President Trump: How The F**k Did It Happen?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
10-11-2016, 09:31 AM
RE: President Trump: How The F**k Did It Happen?
A really good article from a surprising source

It makes a lot of sense and I actually drew some comfort from it.
Understanding is half the battle.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Reducetarian's post
10-11-2016, 09:32 AM
(10-11-2016 09:14 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(09-11-2016 10:52 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I am trying to hold on to the fact that nearly 50% of Americans voted for her. 50% of us got it right.

We are truly a divided nation.
(09-11-2016 11:12 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  ...
Collectively we are stupid; at least half of us.

These comments and a good few others keep referring to "half".

Take comfort in the fact that both lead candidates received a little over 18% of the total of the population of around 324.7 million.

Demography of the United States

One has to subtract the number of citizens too young to vote. I don't know exactly the percentage that is but let's be generous and say 25%.

So that would mean that both candidates received support from approx 24%.

Which means a quarter rather than a half are in the 'stupid' category.

And it also implies that half really don't give a fuck. Which is a much bigger target to blame than Gary Johnson.

But we also need to subtract from the population total the number of people that the US has incarcerated at some point ...

Ah, OK. Now I see where the 50% comes from.

Angel

(09-11-2016 01:53 PM)adey67 Wrote:  ...
In Britain we are super-sensitive to certain things, e.g. if a person doesn't respond to a comment or criticism or anecdotes etc. etc. we assume (or at least some folks do) that we have perhaps offended that person inadvertently

I didn't know that this was a Brit-thing, I thought it was just me! I'm relieved.

There are a small number here who haven't replied to my (in my opinion friendly) PMs or posts and, yes, I too assume that I have offended them.

Adey is one of these.

Angel
I'm probably just an oversensitive twit reallySmile
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
10-11-2016, 09:36 AM
(09-11-2016 11:29 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  This is precisely what Hitler did. I know that trope is marched out all the time and probably too often it is a gross overgeneralization. But it seems right now that the only actual differences between Trump and Hitler are that Trump was never a painter and he didn't lose the first time he tried

Actually there are quite stark differences between Hitler and Trump.
  • Hitler never had a whiff of scandal about him
  • Hitler was competent and could apply himself
  • Hitler came from lowly a background and worked his way up

Trump is more like Hermann Göring
  • Vain and overly concerned about how people saw him
  • Lucky. Becoming a fighter ace in WWI was large a matter of luck and this gave Göring a respected position. Trump was born into a rich family.
  • Corrupt and only concerned about his own gain.
[+] 7 users Like Mathilda's post
10-11-2016, 09:38 AM
(10-11-2016 09:36 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(09-11-2016 11:29 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  This is precisely what Hitler did. I know that trope is marched out all the time and probably too often it is a gross overgeneralization. But it seems right now that the only actual differences between Trump and Hitler are that Trump was never a painter and he didn't lose the first time he tried

• Lucky. Becoming a fighter ace in WWI was large a matter of luck and this gave Göring a respected position. Trump was born into a rich family.

The important part is that Trump is a goddamn nightmare.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
10-11-2016, 09:51 AM
(10-11-2016 09:18 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(09-11-2016 09:55 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Has anyone checked the newspaper headlines in Europe, the UK and Downunder?

I've been reading the Guardian myself ...

Be calm: Trump is not the worst and won’t go unchallenged

Will Donald Trump destroy America?

I've heard enough of the white male rage narrative

Transgender Americans fear for safety after Trump win: 'We are traumatized'

I read that last article you posted. Yes, the transgender rights are going to take a huge hit. I'm worried for my daughter. Fortunately we live in the liberal bubble of Portland, Oregon here on the west coast of the US and she's pretty safe here.

My husband's family is from South Carolina, the buckle of the Bible Belt of the U S, and a year ago we went to a family reunion there. His family is fairly liberal and sort of surrounded my daughter and protected her from the South Carolina bigots. When she would go to the bathroom in a restaurant one of her female cousins would always go with her and she was never left alone shopping for trinkets in a store. My daughter looks completely female but is still scared of these situations. This was sort of off topic....sorry.

With trump in the White House bigotry has won.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
10-11-2016, 09:53 AM
(10-11-2016 09:32 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(10-11-2016 09:14 AM)DLJ Wrote:  These comments and a good few others keep referring to "half".

Take comfort in the fact that both lead candidates received a little over 18% of the total of the population of around 324.7 million.

Demography of the United States

One has to subtract the number of citizens too young to vote. I don't know exactly the percentage that is but let's be generous and say 25%.

So that would mean that both candidates received support from approx 24%.

Which means a quarter rather than a half are in the 'stupid' category.

And it also implies that half really don't give a fuck. Which is a much bigger target to blame than Gary Johnson.

But we also need to subtract from the population total the number of people that the US has incarcerated at some point ...

Ah, OK. Now I see where the 50% comes from.

Angel

I didn't know that this was a Brit-thing, I thought it was just me! I'm relieved.

There are a small number here who haven't replied to my (in my opinion friendly) PMs or posts and, yes, I too assume that I have offended them.

Adey is one of these.

Angel
I'm probably just an oversensitive twit reallySmile

I am too. It's ok to be sensitive.

10-11-2016, 09:56 AM
(10-11-2016 09:36 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  

Goring fortunately wasn't the head of the government. trump is. That's scary.

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
10-11-2016, 10:13 AM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2016 10:49 AM by yakherder.)
(10-11-2016 09:31 AM)Reducetarian Wrote:  A really good article from a surprising source

It makes a lot of sense and I actually drew some comfort from it.
Understanding is half the battle.

That should be required reading.

Cracked has always been pretty funny, but often with very good points mixed in.

Edit: Never put the words to it in the same way this article did, but I can truly relate.

I've lived in an isolated Alaskan community where a seasonal fishing village of 50 or so people were responsible for everything. No law enforcement, no hospital, no public school, only a few dried bulk goods in the grocery store.

While in China, I spent half my time in major metropolitan cities that make the likes of NYC a quaint village by comparison, and the other half with my ex wife's family in rural Yancheng where flushing toilets and refrigerators were considered a luxury for the rich.

I've worked in UN refugee camps surrounded by people who knew no other existence than one of mass murder, starvation, and systematic gang rape. Their faces will forever prevent me from being able to feel much in the way of sympathy for what I perceive to be the spoiled masses I'm now surrounded by back in this ridiculous first world bubble.

I now live in suburban Canada, but each month return to rural Vermont where I work with, lead, and am lead by soldiers who, on average, make about 1/5 my salary and consider themselves lucky to find decent jobs at the newly opened Wal-Mart. A few lucky, experienced soldiers have managed to land jobs in the local police force or as correctional officers, still making a fraction of what I make doing the same job in a different place. The running joke is that a significant portion of correctional officers and inmates are in the same National Guard unit once they leave the jail.

Perhaps the undefined demographic in which I tend to find myself is why I can't help but look at either Trump or Hillary with anything but contempt. This isn't just about right and wrong. It's about a widening division, both sides of which have their merits and idiocies, but neither of which can be completely discounted if we want to truly understand what just happened and why it really happened beyond "because they're racist Hitler's blah blah blah etc."

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
10-11-2016, 11:37 AM
(10-11-2016 09:51 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  With trump in the White House bigotry has won.

This too shall pass. They're dying off at ever increasing rate. There's like no trace of it in my 20 something kids demographics.

#sigh
10-11-2016, 12:14 PM
(10-11-2016 12:48 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Ask for creating a few regiments of Stormtroopers to round up and deport a few millions people at gunpoint? Destroying thousands of families, and taking away the parents of American citizens? Well, that all depends on how crazy everyone else is willing to get.

I can think of a labor pool ready and willing to do that job.
Militias.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user