President Trump: How The F**k Did It Happen?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
10-11-2016, 01:49 AM
RE: President Trump: How The F**k Did It Happen?
(10-11-2016 01:01 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-11-2016 12:48 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Insofar as immigration is concerned, Trump cannot just unilaterally deport people. However the amount and number of immigrants allowed is entirely under the purview of the POTUS, so he would be entirely within his power to stop all future Muslims from immigrating legally.
Would he be able to do that without any input from e.g. senate?

Yes, that particular law as written delegates that power to the President.

(10-11-2016 01:01 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-11-2016 12:48 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Ask for creating a few regiments of Stormtroopers to round up and deport a few millions people at gunpoint? Destroying thousands of families, and taking away the parents of American citizens? Well, that all depends on how crazy everyone else is willing to get.
It's been done before. And I think maybe not everyone, but *a lot* of people are quite willing to march into the abyss.

Yeah, but we're not that close. Yeah, Trump won, but by much closer margins than Obama did. And when it's all said and done, he might even have lost the popular vote, meaning he won by a fluke of the Electoral college. We're still not at Wiemar Germany levels of desperation here. While part of me see that as a legitimate concern, what I'm more concerned about is the balance of power and the erosion of checks and balances that will allow someone later who is worse than Trump to go even farther.

Plus that would be a huge commitment of manpower and resources. We simply do not have a police force that could do that now, even as militarized as they are. Plus our judicial system is already overburdened with petty drug crimes, and it too couldn't handle a few million deportation proceedings. Nor do we have the facilities in place to handle a few hundred thousand newly orphaned children whose parents just got deported.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2016, 02:26 AM
(10-11-2016 01:49 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Yeah, but we're not that close. Yeah, Trump won, but by much closer margins than Obama did. And when it's all said and done, he might even have lost the popular vote, meaning he won by a fluke of the Electoral college. We're still not at Wiemar Germany levels of desperation here. While part of me see that as a legitimate concern, what I'm more concerned about is the balance of power and the erosion of checks and balances that will allow someone later who is worse than Trump to go even farther.
I don't know if there's desperation, but Trump has *sold* his campaign on desperation and fear-mongering. It worked. I agree that it'll take some time for him to build up the muscle, but I think a combination of arrogance, incompetence, boorish lack of empathy and pandering to the incredibly-more-numerous-than-previously-thought far right might well push him to something drastic. He will be under pressure to show that he's "doing something", and if that *achieves* nothing, he will definitely find a few sacrificial victims to bear the blame for him. Someone worse than Trump is a scary thought. Also let's not forget our friendly orangoutang will have nuclear weapons should he decide to go to war.

Quote:Plus that would be a huge commitment of manpower and resources. We simply do not have a police force that could do that now, even as militarized as they are. Plus our judicial system is already overburdened with petty drug crimes, and it too couldn't handle a few million deportation proceedings. Nor do we have the facilities in place to handle a few hundred thousand newly orphaned children whose parents just got deported.
He may follow due process such as courts if he does go for it, but it ain't guaranteed. Not enough police? No problem. He'll sign up the paramilitary wingnut organisations that already exist, give em a badge and a mandate.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
10-11-2016, 02:39 AM
(10-11-2016 02:26 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-11-2016 01:49 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Yeah, but we're not that close. Yeah, Trump won, but by much closer margins than Obama did. And when it's all said and done, he might even have lost the popular vote, meaning he won by a fluke of the Electoral college. We're still not at Wiemar Germany levels of desperation here. While part of me see that as a legitimate concern, what I'm more concerned about is the balance of power and the erosion of checks and balances that will allow someone later who is worse than Trump to go even farther.
I don't know if there's desperation, but Trump has *sold* his campaign on desperation and fear-mongering. It worked. I agree that it'll take some time for him to build up the muscle, but I think a combination of arrogance, incompetence, boorish lack of empathy and pandering to the incredibly-more-numerous-than-previously-thought far right might well push him to something drastic. He will be under pressure to show that he's "doing something", and if that *achieves* nothing, he will definitely find a few sacrificial victims to bear the blame for him. Someone worse than Trump is a scary thought. Also let's not forget our friendly orangoutang will have nuclear weapons should he decide to go to war.

Well, it looks like he probably lost the popular vote, so he's President by fluke of the electoral college. Not everyone that voted Trump is a Oath Keeper dingbat, plus Democratic turnout was anemic. So he is President, but just barely, and certainly not with any sort of landslide or mandate from the electorate.

If he uses nuclear weapons, not only would the world turn on us, I'd like to think that we'd also turn on him. I don't see us being in a such a war as to ever necessitate a nuclear strike. I'd be hard pressed to think of a greater national shame than unprovoked and unilateral use of nuclear force.

(10-11-2016 02:26 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-11-2016 01:49 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Plus that would be a huge commitment of manpower and resources. We simply do not have a police force that could do that now, even as militarized as they are. Plus our judicial system is already overburdened with petty drug crimes, and it too couldn't handle a few million deportation proceedings. Nor do we have the facilities in place to handle a few hundred thousand newly orphaned children whose parents just got deported.
He may follow due process such as courts if he does go for it, but it ain't guaranteed. Not enough police? No problem. He'll sign up the paramilitary wingnut organisations that already exist, give em a badge and a mandate.

Sure, sign up the Oath Keepers and give them power that they're sure to abuse, in the age of smartphone cameras. If he did, they're immediately abuse it and go far afield, and the backlash to that would be intense. He'd immediately lose all Hispanic support if he let racist cowboys start rounding them up and shooting them.

Either Trump is going to subtlety destroy democracy so that the Republicans can stay in power in the future, or he's going to go off the deep end and ruin their prospects for good once people see the real repercussions that come from letting the inmates run the asylum.

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
10-11-2016, 03:05 AM
(10-11-2016 02:39 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Either Trump is going to subtlety destroy democracy so that the Republicans can stay in power in the future, or he's going to go off the deep end and ruin their prospects for good once people see the real repercussions that come from letting the inmates run the asylum.

My money is on option 2, but not before causing absolute chaos that will take years to undo.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
10-11-2016, 03:14 AM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2016 03:21 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(10-11-2016 03:05 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-11-2016 02:39 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Either Trump is going to subtlety destroy democracy so that the Republicans can stay in power in the future, or he's going to go off the deep end and ruin their prospects for good once people see the real repercussions that come from letting the inmates run the asylum.

My money is on option 2, but not before causing absolute chaos that will take years to undo.

Republicans fuck up the economy, Democrats stabilizing things, so the Republicans can fuck it up again. Its like watching a binge drinker reach for the full bottle of tequila once again, and you knowing how all this shit is going to play out. Republicans are never fiscally conservative when they're in power, and they're going to spend and spend until they can spend no more. Then when the bubble bursts and the bottom inevitably falls out, the Democrats will be left with the thankless and unpopular job of picking up the broken pieces once again.

We cannot afford to let Trump go and put two more wars on credit. The US cannot simply declare bankruptcy and restructure like one of his many, many failed businesses or real estate ventures. That would be a mark of economic ruination on a global scale.

[+] 6 users Like EvolutionKills's post
10-11-2016, 04:10 AM
Hi guys hope you are feeling a bit better than yesterday
10-11-2016, 08:37 AM
(10-11-2016 04:10 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Hi guys hope you are feeling a bit better than yesterday

I finally got some sleep so I am feeling better. I've decided to a lot of volunteering at the Democratic Party headquarters where I live. Yesterday I felt so completely helpless and hopeless and utterly depressed. Today it's quite as dire but I feel a proactive approach is the answer. Sleep helped. If I can participate in any small way to help pull the Democrats back together to oppose trumps shit I'll feel better about the future. I encourage others to do the same.

My transgender daughter is pretty scared. Last year she went to a conference in Washington DC with a group of LGBT people and talked to several congress people. Joe Bidens daughter in law ran a committee on LGBT rights (she's a great gal) and it was a wonderful experience for my daughter to meet with her. I hope these human rights committees continue but I don't know if they will have any impact with the republicans holding control over both houses. It's doesn't look good for the LGBT crowd.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
10-11-2016, 09:14 AM
Rainbow RE: President Trump: How The F**k Did It Happen?
(09-11-2016 10:52 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I am trying to hold on to the fact that nearly 50% of Americans voted for her. 50% of us got it right.

We are truly a divided nation.
(09-11-2016 11:12 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  ...
Collectively we are stupid; at least half of us.

These comments and a good few others keep referring to "half".

Take comfort in the fact that both lead candidates received a little over 18% of the total of the population of around 324.7 million.

Demography of the United States

One has to subtract the number of citizens too young to vote. I don't know exactly the percentage that is but let's be generous and say 25%.

So that would mean that both candidates received support from approx 24%.

Which means a quarter rather than a half are in the 'stupid' category.

And it also implies that half really don't give a fuck. Which is a much bigger target to blame than Gary Johnson.

But we also need to subtract from the population total the number of people that the US has incarcerated at some point ...

Ah, OK. Now I see where the 50% comes from.

Angel

(09-11-2016 01:53 PM)adey67 Wrote:  ...
In Britain we are super-sensitive to certain things, e.g. if a person doesn't respond to a comment or criticism or anecdotes etc. etc. we assume (or at least some folks do) that we have perhaps offended that person inadvertently

I didn't know that this was a Brit-thing, I thought it was just me! I'm relieved.

There are a small number here who haven't replied to my (in my opinion friendly) PMs or posts and, yes, I too assume that I have offended them.

Adey is one of these.

Angel

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
10-11-2016, 09:18 AM
(09-11-2016 09:55 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Has anyone checked the newspaper headlines in Europe, the UK and Downunder?

I've been reading the Guardian myself ...

Be calm: Trump is not the worst and won’t go unchallenged

Will Donald Trump destroy America?

I've heard enough of the white male rage narrative

Transgender Americans fear for safety after Trump win: 'We are traumatized'
10-11-2016, 09:25 AM
(09-11-2016 11:06 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(09-11-2016 10:52 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I am trying to hold on to the fact that nearly 50% of Americans voted for her. 50% of us got it right.

We are truly a divided nation.

What you guys desperately need now is a nice juicy fat blood clot or preferably two to take up permanent residence in trumps coronary arteries. Big Grin

Actually the best thing would be for Pence the ideologue to get the blood clot. Then Trump would have to do all the work (like a president is supposed to do). He'd completely flounder. It would also take time for the VP to be replaced.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post