Pretend Atheists vs. Real Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2013, 04:15 AM

RE: Pretend Atheists vs. Real Atheists
(22-02-2013 03:45 AM)TheDeadCatAlive Wrote:  I'm an atheist because I simply do not believe the fairy tales as written in holy books, such as the Bible and the Quran, to name some, who claim to have the right to claim that their book is evidence an sich. It is not.

What does that have to do with the existence of God?

Quote:That's not how truth works. Truth is based on a scientific method, researching and proving what you claim. if you can't, why on Earth should I believe it? "But it's in a book!" Yeah, so is Harry Potter, but I don't see you running around swinging a wand.

Truth is based on the scientific method, huh? Acutally, that's not true. Truth is based on reality. The scientific method is used to confirm predictions made about repeating phenomena. It's one tool used to gain knowledge.

So, by your own words, you don't believe in justice, love, subjective experience, logic, philosophy or art. None of those have anything to do with the "scientific method."

Don't you feel limited? Don't you find it strange that so few people are atheists? I mean, if you are the holder of truth and everyone else is burdened by theistic ideas, why are there so few atheists? I have a hypothesis we should test scientifically: So few people are atheists because atheists are wrong. Isaac Newton wasn't an atheist. Galileo wasn't an atheist. Plato wasn't an atheist. Kant wasn't an atheist. Descartes wasn't an atheist. Bill Clinton wasn't an atheist. Ronald Regan wasn't an atheist. Margaret Thatcher wasn't an atheist. Tony Blair wasn't an atheist. The Pope isn't an atheist. Billy Graham isn't an atheist. Jesus wasn't an atheist, Mohammed and Ghandi weren't atheists, Malcom X and Martin Luther King weren't atheists. King Henry the VIII wasn't an atheist, and Queen Elizabeth I (or II for that matter) wasn't an atheist.

But you're an atheist.

Any thoughts on that?
Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2013, 04:18 AM
"and if truth be known they spend a lot of time in their own head arguing with the very God they say they don't believe in."

I'll say this for you... at least you know where god actually lives.

Oh and... projection much?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
22-02-2013, 04:20 AM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2013 04:24 AM by TheDeadCatAlive.)
(22-02-2013 04:15 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(22-02-2013 03:45 AM)TheDeadCatAlive Wrote:  I'm an atheist because I simply do not believe the fairy tales as written in holy books, such as the Bible and the Quran, to name some, who claim to have the right to claim that their book is evidence an sich. It is not.

What does that have to do with the existence of God?

Quote:That's not how truth works. Truth is based on a scientific method, researching and proving what you claim. if you can't, why on Earth should I believe it? "But it's in a book!" Yeah, so is Harry Potter, but I don't see you running around swinging a wand.

Truth is based on the scientific method, huh? Acutally, that's not true. Truth is based on reality. The scientific method is used to confirm predictions made about repeating phenomena. It's one tool used to gain knowledge.

So, by your own words, you don't believe in justice, love, subjective experience, logic, philosophy or art. None of those have anything to do with the "scientific method."

Don't you feel limited? Don't you find it strange that so few people are atheists? I mean, if you are the holder of truth and everyone else is burdened by theistic ideas, why are there so few atheists? I have a hypothesis we should test scientifically: So few people are atheists because atheists are wrong. Isaac Newton wasn't an atheist. Galileo wasn't an atheist. Plato wasn't an atheist. Kant wasn't an atheist. Descartes wasn't an atheist. Bill Clinton wasn't an atheist. Ronald Regan wasn't an atheist. Margaret Thatcher wasn't an atheist. Tony Blair wasn't an atheist. The Pope isn't an atheist. Billy Graham isn't an atheist. Jesus wasn't an atheist, Mohammed and Ghandi weren't atheists, Malcom X and Martin Luther King weren't atheists. King Henry the VIII wasn't an atheist, and Queen Elizabeth I (or II for that matter) wasn't an atheist.

But you're an atheist.

Any thoughts on that?

If truth is based on reality then faith is based on religion. But that doesn't interconnect those two.
And you wan't to prove there are few atheists by naming some people who were not?
That's exactly the method by which you prove God...
It speaks for itself that Jesus was not an atheist. He did not exist, for that matter.

And no, I don't believe in love, I believe in the chemical reactions causing you to feel warm and tingly inside, but not in love as being there.
Nor justice.
I'm a fallibilist.

“If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.”
Haruki Murakami, Norwegian Wood
22-02-2013, 04:23 AM

(22-02-2013 04:20 AM)TheDeadCatAlive Wrote:  If truth is based on reality then faith is based on religion. But that doesn't interconnect those two.

Well, I might as well forget trying to get blood out of this particular stone. Hobo
Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2013, 04:23 AM
(22-02-2013 04:15 AM)Egor Wrote:  Don't you feel limited? Don't you find it strange that so few people are atheists? I mean, if you are the holder of truth and everyone else is burdened by theistic ideas, why are there so few atheists? I have a hypothesis we should test scientifically: So few people are atheists because atheists are wrong. Isaac Newton wasn't an atheist. Galileo wasn't an atheist. Plato wasn't an atheist. Kant wasn't an atheist. Descartes wasn't an atheist. Bill Clinton wasn't an atheist. Ronald Regan wasn't an atheist. Margaret Thatcher wasn't an atheist. Tony Blair wasn't an atheist. The Pope isn't an atheist. Billy Graham isn't an atheist. Jesus wasn't an atheist, Mohammed and Ghandi weren't atheists, Malcom X and Martin Luther King weren't atheists. King Henry the VIII wasn't an atheist, and Queen Elizabeth I (or II for that matter) wasn't an atheist.

But you're an atheist.

Any thoughts on that?

Yes, I have thoughts. I don't find it odd at all. Knowledge spreads slowly, this has always been the case. There was a time when most people thought the sun orbitted the earth, the earth was flat, and that witches were real. Did that make any of them right? No. It made them intellectually defficient when compared to the people that knew the truth. Much like yourself.

Argument from popularity, aren't you a clever one.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

Find all posts by this user
22-02-2013, 04:27 AM
(22-02-2013 04:23 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(22-02-2013 04:20 AM)TheDeadCatAlive Wrote:  If truth is based on reality then faith is based on religion. But that doesn't interconnect those two.

Well, I might as well forget trying to get blood out of this particular stone. Hobo
Hurts, huh, arguing with someone who has actual understanding of logical implications.
But don't feel sorry for yourself. It hurts me as much that I'm arguing someone who has non of this knowledge at all.
You can go on with your ad nauseam arguments or post hoc ergo propter hoc, which all of you nutcases like to spread.

“If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.”
22-02-2013, 04:27 AM
(22-02-2013 04:15 AM)Egor Wrote:  Don't you feel limited? Don't you find it strange that so few people are atheists? I mean, if you are the holder of truth and everyone else is burdened by theistic ideas, why are there so few atheists? I have a hypothesis we should test scientifically: So few people are atheists because atheists are wrong. Isaac Newton wasn't an atheist. Galileo wasn't an atheist. Plato wasn't an atheist. Kant wasn't an atheist. Descartes wasn't an atheist. Bill Clinton wasn't an atheist. Ronald Regan wasn't an atheist. Margaret Thatcher wasn't an atheist. Tony Blair wasn't an atheist. The Pope isn't an atheist. Billy Graham isn't an atheist. Jesus wasn't an atheist, Mohammed and Ghandi weren't atheists, Malcom X and Martin Luther King weren't atheists. King Henry the VIII wasn't an atheist, and Queen Elizabeth I (or II for that matter) wasn't an atheist.

But you're an atheist.

Any thoughts on that?

Noam Chomsky is an atheist. Sigmund Freud was an atheist. Ernest Hemingway was an atheist. John Lennon was an atheist. George Orwell was an atheist. Thomas Edison was an atheist. Kurt Vonnegut was an atheist. Mark Twain was an atheist. Carl Sagan, Thomas Paine, Stephen Hawking, Neitzsche, Dennett, Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens - all atheists.

WHAT

IS

YOUR

POINT?

Are you actually pushing a logical fallacy as a valid point?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

In your 90+ years on this earth, did you bother to pick up a single book?

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 4 users Like Buddy Christ's post
22-02-2013, 04:28 AM
Carry on Ego. Your creating an internet footprint that I will show to any followers you may get in the future, showing the "true colors" of their beloved reverend Thumbsup

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 7 users Like bemore's post
22-02-2013, 04:29 AM
(22-02-2013 04:27 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  

But you're an atheist.

Any thoughts on that?

Noam Chomsky is an atheist. Sigmund Freud was an atheist. Ernest Hemingway was an atheist. John Lennon was an atheist. George Orwell was an atheist. Thomas Edison was an atheist. Kurt Vonnegut was an atheist. Mark Twain was an atheist. Carl Sagan, Thomas Paine, Stephen Hawking, Neitzsche, Dennett, Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens - all atheists.

WHAT

IS

YOUR

POINT?

Are you actually pushing a logical fallacy as a valid point?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_atheists , just to 'make a strong argument'

22-02-2013, 04:32 AM
Shall we also bring up the correlation between atheism and higher levels of education?

Scientific literacy stomps theism. I wonder why that is...

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious