enough to be a dependent. I think there may be a clause that goes the other way around, such as if she is old / sick and needs to be taken care of.

'Murican Canadian
09-11-2016, 06:07 PM
(09-11-2016 05:50 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(09-11-2016 05:47 PM)yakherder Wrote:  What do you want to know? You generally either need a degree in critical demand, a job offer which your prospective employer can prove wasn't able to be filled by a Canadian, or a family relationship. In all of the above cases, you need a clean bill of health and absolutely no criminal record. If you have any sort of record, you basically need to request a royal pardon before you can continue with the process.

Thanks that's helpful Smile I also went to a random site and got some more info. What kind of careers are in critical demand there? Me and my bf are both healthy and no criminal record, so good there.

Mostly technical degrees, such as various types of engineering or computer programming. For certain areas way up in bumfuck nowhere they sometimes need to fill isolated positions nobody else will fill and you can use that as a path to citizenship, after which you can move and find work elsewhere. There is a detailed, always changing list somewhere on the site of which degrees are in critical demand.

'Murican Canadian
09-11-2016, 06:12 PM
And if either one of you can immigrate through the above means, the other can use your relationship status with them for family based immigration. The downside to that is it takes like a year to process, during which time you can't work legally in Canada.

'Murican Canadian
09-11-2016, 06:14 PM
Do you know if it helps to have a job offer in place first?

I am looking at a job at a University - are they likely to hire Americans?
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
09-11-2016, 06:14 PM
In the detention centre where I work we've usually got at least a few Americans awaiting deportation Tongue

'Murican Canadian
09-11-2016, 06:17 PM
(09-11-2016 06:14 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Do you know if it helps to have a job offer in place first?

I am looking at a job at a University - are they likely to hire Americans?

It absolutely helps. Normally what happens is you inform your prospective employer of your status and your intentions, they leave the job posted long enough to prove their inability to fill the position locally, then with that evidence they give you a letter of invitation and agree to sponsor you.

Obviously for most non professional positions, that's not going to be an option. You need to be filling a position for which demand is greater than supply.

'Murican Canadian