Presidential Candidate by Lot

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2016, 08:03 AM
Presidential Candidate by Lot
Take a good hard look at this election and tell me that you really think the "Big Two" political parties really offered you the best there is for you to pick as a candidate.....

I've got a better idea.

Choose the candidates by lot.

Advantages --- No political party interference
No presidential political campaign.
You won't get stuck voting for some political pinhead that everyone despises.

OK --- here's how it would work --

Like jury duty -- a group of "Presidential Candidates - would be picked randomly.... Social Security numbers, voter registration, driver's licenses -- whatever....

The candidates would have to be (by Constitution) native born, and over 35 years of age. They would then vetted by the Secret Service - to ensure they're not some evil criminal genius trying to rule the world.

Pick a pool of about 1000 or so.

Then -- give these people some comprehensive testing. If they're mentally deficient or just plain stupid -- we'll drop them from the list.

The identities of the candidates (like jurors) would be kept secret.

Then -- they would be given a long questionnaire -- that they would have to fill out --- asking questions about the issues of the day --- such as abortion, gun control, religious freedoms, ect ----

Then, an Electoral College could further vet the group down to 10 or so candidates.

Those questionnaire results would then be posted online -- for several months ahead of the election -along with a bio of the candidate that gives just the candidate's level of education and a bit about their job history---- again - with the identities of the "candidates" kept secret. This would allow every voter to look at these people and get a feel for what they're like.

Then - we have an election --- and the 1st place winner is President - 2nd is VP.

Tell me -- is there a better possible way to take bias against race, gender, sex - or just the way someone looks out of the equation???????

I'm betting we'd get some really good people this way.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
11-06-2016, 10:06 AM
RE: Presidential Candidate by Lot
Your system assures that all the candidates are "responsible", which is a great first step, but does nothing to make the electorate responsible, which has been the greater problem all along, and is the most difficult to rectify. Hence I'd recommend your system to determine the office holders directly but eliminate voting altogether - a government by draft. We've already established term limits to keep bad apples from tainting the barrel; those limits would still apply. I can't see any difference between your system and a draft other than the voting, which, people being people, would contaminate the selection by making factors such as personality and hairspray relevant. So eliminate the voting and establish a good vetting system and staff the offices of governance by draft, just like jury duty.
11-06-2016, 10:18 AM
Hillary and Trump are the 'best' this country can come up with?!?!?! Weeping

It should be obvious that the process has to change...I just don't know how to do it.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
11-06-2016, 10:18 AM
I think just forbidding ad hominems and making them provide proof for all claims would go a long way.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
11-06-2016, 10:59 AM
I have a better lot.

All prospective candidates stand on one leg on tight wire strung over an active volcano. The last one left standing can be the president.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
11-06-2016, 11:25 AM
(11-06-2016 10:18 AM)Dom Wrote:  I think just forbidding ad hominems and making them provide proof for all claims would go a long way.

Even more important, in my book, is eliminating corporate donations, and limiting private donations.

I personally think that private-funded campaigns should be outlawed. All campaigns should be paid-for by the government.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
11-06-2016, 12:03 PM
I am disappointed there's been so little public readjust the voting system talk this cycle to this point. I didn't even hear it in the two libertarian debates I heard.

Why must I be Ladd? via da Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
11-06-2016, 12:07 PM
(11-06-2016 11:25 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(11-06-2016 10:18 AM)Dom Wrote:  I think just forbidding ad hominems and making them provide proof for all claims would go a long way.

Even more important, in my book, is eliminating corporate donations, and limiting private donations.

I personally think that private-funded campaigns should be outlawed. All campaigns should be paid-for by the government.

Commercial corruption and institutional corruption really aren't much different......

There's just more money in the commercial version...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
11-06-2016, 01:51 PM
I like it. It sounds like a plot device for some cool sci-fi.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-06-2016, 02:53 PM
(11-06-2016 01:51 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I like it. It sounds like a plot device for some cool sci-fi.

Me too. It would be like being summoned for jury duty. "Sorry dude, looks like it's your turn in the barrel. I know it's a dirty job but somebody's gotta do it."

#sigh